East end of Long Island

I am taking a trip out to Sag Harbor & Montauk in the beginning of  August...any do's/don't I should be aware of?

Also, has anyone stayed at Star Island YC or Montauk YC?

2001 310 Fiesta Vee

T-5.0 FWC Mercs w/ B2

Comments

• diggin2day1diggin2day1 Member Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭✭
    Depends on where you are coming from.... I am in the Patchogue area and went to Block Island last year in August(going again this year the 2nd week in August as well!). We took the "inside" route, through the Shinnecock Locks, traveled on south side of Shelter Island and out to Block. Took us about 5hrs with the slow zones etc... My biggest concern was passing through Moriches(especially near the Coast Guard Station) AT or NEAR high tide. We stopped in a cove at Shelter Island for lunch and passed right by Lake Montauk(plan to stop in Montauk this year)... Not sure if you've been to Block Island, but highly recommended it!!
  • FlyingBlind310FlyingBlind310 Member Posts: 49 ✭✭
    I'll be coming from Seaford...staying on the inside. I was thinking about Block but i am weary of the crossing from Montauk. I've been on charters out there that get tossed around when the winds kick up...would be worried about my 310 FV

2001 310 Fiesta Vee

T-5.0 FWC Mercs w/ B2

• diggin2day1diggin2day1 Member Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭✭
    FlyingBlind- I did it in my FV270, on the way there it was really snotty. On the way home we cruised from BI to Montauk at 28mph... It was like a lake!! Definitely have to pick your days/weather carefully, but it is SO WORTH IT!! I fly grandma up to watch the kids/dogs and just my wife and I take the trip... We bring the dink and stay at anchor for 4 or 5 days. There's a dinghy dock to tie up your dink and take a taxi into town. Truly a beautiful place.