Stern saver transducer mount.

TrashmanTrashman Member Posts: 432 ✭✭✭
I just purchased a new Simrad go7 xse chartplotter/sonar and i would like to use this to mount the transducer.  Its a block that is glued to the transom, then you screw the transducer into the block.  Eliminating any holes that would otherwise be drilled into the transom.  Anyone have any knowledge on this product????

Best Answer

Answers

• TrashmanTrashman Member Posts: 432 ✭✭✭
    Yes mt, absolutely.  I just had the bottom blasted clean, ready for barrier coat.  I'm just visioning my transducer screwed to this thing and dangling from the back of the boat by the cable.
    Probably won't happen but if these things have a history of separating I'd like to hear about it first, of course.  Drilling holes is only gonna cause me to eat more Nexium! Lol
  • Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would do a thru hull and I will when I get my new equipment. These transom mounts just dont read very well at all at speeds over 20
  • skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2016
    I just mounted a new transducer and did something similar...except I just used a piece of pvc board they sell at HD and 5200'd it to the transom.  I don't think it's going to come off anytime soon.

Mine's a Garmin and so far it seems to perform great both trolling and cruising speed.  Although I'm most concerned with trolling speeds.
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • TrashmanTrashman Member Posts: 432 ✭✭✭
    @skennelly, they sell that block for $50. I was thinking the same, if I got a nice piece of white nylon block and used 3m 5200 I'd be good.  
  • skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    I think so Trashman...no reason to pay $50.  The only thing to be careful of is that the material will be compatible with 5200.  I've read that materials like starboard will not stick that well with 5200.
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,054 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can this be used on a boat that already has paint on it? I assume I'd have to sand down to the gel coat... right?