'06 Captiva 192- Which Anchor Fits?

NRathNRath Member Posts: 135 ✭✭
When used boat shopping, one of my requirements was that it have an anchor locker.  The Captiva fills that and all the others!  So, I'm joining the Rinker family.  Ironically, the original owner always kept his anchor in the ski locker.  I tried to put the Danforth anchor in the locker and it won't fit!  It's like the rectangular bar the chain hooks to is too long.  The round bars on each side fit the locker and the plastic clips.  I assume the long rectangular bar and some chain should be inserted first, then the main part of the anchor goes in and the round bars snap in the holders.  But, the angle of the hull won't allow the anchor to go far enough to reach the snaps or close the door.  Either, I should have a smaller anchor? Or, I could cut some of the fiberglass from the bottom of the hole- improving the insertion angle?  Or, maybe there is a Danforth anchor with a "bent" bar that would let it curve into the locker?
Part 2 of this question is, assuming I get the an anchor to fit, would it be practical to slide the rope and chain down in the hull?  I can imagine the chain bouncing around and doing some damage.  The rope, not so much, but maybe getting hung up on something and not coming out when I need it.  And for that matter, the rectangular bar of the anchor will be bouncing up and down as well, right?

Thanks in Advance!

Comments

• StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    Most marine sites that sell anchors will say what size boat it's is for.  Overtons has an 8 LBS Danforth style that it says is for up to 24FT.  

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• nhsdnhsd Member Posts: 182 ✭✭✭

On my 212 I had to cut off about 1/4" of each blade (if that is the correct term) of the crown in order for my Danforth style anchor to fit and the door to close. It is fairly soft metal and cuts off easily with a die grinder. I just painted the cuts with some spray galvanizing paint when done. This had no impact on the functionality of the anchor. I definitely let the rope as well as the chain fall into the locker and have had no issues with the chain doing any damage at all.

Dave

2002 Captiva 212, 5.0 220 hp, Alpha 1, 1.62 gears

Moon Township, PA - boating in the Ohio River

• NRathNRath Member Posts: 135 ✭✭
    Thanks for the comments

Is it safe to assume 8lbs is the actual weight of the anchor?  Without chain?

Just got the all clear from the dealer!  Time to go to the bank!! B)
    This what I've got.  Sticker says its an 8#.  Guess I'm looking at cutting the hull making a slot for the bar to pass through.  I'm sure not liking dragging this chain all around the fiberglass.
    Man, get an anchor that fits. Don't cut up your hull to keep an old crappy anchor.

Dave

Lol, yeah, I agree!  back to the original question: Which one will fit?  An 8# Danforth apparently doesn't.
    Mine is also an 8 lb Danforth style anchor and fits well (after the minor trimming previously discussed). 

Dave

Good to see nhsd- thanks for taking the time to snap those.  The pocket looks about the same.  The bar looks a bit shorter on yours, I'll pull mine out tomorrow to compare them.  Cutting the anchor is certainly easier than the fiberglass pocket!

That anchor looks like new compared to mine. The guy I bought from said he almost always made a short trip and anchored and literally stayed in that spot all day.  Its believable since the boat only has 81 hrs.
    nhsd said:
    Man, get an anchor that fits. Don't cut up your hull to keep an old crappy anchor.
    Message received!  So, does this pass muster?  Lol.  Same anchor, just 6" shorter, a bit of cleaning, and a fresh coat of cold galvanizing compound.  Fits like a champ!  Not quite as good as a new one, but it should do for a couple years.  Again, thanks for the pic to confirm cutting it to be OK.

Looks great!! Another hull saved from unnecessary cutting... my job here is done!  LOL

Dave

• JC290JC290 Member Posts: 706 ✭✭✭
    Nice work looks good 
    Thanks guys.  I put it to use yesterday evening- works like a champ.  

If anyone ever comes looking- about 17" is as long as will fit.  That's from center of the 1/2" round bar that holds it all together to the end of the rectangular bar where the chain connects.

Only problem I had was that when I pulled it up, it had some mud on it.  So what's a guy to do but hang over the bow and clean it off!  I was pleasantly surprised that with only about 8 hrs of cure time (baking in the sun at 95º), the finish held up fine under water.  It's def not as durable as hot dipped galvanized, but it'll do.  Maybe I should spray it done with some teflon now!  LOL.
  • Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod
    Ahhh, another happy Rinker owner!  :-)  That anchor sure looks pretty!  Maybe you should just get it chromed!

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express