What's inside my swim platform?

So, wifey bought us a grill for our 2009 280 Express Cruiser.   After much debate and discussion, it has been decided that the best mounting method for us will be a pedestal mount on the starboard side of the swim platform.  My questions are:
1.  What exactly is "inside" my platform?  Foam?  Wood?  More fiberglass?  Empty space?  I'm assuming that there isn't anything "important" there that I shouldn't drill into, but I'm not positive.
2.  Does anybody have any advice on how I should go about drilling/sealing the holes for the mount?  
Any tips/tricks would be appreciated.
As always, thanks in advance.  I've been helped numerous times on this forum.

Comments

• Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Should be wood sandwiched by the fiberglass. Sealing properly is critical. Do not use anything with silicone in it. Personally, I am a big fan of butyl tape. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is thicker than you think. I used 3 inch 1/4 x 20 oval head stainless bolts with fender washers and nylon lock nuts on the back side. Where I mounted my grill, there is a support that runs across the platform, so I had to use two screws in there. I sealed the holes with 3M 4200.

2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • redlightningredlightning Member Posts: 284 ✭✭✭
    what is the reason for not using silicone.  I have seen this mentioned on other threads. 
    2011Sea Ray 450 Twin 8.2’s Bravo III Sterndrive
    2012 390 Sea Ray Twin 8.2’s Inboard - Sold
    2008 330 Express Cruiser - Sold
  • Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Silicone does not provide a waterproof seal as good as 4200 or 5200. Remember, 4200 above the water and 5200 below the water. 
    Silicone also stays with the gelcoat. You have to abrasively remove it, nothing else will ever seal correct again otherwise. There are good marine caulks too. The plus with butyl tape is it is removeable and never hardens. I'll post a link about it seperately. 

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wouldnt use the tape on the swim platform. 
    Read this, you'll change your mind.  I rebed almost all my bow rail mountings with it, all my deck hatches, my dinghy davit too.

http://www.pbase.com/mainecruising/rebedding_hardware&page=1

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bringing this thread back to life.  Cableguy Greg said:
    It is thicker than you think. I used 3 inch 1/4 x 20 oval head stainless bolts with fender washers and nylon lock nuts on the back side. Where I mounted my grill, there is a support that runs across the platform, so I had to use two screws in there. I sealed the holes with 3M 4200.

@Greg, if you were to do it again, would you still bolt all the way through the platform?  I plan to mount my BBQ in approximately the same place on my 330EC.

Thank you.
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes I would. I would rather have it through bolted than just screwed into the fiberglass. 
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,882 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Do you know anyting about thickened epoxy resin?  If you over drill all the holes then fill with thickened epoxy resin, then drill your mounting holes then. End result, if the 4200 or butyl tape ever leaks then the water will never reach the wood.  

I consider this method mandatory for all transom mounted parts. 
  • YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    If I could hit the integrated support beam with two of the screws like you did, I would be confident enough in the strength to not worry about drilling all the way through.

Has anyone ever taken a studfinder to the platform to try to find the supports? 

I really wish my boat was here already... in the meantime I'm living vicariously through Aero!
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,776 ✭✭✭✭✭
    YYZRC said: I really wish my boat was here already... in the meantime I'm living vicariously through Aero!
    LoL!! Fell free to ask any questions!
    2008 330EC