My "Old" 2013 EC 310 sold AGAIN! This Time She's headed back home - to the U.S.A.

Comments

• Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2016

@gtyee, I just looked at my boating files and did some arithmetic. This might interest you - when I bought the boat the U.S. and CDN. dollars were at par. So, essentially what I paid was in U.S. dollars. I paid, Including, options, custom up-grades and accessories $U.S. 190,000. In my opinion you were very smart to shop in Canada to take advantage of the significant premium your money allowed. I think you got the bargain of a life time! CONGRATULATIONS!

The boat is the best broken-in (I hate that word) and treated boat you will ever own. Evert stage of the break-in was according to mercury who I contacted several times (and they will have the records of that) regarding break-in, oil and filter recommendations and best maintenance practices. I exceeded the requirements at all stages.....so, in my opinion you have an almost new boat that is better than new with more custom options that any other EC 310 that I have seen!

Sorry to go on and on but I am really proud of my Rinkers ( 7 now including 5 new buys) and have treated them exceptionally well.

Yes, the boat has the "Premium" Axius with the skyhook holding feature.

It has auto pilot from Axius which will hold course and can be adjusted with a touch of the key pad that changes the course +/- 2 degrees, but I can't remember if we linked the Axius to the GPS for true "unassisted" autopilot.

There was a NMEA 2000 harness installed which would allow that if wanted. I have auto pilot on my 2014 EC360 but don't use it. To be honest many of the accidents we have up here involve someone getting lazy with an autopilot and hitting an island or reef in the St. Lawrence. If I lived in wide-open water (ocean or right on one of the great lakes) I'd probably re-consider that! Try it first and see if you want to make the connection.

You may not know it but I installed a lot of extra electrical lines on the boat. Extra 110v receptacles in the cockpit, by the rear berth, on a wall in the front berth for the Admiral's lap top and in a starboard cupboard in case I wanted to install satellite TV later. That 110v receptacle would be for the program box - all of which I believe require 110v. 

Extra 12v lines also went into the head for a fan, in the cockpit for the 12v TV that I mounted there and number of other places. Although I could have wired the lines in my sleep I had them done by a certified marine technician for insurance purposes. All connections were done properly and specifically to MARINE code. The 110v connections involved moeller plugs right at the back of the panel.

This boat will last a lifetime. Everything I had learned from 40 years of boating, racing boats and building engines went into it. It was treated like my first child - actually better LOL. It was never run hard or even slightly misused.

My wife and I were the sole drivers. Every time a tech was in it I was there too. It was never hot rodded. I did have it at wot a few times but respectfully and for very short periods. It lived most of its time with me at 3400rpm +/-  I would have sold it to my best friend with 100% confidence that he would be ecstatic.

IMO, you have made an amazing choice  for a fantastic price, one that you will come to appreciate more and more as you get to know the boat!

Please let us know your impressions after your sea trial this Spring. MT

edited February 2016

@gtyee...if you want to see how an Axius Premium system works there are lots of on-line videos. It should be noted that different manufacturers enable different features. 

There is a video that shows the Mercury Premium Axius Syatem installed on a 2011 Rinker EC 360. I have been on the boat in the video and know the guy who is reviewing it as he is a Canadian and the video is Canadian.

If interested, google Rinker EC 360. Then, scroll down the headings to "2011 Rinker 360 EC Tested & Reviewed On US Boat Test .com"  Click on that link, then, wait until the video pops up at the site.

You can enlarge the video by clicking on it. The host, Mike, will show the boat a bit at first - then he will go to the helm and show the Premium Axius System with the features that Rinker installs.

I think you'd like the video. MT.

• gtyeegtyee Member Posts: 168 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for all the input MT, The boat survey came back perfect today and I can't wait to get on the water with it as is my wife. I plan on adding radar to it for Lake Michigan and taking boat training classes as I have been a fishing boat guy for the past 12 years. The hardtop was a nice surprise also.
  • Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Let us know when you find MTs hidden stash
  • JoeStangJoeStang Member Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like I need to start saving so I can buy MT's 360!

That's awesome the new owner ended up here and I'm jealous as **** over the price you paid for such a well maintained boat!
    2013 276 Cuddy ~ 350 MAG / B3
    edited February 2016

@gtyee, the boat training classes are a very wise decision.

You will love the hard top. It was an expensive up-grade but I was grateful every time we put up or took down the canvas.

You even have a custom handle on the cutlery door LOL. It came with a knob that my wife (The Admiral) found hard to use so I found an SS handle. You will like the radar.

