Florida Power Boat Club To Cuba

Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

Steve's latest adventure - his run to Key Yest had me thinking about a run to Cuba then this morning I opened my e.mail and there was an electronic issues of Boating magazine with an article from the Florida Power Boat Club about their trip to Cuba.

I have been to Cuba over 15 times since 1987. Beautiful beaches, Varadaro beach is one of the top 5 in the world. Absolute best rums and cigars. Nicest people I have encountered anywhere.

They have followed all of our sports for years and probably know the names of more baseball/basketball and even hockey players than 99% of North Americans.

Extremely high rates of education. Some of the best trained doctors in the world. Absolutely beautiful resorts with great food if you pick a 5 star. Americans are welcomed with open arms by the Cubans.

Anyway that's my opinion but what got me started on this thread was an article in my new boating issue from the President of the Florida Power Boat Club. 20 of their members made a trip to Cuba. You might find it an interesting read.

We will probably be there in December. We can fly there and stay in a 5 star hotel all meals and booze included for a week (we usually stay two weeks) for about $1,500.00 IMO no value like it anywhere in the world.

If interested google www.flpowerboat.com and look for the article on their website.

P.S. There is a link in the article if you look around a bit to a pre-trip to Havana by the group leader Stu Jones to set things up for the trip. There are some interesting pictures of old cars etc.

Post edited by Michael T on

Comments

• Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MT, if Cuba is so nice why do they all want to leave? They are flooding into the US now!
  • Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why do Americans move abroad?  Why did you move across the US to Florida?

Some Cubans just want to travel to the US because then now can - some think the streets of Miami are paved with gold.

Maybe see what the Florida guys post upon their return?

Maybe go yourself?

I have spoken with dozens of Americans who have been to Cuba and dozens of Americans who were in Cuba at the same time as me - every one of them said they loved it.

Well I am not sure what to do with the paperwork, etc
  • BellevilleMXZBellevilleMXZ Member Posts: 732 ✭✭✭
    That would be an interesting trip......LOVE Cuba, only have 2 cigars left from last trip, time to go back ;-)
    2005 Rinker 270 FV Volvo Penta 5.7Gi
  • Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would love to go to Cuba. I'm looking forward to the day that Americans can go there without going on a learning trip. My late father always wanted to go to see the buildings and old cars. Our embargo is a joke and it is about time it ends. 
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!

The guys from the Florida Power Boat Club seemed to have found a way to meet USCG rules. I think the regulations are easing every week that goes by.

I guarantee you as Americans you will be very well received by the Cuban people.

....and yes, Greg your Dad, bless him, would have loved the cars. Go to the pics taken by the FPBC guys on their web site.!

Figured I'd smoke my last wide Churchill while I read that article. :-)
    @BMXZ....Awesome. I've tried most of then ....did like Cohibas and Monte Christos though!
  • Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Alswagg said:
    Cuba is the key to boating in the Caribean.   Once Cuba is open then this opens up a whole new loop for boating.  Keys to Cuba to Camin island to Jamaica.  Then back to Cuba east side to Florida 
    Now that would be one great trip!!! My wife and I love Jamaica. We got married there. GC is on my bucket list like Cuba. I just need a bigger boat for the trip. 
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
    Michael T said:
    @BMXZ....Awesome. I've tried most of then ....did like Cohibas and Monte Christos though!
    Yes Montecristo no 2 is my favorite.....Too bloody expensive to buy here
    Copy that! Fat Churchills are great too.