Generator starts, runs and stops fine but won't accept any loading

olemiss89olemiss89 Member Posts: 6 ✭✭
i have an 06 360EC with a Kohler 5kw gen. I can start and stop it locally and remotely from the interior panel. However, when I switch off all systems running, switch off shore power and switch on the generator switches I get no green light or when I try to start systems (A/C, microwave, etc.) I have no power. 
Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Comments

• raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,455 admin
    M y genny starts fine and after start up (with no load) starts "surging" when I put a heavy load on it runs fine. Shut down the load and starts surging again. Strange problem but runs every time and runs great with a load..........
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ++ to Al. These eat spark plugs. Note there are (2). NGK BP4ES if I remember correct. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,455 admin
    Thanks Al I do have the plugs changed every season. I will look at the choke. Again thanks
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • explore7425explore7425 Member Posts: 150 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2015
    Check the white switch on the generator at the top right hand corner. This needs to be on in order for power to leave the genset. Also get a multimeter and check all the fuses in the genset. I have seen a lot of blown fuses in the gensets lately. Two this weekend on our raft up believe it or not. 
    Bella Sabrina II  370EC
  • craigswardmtbcraigswardmtb Member Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭
    That choke is a joke.  Clean the carb and choke area and see if the dieseling goes away.  Mine hassles me every season so far but comes back to life after a good cleaning.  I may replace the choke soon and hopefully it goes away for good.
  • craigswardmtbcraigswardmtb Member Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭
    This reminds me, I need to replace the white plug that goes into the inverter on my 5e.  Where would i purchase one of these?  Or better yet, does anyone know how to get a wire back into one of the receptacles in the plug?  My red wire pulled and now the genny won't start from inside the cabin.  Opening the engine hatch everytime I want power is becoming a pain.
  • Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • olemiss89olemiss89 Member Posts: 6 ✭✭
    Great suggestions, much appreciated. I'm headed out Thursday night to do some more testing.

• HamdogHamdog Member Posts: 247 ✭✭
    I'm with explore on this one. Sounds like the switch on top of the generator is turned off. Same symptoms on a buddies boat this past weekend.
    "Wetted" Bliss 2005 Rinker 342 - Black Hull - Twin Mercruiser 350 Mags - BIII's
  • olemiss89olemiss89 Member Posts: 6 ✭✭
    Sometimes it's easy, in this case the white switch solved it. Felt dumb not remebering that but appreciate the reminder!! Next up, windlass 90 amp fuse...