Battery 1 Breaker Help

buggyjdavbuggyjdav Member Posts: 134 ✭✭
In the aft battery switch compartment the battery 1 breaker is out (popped), I pressed it but it won't hold. Any advice on how to resolve? Thanks 

Comments

• JC290JC290 Member Posts: 706 ✭✭✭
    Did you check your ground?
  • buggyjdavbuggyjdav Member Posts: 134 ✭✭
    On the battery?
  • JC290JC290 Member Posts: 706 ✭✭✭
    Start there you also could have a positive going to ground. Which will trip breaker
  • MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's either:

Problem with supply side connections

Problem with supply side cables

Problem with user side connections (house circuit shorted)

Problem with house side cables (house circuit shorted)

Problem with breaker

Problem with battery selector switch (although only live should go through this switch, you should check to confirm).

Problem with battery

Put the battery last, as I think a ground fault or short on battery itself is not common at all. A dead battery, yes, common. But a circuit fault, I'd guess not common. Especially if the battery visually looks okay.

Check the battery cables and connections first.

After that I'd pop open everyone of your house circuits and try and turn the battery switch on. Then close one circuit at a time until the battery switch goes, and you will isolate the problem.

After that I'd test the battery (because it's easier than a new breaker or switch).

After that put battery 2 cables onto battery 1 with 12V circuits all open (off). If it doesn't pop breaker, probably a bad battery 1 breaker.

Just suggestions, although I'm not a marine electrician, so use my advice only with a high dose of caution and consideration, as I could be wrong.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

Anyone know which battery is the number 1?
    Depends on how it is wired. No one can guarantee a position without tracing the wires. 

"Boat + Water = Fun"

What is the silver button in bottom left of battery switch compartment?
    Picture please.

"Boat + Water = Fun"