Options

Whats Your Memorial Day Plans ?

randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
Planning a 4 day, 200 mile one way trip, two rivers, two marinias, one large lake, 4 locks, on the hook two nites. Essential supplys included, and allways snake bite medicine, just in case. You never know when your going to see a snake.  :)
Boat Name : 

Comments

• Options
    chamberbchamberb Member Posts: 265 ✭✭✭
    That sounds very ambitious!! And a lot of fun!! We put our new boat in the water May 15th, not sure where we'll be on Memorial Day. 
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,561 mod
    That sounds like a great time!  This will be the first time in 15 years that I won't be around a boat on Mem day.  I'm going to a wedding in Michigan.  May have to find a forum member while I'm in MI to go for a ride :)

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @randy56, that sounds like a heck of a trip. 200 miles one way thru 4 locks could take some time. Where are you headed? What river system?

I plan to be on the water in Pittsburgh. Hopefully the weather will be nice the week before so the river isn't jacked up.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    My home marina is mile marker 766 on the Ohio River, heading down stream toward the Mississippi River to mile marker 923, going south on the cumberland river to Barkley lake KY, The Damm is about a 50ft rise at Barkley Lake, then on to mile marker 42 Kuttawa Harbor KY. I have a slip rented for a month there. I can drive back and forth on week ends. Its about 2 hours from home. a couple weeks after that trip, Mid June, I'm going to Nashville TN it is about a 7 hours cruse. Overnight there and take a cab downtown the the night club row.
    Ya, you got to keep some of that water in Pittsburgh, and drift, The later part of May, so I can make the trip.
    Its your world plan your trip!
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    ChesapeakeChillerChesapeakeChiller Member Posts: 98 ✭✭
    @randy56 Nashville is a blast, I really enjoyed it and look forward to getting back there. Note I am not a country music fan myself but you don't need to be to enjoy Nashville.

2004 Cruisers Yachts 320 W/6.2L I/B's

Boat Name- Anchor Management, Mayo MD

• Options
    There is nothing wrong with watching those country gals, on the dance floor with tight jeans and cowboy boots! Makes me like county music. 
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    06Rinker27006Rinker270 Member Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭
    I will be having a party with friends on the boat to celebrate our June wedding.  Getting married in Annapolis, MD on the Chesapeake Bay.  We incorporate the water in ever aspect of our lives that we possibly can.  
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Options
    I like the way you think, pre honey moon.
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    jme097jme097 Member Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭
    @Dream_Inn  where at in Michigan? I am Metro-Detroit. Come on out haha
    Boat Name: Knot A Worry
    2007 280 Rinker Express 6.2L B3
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,561 mod

@jme097, don't laugh too much when you have a family of four (with some food and my special mai tai's) are waiting at your boat! :)

The wedding is in Wixom, MI....just outside Detroit.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    gtyeegtyee Member Posts: 168 ✭✭✭
    My plans are to get my 310 shipped to Chicago before Mem day. Wont be in the water in Toronto till May ? for a sea trial and then trucked home!! Anticipation is killing me...
  • Options
    captpaulcaptpaul Member Posts: 41 ✭✭
    work, work, work, to pay for all the boating fun to come!
  • Options
    captpaul, thank you for working so the rest of us can play.
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    gtyee said:
    My plans are to get my 310 shipped to Chicago before Mem day. Wont be in the water in Toronto till May ? for a sea trial and then trucked home!! Anticipation is killing me...
    That would be a nice cruise if you had the time.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    I have the time, just not the skill!
  • Options
    bella-vitabella-vita Member Posts: 411 ✭✭✭
    Hire a captain to help u drive it back,then u will have the skill.
    2002 Rinker FV 342
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

@gtyee, I hope you post some shots of your first time on the water, even better would be a short video of you going YAHOO when it's breezing along at 3400RPM!

Discretion is always the better part of valor so being careful with a new boat always pays off but, I believe, you are going to get comfortable with that baby a lot faster than you think.

If you have any concerns hiring a captain, experienced with Axius for a half day would not be a bad idea either......or as BV says to "make the crossing"!

• Options
    06Rinker27006Rinker270 Member Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭
    I hired a captain when I first bought my boat.  Money WELL spent and learned a lot.  Not to mention an anxiety saver.
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Options
    I'm taking a US Coast Guard approved on water boat handling course on April 30      and May 1. 14 hours in class and on water with a 34' Sea Ray you get to practice with. When I go to Toronto to sea trial the boat I set up a day with a certified trainer to show me the ropes. He also knows axius and how it works. Also taking a vhf radio course in April so I should be prepared hopefully!
  • Options
    @gtyeeSmart move! That will help your confidence level. You will learn alot.
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,460 admin
    gtyee said:
    I'm taking a US Coast Guard approved on water boat handling course on April 30      and May 1. 14 hours in class and on water with a 34' Sea Ray you get to practice with. When I go to Toronto to sea trial the boat I set up a day with a certified trainer to show me the ropes. He also knows axius and how it works. Also taking a vhf radio course in April so I should be prepared hopefully!
    gtyee remember that inboards and outdrives act differently. Tell the instructor that the  boat you have has outdrives....
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

@gtyee, that is one powerful display of intelligence! My compliments to one smart guy. I guarantee you that you will love that boat. It has amazing handling capability......and you are taking courses that will greatly enhance the safety of you, your family and other boaters. My "hat is off to you."

Speaking of Axius here is what I consider the "Golden Rule" of operating Axius.  The system is a dream to operate IF IF IF the operator follows one rule. Give the mechanical components time to react. Most new and even some veteran users never get this simple procedure......

The Axius computer components can fire commands at the mechanical parts faster than the mechanical parts can execute them. Sooooo - issue a command and give the mechanical components at least 3 seconds to re-act before issuing another command or you will cancel the first. The ONLY time I see Axius users get into trouble is when they over issue commands and start cancelling out the responses.

Big Tip. The Axius system is a computer system. It needs time to boot. I have seen guys dock the boat and turn off their engines. Then a gust of wind starts to blow them off the dock or down the dock and into another boat -  before they can tie up. Then they fire up their engines in a panic and can't get the Axius to work immediately. If you ever do that go to throttles. Which BTW can still take a couple of seconds until you switch off the Axius and go DTS throttles.

Moral of the story - if using Axius leave the engines running until you have safely secured the boat.

Personal example. When entering locks on the Canadian canals I go through they say to turn off your engines when beside the wall. I used to do that until one day with the engines off the rush of water started by an over eager lock attendant started moving the boat off the wall before I could secure it. If I had not been the only boat in the lock I would have hit someone. Now I reply to the lock masters "l have Axius, when I have secured the boat I will turn my system off". That has been well accepted.