Hard to steer 99 Captiva 232 Open, w 7.4mpi & bravo 3

The steering wheel has always been stiff on my Rinker, but at idle speeds (thru a tight channel for example), the boat drifts left/right dramatically.  I assumed this was because of the dual props, and no fin on the annode above them.  However, its becoming stiffer, and becoming harder to control.  Does anyone have similar issues? or suggestions to repair?

Answers

• craigswardmtbcraigswardmtb Member Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭
    When out of the water can you move the drive left and right? It may be the swivel steering pin has corroded and rusted and started to round the gimble ring swivel shaft square hole.
    Or if it's just stiff movement when trying to turn the steering wheel you may need to replace your steering cable.
  • Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Check the gimbal ring, the steering cable, the steering rack, power steering pump  and where the steering cable is attached to the steering wheel. Any of those could be the problem.

The fin on the anode is for boats that don't have power steering.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Robs_232Robs_232 Member Posts: 212 ✭✭✭

I have  a 2004 232. I had a hard steering issue at the end of the 2013 season. The hard steering issue I had was my PS pump was low on pressure. This made steering hard, which in turn made the steering cable work harder to turn ,and wore out my cable. My marine serviceman tested the pump pressure and found low pressure. He then removed the clevis pin at steering arm on gimbal ring and found the cable, without being attached to the steering arm, was hard to move back and forth. He replaced pump and cable, works like new now.

Like Craig and Greg said, I would see if you can move drive while someone holds the steering wheel. If you have movement in the drive I would check the play watching the steering arm at the clevis pin between cable and arm. That will tell you if it is in cable, steering arm and/or gimbal ring.

My buddy had loose steering and it was his steering arm, although he didn't have hard steering, and had major wondering at lower RPM. He had to have his steering arm and gimbal ring housing replaced. Your issue could be multiple issues.

• Lifes GoodLifes Good Member Posts: 465 ✭✭✭
    Hard steering or not... the bow going left and right at slow speed is normal. It's called bow steering. In essence single stern drives at slow speed allows the bow to act like a rudder. Fairly normal for 18ft to 24ft Ski boats.
  • EzgoinEzgoin Member Posts: 80 ✭✭
    I have the same issue with the 262 I just got.   In the water and under power at idle speeds it's stiff and inconsistent throughout the lock to lock.  Really takes two hands to steer it at idle.  Makes docking and driving it up on the trailer challenging, especially for my wife.