I have a Radar selection suggestion. You will probably be getting a dome radar. if we use Raymarine as an example you can get two types of Radomes: 1. Digital Radome which is quite good for what you will need and will fit the hard top nicely OR 2. (My suggestion) An HD Color Radome which is the same basic idea as the Digital Radome BUT has huge color up-grade (256+ extra colors for better fferentiation).                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 The difference is, imo, well worth it. I think the up-grade to HD Color is about $500.00. That's what I would do. I have the straight Digital and wish I had the HD Color.

You're going to have a blast with that boat. Use Mercruiser semi synthetic oil and Mercruiser High Efficiency oil filters and those engines will last forever.

Use the Winter down time to read up on your Vessel View System (or get someone to show you its operation) as it is amazing for its ability to show you fuel consumption and all engine data easily.

I'd also use the Winter months to read-up on all systems like the generator, VHF, stereo, refrigerators, head system etc.

I don't know if the previous owner changed the filter medium on the Big Orange Filter but that is a 5 minute job if he didn't. I'm sure he would tell you.

BTW I sent him a lot of info when he bought the boat so hopefully he will answer any of your questions regarding the most recent data!

• MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is hilarious ... good ... but hiliarious.  MT telling gtyee how to maintain his boat. LOL.

I agree Joe, gtyee you are one lucky dude. You got great value for money, and a boat that's been taken care of.

You into fishing?  Salmon I take it based on your handle g-"tyee".  I have another handle on Spoonpullers.com. TyeeTanic.  Look me up.

Here's some pictures of my Rinker to get you thinking. Everything comes off in 5 minutes and leaves the smooth cruiser lines. Best of both worlds. I'm rigged up for tournament fishing. Came 4th this year in Lake O's Biggest Salmon Tournament, Tightlines out of Canada. My biggest is 35.3 lbs.

Apologies for the detour guys, but when I hear fishing, I got a little nuts inside...

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

Nice Fish Mark. 
    @MarkB, no matter how many times I see your rig it still impresses the h*ll out of me. Congratulations on the tournament placement. Ever wondered how many lines  you could pull with a 360......?

Haha, that's a small one Handy. Probably only 18 lbs. You should have seen the 35 lb one we caught!

MT, thanks man. A lot of though put into that boat. My wife hates fishing (she doesn't stop me though), so I had to make sure everything could be taken off quick without leaving ugly bits. In the end, all that's left is the black bases shown in the picture below and no one even notices them. It's nice to go from fully rigged out competitive sports fishing boat to clean lined cruiser in 10 minutes. Oh and as for the number of lines on a 360, lots, but I'd probably limit it to 8 at most. First there are rules (in Canada only 2 rods per licensed fisherman) and second more often isn't better. There's a point where you start spooking fish. Lastly, often you have rookies on board, and more lines means more tangles. If we have pros on board we can easily handle 8 lines. However, 1 rookie can make it a problem with even fewer lines in the water. I'd rather be fishing than untangling lines. 6 lines is often optimal. 

"Boat + Water = Fun"

@MarkB it's nice to see things done right. Way to go!
  • unikguyunikguy Member Posts: 36 ✭✭
    Hello MT. What specific brand of wax are using on your black hull.  Thanks.
  • rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    wow, what a boat and I'm sure a great purchase. With the exchange rate I understand the savings....what it the tax implication bringing the boat to the US? I have not checked my lottery tickets for the week yet and may be in the market!
    @ras I am checking with friends -  one a boat broker the other a lawyer but from what I have heard so far you only pay the tax that your State might want if buying a Canadian boat.  So if you find the right boat you are at about a 35% saving on top of the used discounting -  that would be the best price anywhere........ Fresh water boat,  super maintained,  discounted for use AND another 35% off for Americans.......just crazy good! When I get home in three weeks I will -  with the Admiral's  permission -  post a price for out 2014 EC 360. 

MarkB, G is first letter in last name and Tyee is the Lund model name. Nice fish! We fly fish salmon on the Sheboygan river every year and have fly fished the Kenai and Kasilof rivers in Alaska also. Have been on Michigan with down riggers with success but I mostly target smallmouth bass and do my fair share of kayak fishing. All fishing is good and I love your set up!

rasbury, there are no tax implications other than your state sales tax and no tarrif because the boat was built in the US, at least that what I've learned so far and it is a great boat.
    @unikguy,  good to hear from you! I've had three Rinkers with black hulls. My secret - wash with soft water (often River water will do), towel dry,  use Maguire's Flagship wax,  rub in and buff off -  we do it by hand.  If washing between waxes  usually just use soft water  or baby shampoos - No harsh detergents.  BTW,  there was a huge thread on this last year that was very informative. 

