Dinghy Ramp Davit System

SerenitySerenity Member Posts: 162 ✭✭✭
I own a 320 and was wondering if anyone uses the Dinghy Ramp Davit system on their swim platform. I am now using the Weaver Davits. They work well but it is a pain to always take the motor off. I also do not have a fuzzy feeling about placing the motor in the boat. I do not put the motor in the compartments for fear of a gas vapor issue but even the fact that it can topple over in the cockpit on the way back to port and hurt someone scares me. They are expensive but I use the Mercury 270 Airdeck almost every weekend.

Comments

• Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is a boater who is sometimes on the forum named "Old Dog New Trix" I have seen his system before. From my memory it has a really ingenious method for securing the motor on the swim platform. Maybe he will post with a picture?
  • StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    I have friends who have the ProDav style system.  I've seen other folks use the Hurley and Trick davits where you pull the ding sideways onto the arms motor and all.  Might see if you can test drive someone's davits to see which ones you like.

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• SerenitySerenity Member Posts: 162 ✭✭✭
    I have tested a few of them. The dighyramp seemed the easiest to use and best of all when removed-you only have the flat weaver bracket. Not a toe cruncher. It is also not metal which would scratch and start to corrode like my arch. I am still in the research mode.

http://www.dinghyramp.com/
  • Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Most of these systems are $1200-1800. A 270 airdeck should pull up easy, just mind if the swim platform is high off the water it makes it harder to pull up. The soft bottom helps. 

Several people around me have the one you mentioned. Trick Davit is another - I have this one but it's not very good for a RIB, a soft bottom would do fine. 

I just removed my Trick Davit. Replaced it with a Hurley H3O pull on type. Should have bought it to start with. Effortless. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
    The boat next to me at the marina has the Trick Davit and it is nice but there is always the bracket on the platform. We use the platform a lot and was worried one of the kids would hurt themselves when the boat and davit is removed. There is still that block. I was also looking at the Hurley but was worried if the paint gets scratched. Would the davit look like parts of my radar arch? I have a question. The Mercury 270 airdeck has a slight V in the bow and kind of flattens out at the stern. Does it sit right on the davit? Seems like the rear davit should be more flat than what I have seen.
    The Trick Davit has the arm angle adjustable. For an airdeck or say a Mercury RIB it would be fine. It cannot deal with the deep v hull on the AB brand. 

The Hurley H3O has no painted metal. 

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • scottb3200scottb3200 Member Posts: 46 ✭✭
     Hurley  davits  Hurley.comm  out of Michigan  
    Scott, thank you for the picture. I just ordered the Hurley H2O. I have a question. Todd Hurley had a concern about the inflatable hanging off the stern and possible dragging when coming on plane. I did not think so but I am using weaver davits now so there is no over hang. I have the same boat so please let me know your thoughts.
    The Hurley H3O installed. 

PC BYC, Holland, MI
    When boat go on plane no  problem   works great 
    The picture doesn't have straps I just have rope tiedown when straps on it stays up off the platform
  • LakeSuperiorLakeSuperior Member Posts: 2
    Most of these systems are $1200-1800. A 270 airdeck should pull up easy, just mind if the swim platform is high off the water it makes it harder to pull up. The soft bottom helps. 

Several people around me have the one you mentioned. Trick Davit is another - I have this one but it's not very good for a RIB, a soft bottom would do fine. 

I just removed my Trick Davit. Replaced it with a Hurley H3O pull on type. Should have bought it to start with. Effortless. 
    3 to 5 Hurley Davits are replaced by Trick Davits every year.  We advise customers with ribs to try loading with the rollers on and off to determine which is easier.  Certain model ribs get caught on the rollers.   $995 to $1150 (includes everything)
    With the right dinghy, the Trick Davit would be fine. Several slipmates have and like them. 

The Trick davit did not at all fit the hull of my AB. Actually dented the hull towards the transom on mine. grrrrrr.  It was near impossible to pull the dinghy up, mostly due to the deep-v hull on the AB. 

Just my experience with a 342 and an AB 9.5AL. 

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    I wonder how the Dinghy Ramp roll-on with the quick connect would work with the indents for the weavers on my platform.  If they're plug-and-play then I may have found my new davits.

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

I do not think they will plug-and-play to the indents.  You could possibly fashion up something to use the indents.  Definitely need a backing plate.

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • LakeSuperiorLakeSuperior Member Posts: 2
    The Trick Davit's adjustable cradles will move from 0 to 30 degrees.  The stern bracket/cradle is mounted within three inches of where the dinghy is going to ride.  The forward bracket/cradle should be mounted about half way forward for two reasons  1. Most of the dinghy's weight is near the stern.  2.  A dinghies vee is always less than 30 degress at that point.