Impeller replacement instructions?

buggyjdavbuggyjdav Member Posts: 134 ✭✭
Anyone have a good site with instructions on replacing the impeller on a merc 5.7 350 mpi horizon?

Comments

• CaptianDanCaptianDan Member Posts: 94 ✭✭

Have a look at this youtube clip.  Pretty good straight forward instructions, did both of mine in under 20 mins each.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxLfF2abE_o

"Pipe Dream"
    2002 Rinker 342 Fiesta Vee
    2 x 350 MAG MPI Horizon Petrol

• buggyjdavbuggyjdav Member Posts: 134 ✭✭
    With my setup I believe I start from the front by loosening the belt pulley and going in from the front?

Correct, work the adjuster to get the belt off and that should give you the room needed to get the pump removed.

"Pipe Dream"

• rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Captain, I assume by 20 mins you mean AFTER the pump is out! It's not to bad but the first go around is tuff. You want to pull the entire pump off by: pull the hoses off the back of the pump, when you re assemble, put some grease in there as it will make it easier the next time. There is a mounting bracket that the pump is mounted to- don't try to pull the pump off by itself, undo that bracket and take it off with the pump ( I missed this tip the first go around ). You did not mention if you were replacing for maintenance or you had an over heat. Mine was the big old brass housing and I was replacing for getting hot- the mating surfaces of the pump were grooved to the point it would not pump properly. If you do a search, I have a thread there on pump/heat replacement and I'd suggest you review through that as I have some pictures of the wearing on the pump that I would not have thought a problem and it was. I also found a replacement kit that resolved this issue without replacing the pump housing itself as I think it is around 500 bucks plus!

Good luck and hit back with any questions!
  • frenchshipfrenchship Member Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭
    One note when you remove your belt marked so it goes back running in the same direction.
    I do indeed mean after the pump is out Ras, it is a pain getting that thing out!

"Pipe Dream"

• buggyjdavbuggyjdav Member Posts: 134 ✭✭
    Decided that I don't have the time to tackle this. Had marina replace both impellers..  $750 total... Then the phone rings... Both water pumps are shot, add another $1500 cha ching. Will the thermostats be replaced with the pumps or do I need to tell them to make sure these get done? Thanks again 
  • 212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jeez... That's freakin crazy... I need to travel to Jersey and prep boats during the spring.  That is robbery on the high seas.  Seriously.. $500 would have been sufficient, w/ $800 tops depending on quality of w/p's. 

You might want to mention to them you want new stats included in that price, along with new hoses and especially new clamps.  Reusing clamps is tricky business. 
    I agree, very steep.  Tell them to through in a couple of tanks of gas too!

"Pipe Dream"

• raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,455 admin
    edited June 2015
    No price is correct. I just replaced mine last spring and they were $750 each. I got mine from a friend that owns a marina. Its just an expensive part. There is no way you could find that for $500 for the original OEM. 
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
    Are you guys talking circulation pumps or raw water pumps?  If you're talking circulation pumps, an aluminum one from an auto parts store is just fine... You just don't populate the shaft is all... They can be had for less than a benjii each.  Clamps and stats, add another $20~30, and you have a total of $200~220ish in parts... It can't take more than three hours to install all, billed at $100~125 an hour, you should be in the neighborhood of slightly over half one boat unit... 

If you're talking raw water.... I've no clue whatsoever. 
  • raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,455 admin
    Raw water pump.....
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod
    OK, first there are two types of seawater pumps.  One type can be had for ~$300.  The other is ~$700.  The expensive one has the air fittings on it so you can use the hand pump to pump air thru the system, causing the water to leave.  This can be used for winterizing.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    and dream, that is the big ol brass pump and yes they are around 700 bucks which is why I used the stainless steel spacers and the shorter water pump impeller for 100 bucks- I'm told these are widely used and would not be surprised if perhaps some marinas might use this method and charge for a new pump-not that any mechanics at marinas would do that. If I replaced the pumps I would mark them somehow and then make sure they handed me the old ones. The other style used for the raw water involves some plastic and is much cheaper but they have kits for those as well. I can't spend the money like I hear a lot of you guys and have to do the work myself and learn a heck of a lot real quick!
  • LaReaLaRea Member Posts: 7,504 ✭✭✭✭✭
    $750 for impellers is obscene.  I'd love to see the itemized bill.  I can replace two impellers in 90 minutes, and I'm not that good.  A pro could do it in an hour.  

When I replaced my pumps, I couldn't justify the price of OEM pumps given their expected service life.  I got the Hardin Marine stainless steel pumps with replaceable wear plates.  They will last many years longer, and they only cost $520 for the complete pump with pulley pre-installed.  Plus they look fantastic.  

http://www.hardin-marine.com/c-132-mercury-sea-pumps.aspx

• seguirseguir Member Posts: 170 ✭✭✭
    Just had my single impeller done this year, I already had the impeller. Labour was $180. Three years ago had it done and cost $450.00 for one.  Lots of room in the engine compartment 1 to 1.5 hours labour.  Need to shop around.