Search light wiring 260 EC

I am looking to snake a wire from the bow, bow rail to the inside of the boat
I don't see any panels or acess   Any tips ?  
I was thinking to run to the back of the boat and pick up the spare Acc wires 

Comments

• Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The dash should be prewired for a search light circuit, so there should be no need to run to the back and pick up an Acc circuit. If you have a TV or a cabinet just beyond the head enclosure, there should be an access point there. If there are any speakers on the sides of the cabin, they are good access points also. Are you sure that there aren't wires already tucked in the front of the bow rail? I am sure you looked, but it never hurts to ask.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • JohnCostellloJohnCostelllo Member Posts: 68
    Greg Thanks for all of your help Great forum 
    Prewired for search light in dash ?  Maybe there is a switch electronics?? And 3 Acc switches
    There isn't a switch for the light. The OEM light was a GoLight Stryker #3106, which has a wireless remote. If you look at the breakers, there should be one listed for the spot light. It is a dedicated 15A breaker. Look at page 36 of the wiring diagram. The hot wire in the dash should be red with an orange tracer.
    Go Steelers!!!
  • MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭✭✭

Exactly, remote control mounted at the helm to turn on/off and rotate.  The spotlight has it's own built in switch that obviously talks to the controller. So all you have to do is get the wires to the spot light. Many boats are already pre-wired, so have a look around the area, you might find some wires.

Greg do you know where they would have run those wires?

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

I know that they follow the bulkhead on the starboard side of the boat. One of the risers on the rail is where they feed up to the front of the rail, but I am not sure which one. If you remove the panel in the top or side of the cabinet where the TV is located should give access to the wires and/or the chase on that side of the boat. They might be wrapped up at that location. There is a 90% chance that the wires are on the boat since they went to premade wiring harnesses on the boats. Finding where they are wrapped up, now that is a different story.
    Go Steelers!!!
  • LaReaLaRea Member Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @JohnCostelllo - are you sure a handheld searchlight wouldn't be a better solution for your 26-footer?  

With a fixed-mount searchlight, you'll probably find it impossible to accurately aim the beam.  In most conditions, the boat moves too much, and the remotes are too slow and hard to use.  A handheld would be more effective, not to mention cheaper and easier.  Also, unlike a fixed light, you can point a handheld any direction -- astern, into the engine room, or wherever you need it.  

Fixed-mount lights make sense on big boat where the captain is piloting from an enclosed cockpit and can't use a handheld.  On an express cruiser, they just aren't as useful as you might think.
    I have a hand held too.  I wanted to mount it just to have.   It is a Led light not remote controlled It has a low amp draw so I wanted to try and install to Acc switch in dashboard.  Does that make sence???
    That does make sense. One of the Acc switches terminates at the switch. You could use that one instead of trying to find the wires in the engine room. The two others terminate in the engine room. One is for the washdown pump option and the other is for the swim light option.
    Go Steelers!!!
  • MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have the 260EC and it came with the search light. It's very easy to use.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

Greg Is that switch already hot???? and I unscrewed the panel in the dash board  there does not seem to have any slack in order to work on it.  Can't seem to find a access panel from behind ??  Any  Idea???
    Yes, that switch is hot. It won't have a wire connected to the switched side of it. It should be the closest one to the right of the panel. There should be a small amount of slack to get the panel out. I have had mine out a few times.
    Go Steelers!!!
    Great thanks for the help
    Greg I took ceiling panel over Tv down.  I removed side panel.    I see where the bow rail comes down I cannot find any access to run the wire from search light. Looks like it is behind the ulpostry? ???   Any Idea????
  • Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @JohnCostello. If you can not access the bottom of that SS rail without major renovations, what about drilling a hole in the bottom side of the rail, inserting a rubber grommet into the hole to prevent chafing on the wire (and for a more custom look) and then running the wire through one of the specialty fittings that can be mounted on the have a rubber gasket so that you can push the wire through it and it will be waterproof. You could certainly make it look very custom without disrupting your cabin head liner. Just a thought.
    I am thinking thats what I have to do   I thought because it was a option from Rinker there would be a easier way  

Thanks

• Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @JohnCostello, the only way that I can think of to run the wire right into the cabin from inside the rail would be to expose the fiberglass deck from the inside (cabin deck), find the three screws or bolts that held the support post for the rail to the outside deck and "guestimate" as best you could where to drill up into the post from below. It would be tricky but could be done if it wasn't too much of a hassle exposing the deck. I'd want to measure twice and drill once!
    That would be fine  but I cannot get to the fiberglass  1 of the posts comes through ,but can't get to it