Trying to fix a small hole with Spectrum gelcoat paste patch question from Newbie!

habit68habit68 Member Posts: 111 ✭✭
Hi Rinker family, first let me say I LOVE my 2005 Rinker 250 FV, it has been a great boat for the family and me! I love this site great info. I was hoping someone in the know could help me find out what color the interior fiberglass on my boat is? I am trying to fix a small hole by the back seat on the starboard side. I haven't done this before but I was going to try the spectrum gelcoat paste patch and. think the color is light beige or a bone color but not sure. Did the 250FV from 2005 have different interior colors? Also has anyone used this stuff and is it appropriate for the job? Any help or tips would be greatly appreciated! Thanks! Here is some pics to show what I am talking about! Neil

Comments

• Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome aboard! I'm sure some gel coat 'experts' will chime in for you.

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • habit68habit68 Member Posts: 111 ✭✭
    Thanks Black Diamond!

• MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's hard to see the color. You sure it isn't straight white? If it is an off white you will need to mix pigments yo get the right color. Assuming you get the right color I would glue a backing piece in behind that seat and apply some epoxy, then once dried clean with acetone and apply the gel coat. Gelcoat should be a thin layer. Then you need to wet sand using 1000 for rough and 2000 for final buff. Then use rotating buffer with compound to shine it up. Be careful you don't sand too much or you start stripping the Gelcoat around the patch to fiberglass. Sanding is easy like sanding plastic. The trick is to try and apply the gel coat as straight and smooth as possible and feather in the sides so you don't have to do much sanding. If your unsure it will probably only cost $100 for an expert to do it at your boat. The materials you need will be almost half that anyhow.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• TikiHut2TikiHut2 Member Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2013
    I'm pretty good with glass work and I'm not sure I'd do it for $100 even if it wasn't mission critical to get a perfect match and can you even get to the back side for backing material. Mask/fill/grind/sand/buff.....

You might just cover it with a slim quarter sized plastic knockout filler painted white (or use a skinny starboard slug) and glue it on with a bit of 5200. Nobody but you would ever notice it down there.

Just a thought. Mike

EDIT: Hey welcome to the forum.
    Post edited by TikiHut2 on
    2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
    Regular weekender, Trailer stored indoors, M/V TikiHut, Sarasota, Fl
    edited July 2013
    Thanks guys, I don't think I need a backing as it doesn't go all the way threw. Should I put the paste on in a couple of layers or one thick one? Never used the paste patch from spectrum before anyone used it? I will try and get a depth measurement of the hole today.
    Do i need to rough up edges, it feels really brittle.
    Thanks again for all the info!

• Capt_SteveCapt_Steve Member Posts: 281 admin
    @habit68 ... that color is Spectrum Sand White #4016
    Thanks Capt steve!

• Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,550 mod
    I've used the gel coat from spectrum and you should be able to fill the hole if there is backing.  I'd say you'd be safe if the thickness is less than 3/8" thick.  It will tell you in the directions about thickness, just follow that.  Also, be sure to not put a lot of extra on, or you'll be sanding for a while.  I was impressed with my first time using the stuff.  If you do all the sanding steps it will come out nice. Good luck!

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

edited July 2013
    Thanks Dream inn, I think the paste should work ok. There is no need for backing as it is not a hole but a large chip. There is fiberglass behind and its less than a 1/8th of inch deep and 1/2 inch in diameter. Here is a better picture!
    Post edited by habit68 on
    image.jpg 1005.1K
    I did my repair in about two layers. Use a blow drier to speed up the drying process.

"Boat + Water = Fun"

edited July 2013
    Thanks for all the advice and help guys! I get the patch kit in the next week or so, when I do the repair I will post pics for those interested.
    Thanks!

• Glassguy54Glassguy54 Member Posts: 588 ✭✭✭
    I have a small chip on the bow of my 2007 246 Captiva that I would like to repair, but I did not receive any of the owner's manuals or any other litreature regarding my boat when I bought it. It is on the black color band, but the Spectrum web site lists 3 different Black colors for Rinker, and I don't know exactly which one I have. Any body out there have the definitive answer for the factory black for a '07 246?
  • Capt_SteveCapt_Steve Member Posts: 281 admin
    @Glassguy54 ... it's Spectrum #4021
    Hi gang, so I finished my gelcoat repair. It turned out very good, especially for a guy with no experience!
    I ended up doing only one coat with the Spectrum patch paste. I would defiantly recommend this product for a novice or expert. It went on like toothpaste and held vertically. I used wax paper on top of the gelcoat to help it set and to smooth it out, worked great. I then wet sanded with 400, 600, 800, 1500 and then compounded, polished and waxed. Here are some pics.
    First with wax paper, second after sanding and third after compound and polish!

• raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,455 admin
    Awesome job... Looks great..
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,775 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a couple of spots on my boat that I would like to patch. I have the Spectrum kit sitting in my garage but never got around to it. Now that I see the results it makes me want to try it out!
    2008 330EC
    edited July 2013
    Hey aero3113, I use this as a guide from another website.
    I start by beveling the edges of the nic or gouge. I use a cutting bit in a dremel tool. The bit looks like a small round ball, with file grooves on it. I use it very delicately to bevel the edges down to the fiberglass. Next, clean the repair area with acetone. Next, apply masking tape around the area to be repaired. Mix the hardner with the gel coat per manufactorer instructions. Apply the gel coat using a body puddy spatchula. Make the gel coat flush with the masking tape surrounding the repair area. If the repair is deep, it might take two applications (coats) to build up to the proper level. Once the gel coat is cured, begin wet sanding (use a sanding block) with 400 grit paper. Once you start to get down to the tape, switch to 600 grit. Once you've sanded the masking tape off, switch to 800 grit, then to 1,000 grit. Be sure to keep the paper wet at all times. Once your done sanding, apply some 3m paste wax, and buff. I've used this technique and after I'm done, even I can't tell where the repair area is. It's very easy. If I can do, so can you.
    I will add that if you put wax paper on the patch and then smooth out the repair with a spatula it will reduce the sanding needed and it also helps the repair cure by not allowing air at it. The wax paper won't stick and removes easily even 20 hrs later.
    Good job. Looks great!

"Boat + Water = Fun"

Habit68, when you mixed up the spectrum how long did you have to work with it before it started to cure?
    2008 330EC
    about 10 to 15 min.

Thanks
    2008 330EC
  • ShaunShaun Member Posts: 30 ✭✭
    Steve, I have a 2008 320 factory white. What would be the color match for that.
  • seguirseguir Member Posts: 170 ✭✭✭

ya....but they want $28 for shipping.  Twice the product.   What gives?

• Huff310Huff310 Member Posts: 18 ✭✭
    I have a small chip on the side of my boat. Does anyone know what color ill need? White 2001 Rinker 310. Thanks for the help.
    Hey Huff, I believe it should be the same color as mine, Rinker sand white 4016 (Years 2000- 2005)
  • Strother85Strother85 Member Posts: 38 ✭✭
    2014 Rinker Captiva 276.  I have a dime sized chip in the rear bottom gelcoat.  What color white is this? Can I use the spectrum patch kit to repair?
  • dropoutdropout Member Posts: 138 ✭✭✭
    See attached Spectrum color chart sent from Rinker.
  • Strother85Strother85 Member Posts: 38 ✭✭
    silly question, but where can I find out what color white my hull is?
  • dropoutdropout Member Posts: 138 ✭✭✭
    silly question, but where can I find out what color white my hull is?
    The color chart is in the previous post, take a look.