Options

Speedo not working

rinkerboyrinkerboy Member Posts: 46 ✭✭
Since putting the boat back in after a lift out, the speedo is not working. I am using the SatNav to give me my speed.

Any tips what to check to trace the fault.

thanks

2003 - 250 FV  MerCruiser 5.0 MPI

Comments

• Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2016
    This can be caused by several things. If you have an external pitot tube screwed to the transom it could have been damaged by the lift out. IF your pitot consists of a series of holes or slots in the drive they may have been blocked during lift out or some sea weed that was on it got lodged in the pick-up hole(s). If your drive was lifted up for maintenance the tubing may have been deliberately disconnected at the drive and not re-connected, this has happened to me several times in the past. If you are getting water under the helm then the pitot tube has become disconnected from the back of your speedo. Forum members have corrected matters a number of ways from a good run on the water to using compressed air to blow out any debris by disconnecting the tube at the back of the speedo and using a small portable compressor. Lastly, but less likely, your gauge has malfunctioned.
  • Options
    zaverin1zaverin1 Member Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2016
    That about covers it all.
    besides a bad speedo or broken/pinched hose that's all you have.

Post edited by zaverin1 on
  • Options
    @zaverin1, good call on the pinched hose, that will do it too!
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mine came disconnected at the drive last season. Jumped in and was able to hook it back up.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    zaverin1zaverin1 Member Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2016
    when my boat went for a sea trial lol without me. I was in a hospital icu.
    dude called and said I can't believe your 280 has working speedo. I said I had drives serviced and guy blew out the pickups lol
    thats until I get into sandy shallows for the first time and they stop working again

• Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
    good one shawn- they are not very accurate anyway, I go by my GPS= mine got plugged or something also but have not bothered to track down the problem...
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    @shawnmjr....okay that does it...... I'll have to find a picture of me suiting-up for a dive with a speedo on LOL. You can't wear (at least easily) a regular bathing suit or it rolls-up in the wetsuit, particularly the 5 mil ones we wear, and looks and feels like a diaper. Since I'll be wearing diapers (again) soon enough we wear speedos. You'd better pray I have deleted last winter's dive photos and even if I have you'd better shield your eyes in the Spring of 2107 'cause I'll take one now for sure at next winter's dive sessions LOL.....unless you all take up a collection to stop the post! USD $!00 would do it!
  • Options
    Too funny! I wouldn't do that to you!