Options

galley sink slow draining

Hello Everyone,  
My sink is backed up,  and drains really slow.  Anyone have any tips on how to fix this?  

Thanks! 

Comments

• Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1. Don't use drain cleaner, it will eat the plastic piping
    2. Look at the thru hull and see if it is plugged there
    3. Use a hose to blow some pressure through it
    4.  Worst case, get under the sink and take the tube off and clean it

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    ericdataericdata Member Posts: 38
  • Options
    gslprogslpro Member Posts: 222 ✭✭✭
    Eric,
       Does your galley sink drain to the outside or to a holding tank?  If tank, then check that the sump box under the sink is working.  They tend to clog with some of the gel hand soaps and cooking greases.  If it is clogged because of the pump, then your carpet should probably be wet.  under my sink, the hose was bent pretty bad by the privacy wall in there.  The thing they put in to make it look nice.  It should have had a cut out in the top for the hose to be straighter.  Start there.
    Gary and Diane
    290 FV Nauti Bonnie
  • Options
    Thanks gslpro, I don't think there's a holding tank,  pretty sure it drains out from the side of the boat.  I'm going to try to blow pressure with my shop vac this weekend and pay my results.   Cheers!
  • Options
    ShaunShaun Member Posts: 30 ✭✭
    Eric , my galley sink drained so slow last year it took five minutes to empty a sink full or so it seemed. I removed the hose coming off it in the winter then unscrewed the drain. The plastic piece under the sink but before the barb for the hose had what I can only describe as a funnel inside it. I saw no use for it and removed the inner funnel with a die grinder. Took about 10 seconds. Sink drains perfect now. Hope this may help you.
  • Options
    BabyboomerBabyboomer Member Posts: 918 mod
    There's no trap I used a long wire strap and ran it down the drain

Slip 866 Sunset Marina Byrdstown Tn
  • Options

@Shaun, I bet that funnel piece was to limit backflow too, in case water was coming UP the drain.  A big issue for sailboats since they heel over so far, hence why they have a valve on every thru hull. 

I know on mine, if I get water coming up with the distance it would have to go, I have bigger issues.  I suspected this issue on my bilge pump (backflowing) so I added in a pipe loop to the through hull (and changed the thru hull to a 90 degree type)

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    vquadvquad Member Posts: 116 ✭✭✭

ive had mine get clogged by a mud daubers nest before

I took a water hose and a coat hanger and cleaned it out

2007 rinker 270

"Julie Ann"

• Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,460 admin
    Try shop vac...
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    ShaunShaun Member Posts: 30 ✭✭
    BD, I kind of figured that was what is was but like you if I needed it I figured it was too late.
  • Options
    Hey everyone just to follow up,  shop vac to blow and sink cleared in a few seconds.  
    Cheers! 
  • Options
    Got to love an easy solution. Proving again a good blow ... helps everything. lol

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,460 admin
    Love those easy fixes.......
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com