Anchor for 2004 282 BR

After anchoring and swimming off of the boat for awhile this weekend, as we pulled the anchor up (windlass doesn't always grab the rope) we got to the end and noticed that the anchor was missing... Not sure what happened.  The anchor held for the two hours we swam, but was missing when we pulled it up.  

While we have used the anchor a number of times I guess I have not paid much (or enough) attention to it.  So, for the replacement, what type/brand name/size, etc. should I get to replace the factory anchor on a 2004 282 BR?  Also, all that was left was a chain link - perfectly in tact.  So, how does the anchor even attach to the chain?

The rope appears to be in pretty bad shape which is why I always thought the windlass (don't know which name) had trouble "grabbing" it to pull the anchor up so I think I will also look into replacing this as well.  

Thanks.

Comments

• howardramshowardrams Member Posts: 223 ✭✭✭
    Your swivel link which has a bolt through it probably came loose and fell out.  There's one at each end of the lead chain if you still have one attached to your rope.  The lead chain is a minimum 4 to 5 feet.  Rinker gave me 30 feet of chain and then 130 feet of rope.

A 14 pound Delta plow anchor sounds about right for your boat.  Make sure the lead chain size matches your winch, probably 1/4" chain.  You can shop on line at Overton's or West Marine. 
  • LaReaLaRea Member Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In the places where you normally anchor, what's the seabed?  Rocks, sand, mud?  That can influence your choice of anchor.  The Delta plow anchor is a great all-around anchor for soft bottoms, which is why so many boats have them.  

This article gives a good summary:
    http://www.westmarine.com/WestAdvisor/Selecting-The-Right-Anchor
  • FamilyTrucksterFamilyTruckster Member Posts: 11 ✭✭
    Lake of the Ozarks ranges from hard bottom to soft bottom dependingon location.  Often even the hard bottoms are covered in a foot or more of slimy, mucky muddy mud.  

I don't think I lost any of the chain and I would guess it to be 20 to 30 feet long.  I never measured it...

Thanks for the help, and off to West Marine I go.
  • Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Many of the "links" that attach your rode to your anchor (regardless of whether they are of the fixed or swivel variety) have a hole drilled through the end of the bolt. The idea is to place a loop of wire (I use 19 gauge SS wire) and twist it several times. This will stop a nut from backing-off - in an emergency - BUT - even that is really a one-off. As you have said you should check your rode (rope or chain) connection to your anchor every time you use it.