Rinker 260 batteries dead

Lady DanaLady Dana Member Posts: 14 ✭✭

Hi,

Today, I intended to go cruising with my Rinker 260 (2008). But when I wanted to start the engine, it seamed that the batteries where "empty".

Situation : -when i leave the boat (Always) , the shore power is connected -the battery charger is on -the fridge is on also -the battery switch is off

A friend helped me with a spare battery to open the engine hedge and to connect the spare battery so the engine could be started

Is it possible that the battery-charger is broken ?  Where can I find the battery-charger ? 

Thanks for your replies ......

Rudy

Comments

• chamberbchamberb Member Posts: 265 ✭✭✭
    Are you connected to starboard or port shore power? Is the breaker for the correct side turned on? The starboard breaker can be hard to find. Is the meter in the cabin reading 110 volts so you know it's getting power? Is the breaker for the battery charger turned on? It seems more than the battery charger is at play, assuming you used the boat then put it in the slip, something drained both batteries since you docked it. The battery charger is in the engine compartment on the forward port side. You have to look under the lip towards the front of the boat to see it. 
  • StartronicsStartronics Member Posts: 4
    The same thing happened to me, check your breaker.
    I ended up replacing my Battery charger
    Now I have 3 Interstate Group 31Marine AGM Batteries, the best battery in the market for the application. Very reliable and excellent warranty 36 Months free replacement 
  • MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Firstly do you have 110V showing on the panel? Second I assume you put the charger breaker on.

The charger is in the engine compartment on the firewall right in front of the engine on port side.  Yes the charger could have a problem.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• howardramshowardrams Member Posts: 223 ✭✭✭
    Rudy, I usually have the battery switch "on" even when on shore power and while my converter/charger is operating.  But once you locate your charger you should see the LED display lit up if it's getting power.  Check for loose wires and make sure no beakers are tripped.
  • Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Personally, I leave the battery switches always on. Chargers do go bad, you should see on the charger if it is working. If your engine batteries are sealed, they can eventually go dry, they can explode if charging it dry. If they feel hot, replace. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • NavyCTRCNavyCTRC Member Posts: 303 ✭✭✭
    I thought my battery charger was bad, if it's the original one, take a few minutes to open it up.  There is a fuse inside, it can blow if the batteries were ever shorted like mine.  That story involves a dropped wrench.
  • Lady DanaLady Dana Member Posts: 14 ✭✭
    I have let it replace ... hope this was the cause.
  • Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Battery switch should be on and the battery breakers should not be tripped. When I first got my 280, the PO had "tripped" the battery breakers. I did not snow this and while I was out, I almost ran out of power.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This week end we sleep in a bay, got up next morning was heading to breakfast at local marina, alarm when't off at dash, studying gages battrie was maxed out, shut down boat, tryed to restart, when't 200 ft,  alarm again, 3 time it would not start, after a short evaluation, I decited engine battrie dead, so I switched to generator battrie and made it to the dock, after pulling both battries, found it was dated 2003. LOL they do not last for ever LOL new battries do now last very long.
    Boat Name : 

• chamberbchamberb Member Posts: 265 ✭✭✭
    Wow, that battery didn't owe you anything :)
  • Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Holy caca. 2003!  That's a deal!

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI