Need help with Rinker 270 Helm Station refit

JDAYRES777JDAYRES777 Member Posts: 24 ✭✭
edited April 2016 in Electrical Discussions
JDAYRES777 Posts: 4Member ✭

Good Afternoon Mark B, partlowr and all others trying to help me with is problem. AS promised pictures of my prior owner butchered helm station taken Saturday Night 02 April 2016. As you can see, quite a mess.  I need all recommendations, with any drawings, pictures, diagrams you might think would resolve this dilemma. I have been able to locate a new clear map cover from Great Lakes Skipper the Rinker 270. I would really like to have the original helm area for charts, and mount bothe the new Simrad GO7 Chartplotter and the original Simrad Annritsu radar on removable mounts. But, the radar screen is gigantic and that's going to take 1 big mount, with some new wiring.  I am very interested in seeing, hearing what you all suggest and recommend. I need to know whether to cut away the remaining old original fiberglass flat surface and replace with either new OEM material from Rinker that I might be able to obtain; and or, after market material.   Or, do I take the new flat surface material and mount it over the old material, keeping the old material as a stronger base for the new material.  Either way I have some wiring to do, and it's going to be any interesting challenge.  If you wish to speak to me, or send me specific diagrams you would recommend, please let me know and I will provide you with my email address for private communication. I could also use the name of a good marine carpenter in my area 21220 zip code or within 25 miles of here, who could handle the refit with the new material.

All of my best to you all, and many thanks for your help,

John

Beacon of the Bay

Middle River, Baltimore County Maryland

Post edited by raybo3 on

Comments

• MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭✭✭
    With that I would likely prepare a new sheet surface and add to the old surface retaining as much for structural strength as possible. I would start with a cardboard template and then cut suitable material of 1/2" thick according to the template. The material can be wrapped in vinyl in just about any color.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What do you want to spend? What are you installing? For example if you are "just" installing a GPS and a multi gauge I would go with a low profile cover as in 1/8" aluminum, which can be spray painted or powder coated or one of the new easy to cut highly durable plastics that come in a myriad of colors. just personal choice but IMO a very low profile add-on is more OEM looking.
    Yeah that's a good idea MT. Start with a cardboard template and find any aluminum metal workshop around you. Shouldn't cost much or take long.

"Boat + Water = Fun"

edited April 2016
    @MarkB....the cardboard template is ALWAYS a great idea. You can cut that a few times and make changes with no flag on the play!
  • Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You could all ways have the fiberglass rebuilt and then you would have a clean slate to work with
    ....too much effort for too little gain IMO.
  • Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think a piece of plastic or metal will look cheap
    ... or really cool if it's done right. 

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• JDAYRES777JDAYRES777 Member Posts: 24 ✭✭

Good Evening Gentlemen,

I just got all of your responses, and thank you for it. The common denominators are:

(1) Card Board Template - A must Do!

(2) then cut suitable material of 1/2" thick according to the template,

(3) Use one of the new easy to cut highly durable plastics that come in a myriad of colors.

As far as a metal/aluminum based product - negative. Being on the Chesapeake Bay of Maryland and the weather we get here; eventually anything metal or aluminum is going to corrode and rust.

Now gentlemen, here are the questions I do need answered:

(1) Do I work around the built in cup holder or ditch the cup holder totally and relocate it elsewhere - remember - that cup holder causes an elevation of the surface. I plan to use that surface primarily for charts, with the new original chart cover available from Great Lakes Skipper.  

(2) no matter what, I may have to get behind that part of the helm station due to existing wiring issues (it's a slight nightmare, but workable) - is there currently retaining screws/bolts holding that part of the helm station to that area of the deck and hull? and if so, where are they and how do I get to them if needed?

I hope not to have to remove it at all, but here's my problem - there is a heavy cardboard backing to the area behind the helm station and it is totally loose; and, sometimes gets in the way of the main cabin sliding hatch.  I would like to remedy that situation totally. 

(3) I can always get 2 mounts - 1 for the radar screen and the other for the GPS and mount each one on the top side of the instrument panel, allowing for complete removal and stowing of the radar screen and GPS.

Your suggestions and comments on this are greatly welcome and appreciated.

I look forward to hearing from you folks soon.

Best Regards,

John

Beacon of the Bay

Middle River, Maryland

John.

I'd say leave the cup holder. Do you see the panel that your gauges are on. You'd want to do something similar for the bottom part. In fact if you did go with a wrap then I'd also wrap the existing gauge panel the same color to match. 

As for removing the entire helm I'm not sure. I don't have my boat for a few more weeks so I can't even check. I'd imagine if you did that there's a bit of recaulking that would need to be done. Are you able to get a tool in there to cut off or rip off the cardboard that's on the way? I know I can reach behind mine a little if the cabin door is open.

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• JDAYRES777JDAYRES777 Member Posts: 24 ✭✭

MarkB,

Just got your message, right now with the big square holes in everything, I can actually pull it towards the front of the helm station. I just do not know from various angles if wires are going through it or not. This prior owner (who I have not been able to contact) has an old Navico Rotary autopilot in this boat, and there is no autopilot computer. I am not even sure the electronic compass for the autopilot is in the boat. I suspect he used the old Simrad CE-32 chartplotter as his electronic compass coupled to the radar and the autopilot combined. I have removed the old Simrad CE-32 and ditched it completely. Keeping the existing Radar and a new Simrad GO7 and NMEA 2000 starter kit and cables and bringing it up to NMEA 2000 Standards.  I have all the manuals on this boat, the prior owner was very thorough. I am even adding a new Simrad RS-35 Radio and Shakespeare 5225 XT ATIS Antenna.

With all that said, I would like to have that surface totally clean and flat for charts, and have the Radar and GPS quick removable mount fitted. If there is no cables going through the cardboard backing to the inner helm station I might just be able to remove it, or adhere it in some other manner.  I suspect its designed to be there to keep moisture and water out; but, its just a heavy duty cardboard, not starboard.

Mu first step tomorrow is to call Rinker and see if I can get a piece of the new helm station material in a size that can be cut to the specific template of the helm station on my boat.  Rinker has been very helpful in helping me get some decent deck replacement canvas fabric for the transom seat backrest and other items. What I need is a good Marine Carpenter on this project; and, it's difficult to find someone you can trust with this job in my area of Maryland.  This project needs precision cutting of material and laying it in and making it look decent and functional.

Keep me in the loop on this and many thanks for your help and input.

JDA

Beacon of the Bay

Middle River, Maryland

Check out the last picture in this post. Look at the helm top. That plate is what I'm thinking you should do.

http://rinkerboats.vanillaforums.com/discussion/4600/winter-upgrades#latest

"Boat + Water = Fun"