Head Lights

Does anyone know what kind of lights are in the front of a 2004 Rinker Captiva? They look like little head lights

Comments

• jme097jme097 Member Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭
    They're docking lights
    Boat Name: Knot A Worry
    2007 280 Rinker Express 6.2L B3
  • partlowrpartlowr Member Posts: 119 ✭✭
    They are docking lights and they can be added but require cutting two holes in the hull. There are some aftermarket ones available now that are low profile LED and only require a small hole to run the wire through and they screw into the hull.  
  • Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ....the size of the "head lights" and the distance from which they can be viewed  depends on who's on the sun pad. If the Admiral reads this I'm dead! LOL
  • fanellikefferfanellikeffer Member Posts: 11
    I already have them on the front of the boat, I'm trying to see if anyone know what I can replace them with in an LED to get more light and longer life 
  • Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
    BTW, don't run with the docking lights on. It is a quick way to get pulled over by the boat police, along ruining the night vision of other boaters. The other boaters won't know if you are coming or going since they won't be able to see your nav lights.
    Go Steelers!!!
  • fanellikefferfanellikeffer Member Posts: 11
    I didn't know that.. I thought it was just more light up front 
    ...good point Greg, other boaters see white they think it's the stern lights of another boat and wouldn't realize how fast they were closing on you! Good call!....and yes, the marine police here would write a fat ticket for leaving your docking lights on!
  • Robs_232Robs_232 Member Posts: 212 ✭✭✭
    I see this is a dual topic and posted a response on your other post as I have the same lights.
    Michael T said:
    ...good point Greg, other boaters see white they think it's the stern lights of another boat and wouldn't realize how fast they were closing on you! Good call!....and yes, the marine police here would write a fat ticket for leaving your docking lights on!
    What is frustrating in Pittsburgh is that when you mention it to a person who owns a boat running with them on, they look at you like you have two heads. On the other hand, a boater would thank you for the reminder.
    Go Steelers!!!

.....and that's one of the reasons Rinker (and other manufacturers) offered tri lights in their cockpits. Yes they look cool dockside or at anchor but the red does not damage your night vision like white and even blue do.

Where I boat if you use your spotlight forward to spot a marked buoy or hazard it better be on it, you mark it on your gps then get the light off.

My friend was below with another couple and heard a police siren. His son and a friend were up in the cockpit shooting the bow spot light all over the area. That brought the marine Police out.

.....again good call Greg!

• TonyWalkerTonyWalker Member Posts: 744 ✭✭✭
    A good flash light is what you need to pick out the bouys in a dark channel.  Other than that, I can not think of another use for a beamed light.
    A good flash light is what you need to pick out the bouys in a dark channel.  Other than that, I can not think of another use for a beamed light.
    The newer LED Mag Lights would be perfect for that. I have the 2 AA version on my boat and use it to get the attention of other boaters as well as spot markers.
    Go Steelers!!!
  • aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2016
    I use a Streamlight Strion LED HL rechargeable flashlight at work and and at home. Very compact and unbelievably bright.

http://www.streamlight.com/en-us/product/product.html?pid=272
    2008 330EC