Sea Water Impeller replacement

cvmamartycvmamarty Member Posts: 23 ✭✭
I have an 02 242 fiesta vee I am replacing the sea water impeller I have removed the pump but can not pull it out there is a fuel filter I think that looks like a big black box. Does anyone know if I have to remove that in order to take the pump assy out. Boat is in the water any help would be appreciated

Comments

• rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What motor? I would think as a regular maintenance item you should be able to pull the pump without removing anything else- that being said I might be completely wrong and your looking at stuff that is in your way. List the motor and someone may be able to give you more info...
  • brandonmayberrybrandonmayberry Member Posts: 226 ✭✭
    edited May 2016
    I just did mine on my 2000 242 with the 350 mag MPI. Open the lid on the fuel water separator holder. There are two nuts holding the canister to the bracket you should be able to remove them easily and wiggle the fuel water separator out of the way. I dont think its totally necessary to do so but makes removing and reinstalling it much easier.
  • Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ....same with a couple of the 'vettes. $400 to change one plug!
  • youstolemybeeryoustolemybeer Member Posts: 246 ✭✭✭
    1974 pontiac Venture. Had to remove passenger side fender to replace the heater core. tj  jeep. have to remove dash board to replace heater core. Any of the Dodge cloud cars (stratus, sirous) with the 4 banger. have to lift and remove motor mount to replace the serpentine belt.
    Basically there is a flaw in all manufacturing that inhibits some sort of part replacement. Good luck with the pump
  • Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Get back on topic
  • reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Boat is in the water?I though I was the only one to pull the pump out below the water line.pump should come out the front
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mine is a bugger to get at on my 350 MPI, if I did not have the genny it would be much easier. I did pull the alternator off, was easy to do and gave me a lot more room to work. Also, pulled off the fuel pump, don't have a gen III cooler so this really opened up the area to stand on my head and wrestle with that pump! Getting the lines off the back of the pump was was really drove me nuts...I have the brass style pump and I rebuilt the pump with  a shim kit I found, so far as worked out pretty well...next season will change again.
  • cvmamartycvmamarty Member Posts: 23 ✭✭
    Engine is a 5.7 Merc i have seen the fuel water separator holder. Going to remove the cover and it looks like it should come right on out thanks for you help well let you how it goes plan on finishing it fri so I can take out this weekend
  • reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good luck male sure no scoring on housing.
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ras: I found disconnecting the water pump hoses from the back of the engine helps a lot, you can pull them forward to remove/reinstall on the pump much easier.

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI