What trim tabs will fit the transom of a 2005 232 Captiva?

pilot425pilot425 Member Posts: 9 ✭✭
I have a 2005 232 CC with a factory swim platform. 5L Volvo Penta with a SS Revolution4 19P prop. Boat porpoises excessively with any size waves. With trim full down the boat still porpoises and a very long time to plane. Does anyone have input on what type/size trim tab will fit the rear transom of this boat. Has anyone experienced this behavior in their 232 and if so how did you correct problem? I have over 30 yrs experience in boating of many different size boats. I run primarily on Lake Michigan. Any input would be appreciated.

Comments

• Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome aboard to a fellow Lake Michigan boater! I'm sure a fellow 232 owner can help.

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,455 admin
    Welcome to the RBOC....
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • BabyboomerBabyboomer Member Posts: 918 mod

Slip 866 Sunset Marina Byrdstown Tn
  • MadcowMadcow Member Posts: 58 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2013

I run on Lake Michigan and had the same problem.

I added trim tabs, problem solved. She tames the water now.

Post edited by Madcow on

Boat: 2004 232 Capitva CC

Boat Name: Mixed Nutz

• pilot425pilot425 Member Posts: 9 ✭✭
    Madcow, what size/manufacturer tabs did you go with?

Lenco 12x12 Edge Mount w/LED Switch

If your transom is the same as my 2004 Edge Mount is crucial so you wont need spacers.

They are awesome but pricey.

Here are some pictures of my install:

• raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,455 admin
    Looks sweet....

2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
    Thanks, I was so terrified to drill holes in the transom I spent months asking questions over and over and over to make sure I was doing the right thing and using the best tabs possible. And when I felt comfortable I asked more questions...lol To me it was a big venture, now that it is done and I see the results I would do it again in a heart beat. This boat really needs tabs. It plains out quick and handles sometimes rough Lake Michigan no problem.

• Glassguy54Glassguy54 Member Posts: 588 ✭✭✭
    I have 12x12 Lenco tabs on my 246, but can anyone explain why it is that most of the tabs I have seen have edges that are folded upward, and mine are folded downward, starting about 1-1/2" in from the rear edge and tapering to zero at the forward edge?
    Rinker says to use those but there not needed. I used standard 12x12

• pilot425pilot425 Member Posts: 9 ✭✭
    Madcow your install looks sweet. Thanks for the help
  • SquallyEmperorSquallyEmperor Member Posts: 13 ✭✭

I have an 04 232 and installed Smart Tabs. Less cash and simple install. Working as good as promised. Over all very  happy.

Good luck

How much is a good time worth?

The problem with SmartTabs is that you cannot load balance or adjust on the fly. You have to stop and get out and adjust them.

Just my .02

• SquallyEmperorSquallyEmperor Member Posts: 13 ✭✭

Agreed not adjustable, thats the point. Well one of the points , I have never felt a need to adjust the settings. I have also never needed to adjust the load or weight in the boat. I can have four adults all sitting on one side of the boat and it seems to have little or no effect on the way the boat sits or rides. I did gain about One mph on the top end. Just my exsperiance.

On the other hand adjustable tabs are Great but come with added cost and time  and or additional instalation time or money.

How much is a good time worth?
  • ScottKScottK Member Posts: 26 ✭✭
    Are you still happy with these?  Thinking of putting them on my 2005 232.  
  • ruggeroleruggerole Member Posts: 161 ✭✭
    I have them mounted closer to the centerline. The actuators mount in the recessed area and have a better angle