Options

Intermittent Engine alarm upon startup

davisesqdavisesq Member Posts: 6
I took the boat out for 1st time and ran it for about 30 mins, and this alarm started. Lube oil monitor was full, temp gauge was fine, oil pressure gauge was fine.  I have checked the voltage from the alternator, and there's a slight variation across one of a specific battery, (always around 12.5-12.7 vdc running @ 2k rpm) the other battery was constantly around 14+ vdc.  

Answers

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,538 mod
    Which engine do you have?  Is it a constant beep, or a double-beep every 60 seconds?  

Look here for a list of alarm codes for Merc:

http://rinkerboats.vanillaforums.com/discussion/1042/encountering-faults-check-this-out 
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,236 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't think voltage will cause an alarm, I'm sure someone will have some info for you..maybe just a bad sensor...
  • Options
    212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    the batt with the constant 14vdc is likely the one in direct line with the alternator... 
  • Options
    I have the 5.7 MPI, and it's a double bleep.
  • Options
    Thanks for the Codes... it will help with somethings that I can look for.. Plz let me know if any other thoughts...
  • Options
    How do I test the sensor for the lube oil?
  • Options
    frenchshipfrenchship Member Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭
    There is a float inside the lube reservoir,sometime it will get stuck in old oil residu 
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

The float runs up and down on an SS pin. As @frenchship said it can get hung-up.

***** However, I respectfully suggest that you BE VERY CAREFUL when making sure the float can travel freely on the SS pin as there is an "E" clip that holds it in place that comes off easily. If that happens you will have to replace the whole reservoir.

.....ask me how I know! LOL 

• Options
    So what's the best way to get a look at / test the float? Do I need to some how drain the bottle? or do I "dare" try to finger it?  ;)
  • Options
    frenchshipfrenchship Member Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭
    Best way empty the container remove it from the boat and you can make clean with a bit of gas and by putting upside down the float should move on is SS shaft
  • Options
    edited May 2016

@daviseq did the alarm noise stay on the entire time? Sometimes the oil pressure sender will send some alarms if the engine oil is a bit low then stop after the engine oil heats up and expands a bit. Do you have closed cooling? Low coolant can trigger an alarm. If the battery that was registering 12.5 volts moved up and down from that point it might trigger an alarm too. You might want to load test it with a meter to see if it's sucking current.

You have ruled-out your IAC? You have checked the grounds for temp and oil senders - when they go bad they go to ground!.

Post edited by Michael T on
  • Options
    @Michael T the alarm starts w/n the 1st minute of startup, and occurs every 60 secs thereafter.  It's sea water cooling. Batt gauge is constant at about 12.5. How do  I rule out the IAC, and where do I find the grounds for the temp and oil senders?
  • Options
    edited May 2016

@davisesq, I'm not lazy but you'll find a ton of information on the forum search if you go to the search box at the top of this page and type in IAC.....those little buggers, while totally necessary, are certainly a source of aggravation.

Re-read your original post if you were getting a normal temp reading the temperature sender (and gauge) should be fine as when they go they often ground-out and you'll see that. Normal temperature for 30 minutes should rule-out a restricted sea water flow....okay I'm still thinking about this!