Also consider Starbright boat wash with PTFE coating in between waxes. You scrub it on and let it sit for a few minutes then wash off. It leaves a protective shiny PTFE coating.

"Boat + Water = Fun"

I use the Starbrite PTEF polish in the spring and the PTEF wash and non-skid cleaner during the summer. The black stays glossy and beads up all season. Love the stuff.
    This was taken end of September with just normal washing throughout the summer

• raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,455 admin
    Very nice. 
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
    MT, do you know if the Vesselview is NMEA 2000 as I intend to put a Garmin GXM 52 satellite weather receiver and GMR18 xHD radome that uses NMEA 2000 hook up and hard to find any info on it. Also what's funny is the first thing my wife and I noticed was the t knob you put on the drawer because we couldn't even open it on a new boat! Setting up to have the hull acid washed bottom painted when I get it back here. Thanks for all the info
    edited February 2016
    @gtyee,  too funny -  he first time the Admiral tried the drawer I knew I would be replacing that pull LOL. Both Rinker and the dealer told me the VV and cabling were NMEA 2000 compatible as I was going to do what you are. Not sure if I mentioned this before but for a few more $ you can upgrade the radar to HD Color which will give you a 256 color definition versus straight HD. I'd have the hull AND the drives waxed after the cleaning.  FWIW,  I use Maguire's Flagship. Please post some pictures after your upgrades BTW  you are going to love those specialty FANS in the sleeping berth areas, minimal amp draw was at low! -   fan speed adjustable,  timer settings and can be set on two axis plus a sweet breeze with or without the AC on!  Not a huge worry anyway as you have AGM batteries! 
    Post edited by Michael T on
    MT, the GMR 18xHd is 256 (8 bit) color and I plan on buffing and detailing the boat before I bottom paint it. Not sure if the Gxm 52 will work on the 720. not much info out there on some things.
    edited February 2016
    Excellent! Bottom painting my EC 360 was the best money at spent on it.  The hull will remain new "forever"! 
    Post edited by Michael T on
    MT, does your old 310 ec have catalytic converters on it. I think in Illinois or the US  you have to have them. The Canadian dollar is rising so any Americans should pull the trigger on your 360 asap!! Getting close to water time. Mg

Yes they do. Fully certified 5 star California eco emissions units. I didn't want them as they take up more room and run hotter in the engine room and but I had to buy it with them. So you're 100% okay, legislation wise!

Two minor  things to know about catalytic converters. First Mercury says they prefer that we run semi synthetic in them and the Merc brand as they have blended it for their cats. Second, if there is ever sanding of fiberglass on your boat it must all be vacuumed-up as fiberglass dust kills catalytic converters.

Thanks for the tip , yes our dollar is rising as it is tied closely to oil and other commodities. Oil and copper are rising and so is our dollar. It would be a good time for an American to buy that boat.

Maybe I should list it with an International broker but I am trying to save the buyer  brokerage fees. I say the buyer because the Admiral has said the biggest loss she wants to take is selling it at 225 CDN. I might talk her into 220K but that would be it.

It IS getting close to water time and you are going to love that EC 310, with the emphasis on E for express! The first week we had it family visited the marina. It was pouring rain. All the canvas was up and there were 11 people in the cockpit and with the swivel captain's bench and pull-out seat everyone had a seat and a place for a drink. That boat has one awesome cockpit. You will also notice that among the many custom features of that boat is a 110v outlet in the refreshment center. I believe it is the only EC 310 anywhere with that. I used that 110v outlet a lot LOL!

Good to hear from you. If you have any questions about your EC 310 that you consider personal feel free to e.mail me at Rinker360@bell.net. I'll try to answer any question you may have. 

I'm thrilled that the boat went to one of the guys on this forum. I love that boat and it was treated so well!

MT I'm a firm believer in Merc brand oil and changing way in advance of "regular intervals" as I have always done with my Yamaha 225 outboard. I wish your 360 was for sale next year because that is probably my next move. Got a slip in Chicago 31st street harbor that is new with cable, water, electric, water, private restrooms with showers and free washer and dryers. Cost is $4,100 (wish I could pay in cad $)for the season and overlooks the city. Will be in Ontario May 9-11 to sea trial it before shipping it home to detail it and bottom paint it (own auto body shops) to bring it back to MT standards, add a Garmin radar and stop working Fridays and Mondays!!
    What do the brokers charge for selling your boat 10%?