I would like to remove or fold down arch on my 280 EC for ease of storage, how do I go about this?

CDHamptonCDHampton Member Posts: 1
I would like to remove or fold down arch on my 280 EC for ease of storage, how do I go about this?

Answers

• Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You could have it hinged and use actuators to lower/raise.  Nothing new, just a bit of custom work.  Taking it off is a decent amount of work and not just an on/off thing.

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • TikiHut2TikiHut2 Member Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd love to see how this has been done too. BD, I've been looking for this solution to my 5" overhead issue for a yr and a half. I researched SS hinges and industrial sized SS pivots and still wasn't happy with stability vs the re-engineering it'd take. If there are other boat mfgs doing this I'd be very interested in links to the details and pics if possible. Don't really need an actuator to lift it into place but securing it for rough seas is a priority.

Hey CD welcome to the forum and great 1st post. Mike
    2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
    Regular weekender, Trailer stored indoors, M/V TikiHut, Sarasota, Fl
  • BabyboomerBabyboomer Member Posts: 918 mod

Slip 866 Sunset Marina Byrdstown Tn
  • Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's a bit of work, and wiring, you can either fold it from where it meets the hull (harder) or fold it farther up.  Here's a few links:

This company was supposedly working with Formula for this too:
    Paradise Manufacturing, L.L.C.
    1090 Norell Avenue North
    Stillwater, MN 55082
    Phone: 651-216-7712
    Email: Timtev@comcast.net

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • pepmysterpepmyster Member Posts: 308 ✭✭✭
    Having a 280 also, be neat to see this done! Welcome to the site!

All I've wanted was to just have fun.

• kneedeepkneedeep Member Posts: 103 ✭✭✭
    My 09 340 has a hinged arch. I'll get a pic & post it later today. There are a few bolts on each side & then it folds down, it's quick & easy, but its pretty heavy - you need 2 people to lower, raise it.
    For some reason I'd only considered hinging it at the attachment point to the boat which was impossibly complicated. Leaving the mount at the side of the boat alone and cutting in a hinged shoe with a stout retaining pin about 12" up from the rail would be much more practical. Thanks, those pics and links helped greatly and the project seems very possible.

As much as I'd like the cool factor of an electric actuator to hoist it into place like a convertible car roof, my arch is substantially smaller than the arch on a 340 and I only have a tiny TV antenna and my VHF whip up there. For the sake of simplicity I'd aim for manually pushing it into place and setting the pin.

This is about where the surgeon will make the 1st incision.....(pic below) . There will be graphic images of a saw in-hand if I go for it I'm sure.

Any other pics or details of the hinges, retaining hardware or other designs would be helpful. Thanks, Mike

My problem......and the possible fix....

2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
  • aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2013
    Does the arch serve any other purpose to you besides the antennas? (speakers or lights). You could get rid of it if it's an easy removal. Mount the VHF on the starboard side and the T.V.antenna on a mast on the port side. You won't have to worry about someone pulling on the arch and it falling over.
    2008 330EC
    edited July 2013
    Thanks Aero. It'd be very rigid or I won't hinge it. The arch does add some moxie to the boats look so I think it'll stay. The decision will be whether it's a straight forward cut and hinge project or just excessively troublesome to do. Finding appropriately stout hinge and clamp hardware is far tougher than doing the layout and cutting it off which shouldn't take more than a few mins.

A concern will be if it had been bolted into place under compression or wedged on. Unless it was perfectly fit at the factory(likely ??), when it's cut it'll be tough to get re-aligned. I'll think it through before the saw goes to it. Thanks, Mike
  • kneedeepkneedeep Member Posts: 103 ✭✭✭
    Tiki, I haven't had a chance to go to the boat to take pics of my hinged arch, but I was thinking..I'm guessing you've already thought of raising the door opening of your garage? If not possible, what about lowering the floor? Assuming its a concrete floor, you could have it saw cut where the trailer would fit, a bobcat could break up & take out the concrete, then excavate 12-18" of dirt, then pour a new 6" slab - dropping the floor just where the trailer would be. I'd rather cut my garage than my boat. Just an idea.
    Thanks knee. Pretty much ruled out.the effort itd take to mod the shop. Its built like a tank. Itd be great to get the whole boat in the shop but every project has its limits so Im happy to see what itll take to put a hinge in the arch.

Appreciate the effort and everyones input. Mike
  • seguirseguir Member Posts: 170 ✭✭✭
    If this is for "long" storage only (winter months)....why not remove the 6 bolts (3 on each side) access from the speaker and lie it down then put it back up in the spring.   In the summer just cover the boat.