Thank You! Thank You! Thank You!

Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's A Wrap was supposed to be my final comment for a very, very long time.

However, I want to make sure all of you know I am leaving with the most profoundly positive feelings possible.

I also want you to know how much your kind comments mean to me. More than I can ever say. I received many times more from you than I ever gave!

Every time I see a Rinker I will think of you guys and the forum with a smile...and there are four Rinkers in the marina right below my condo windows.

I know I will be (hopefully) walking down a beach, in a restaurant or on a dive boat in some distant location and think of a comment someone has made one here  (thank you Steve) and start laughing. I'm sure people will think I am nuts.

I will never be able to hear the sound of a marine generator without thinking of BD!

I will never visit a forum where the moderators work harder, the participants are kinder or the advice is better!

The Admiral and I have booked vacations for two weeks in Florida in August, Two weeks in Aruba in September, soon to be booked two weeks in Phoenix in November. Turks and Caicos booked already  from January to March of 2017, then four weeks of more of diving in Hawaii.

So, here goes:

1. On June 2nd I was having my monthly blood transfusion. When it was over the lead nurse came up to me and said Michael we need to run your blood lab again. That was a first in over 14 years. I have had almost 300 blood draws but never two in a day. I knew it wasn't for a good reason.The second one confirmed that my white blood cells had almost entirely collapsed. They could not give me any of the normal antidotes for fear that my bone marrow would collapse completely. No complaints at ALL, I have been lucky to have played-out this much rode (notice that BD? I said rode not line or rope LOL). Strike one.

2. The other night I was on the forum at about 12:30. The Admiral leaned into the den and said I know you are very busy with the Forum but if you have a minute could we talk about something before you go to bed. She has sat through 14 years of chemotherapy, blood transfusions, doctors appointments and some harrowing moments. As I closed the forum off for the night, I thought man, you need to spend more time with that girl! Strike two

2. Finally, when I was a teenager we used to visit each others' cottages for bonfires. At one friend's cottage his dad would always join the campfire - but he would stay for hours talking about HIS good old days! Once when walking home I said to a friend, man, I sure hope I know when it's time to leave the party! He replied. yeah - me too! Lately, I feel as if I have been repeating myself a lot...and I have. I have watched all the new guys join and get right in with the main forum guys and it has been so cool to see all of the new excitement...and I feel old. It IS time for me to take my own advice and leave the party before I am just that crazy old fa*t posting again. Heck, I don't even have a boat any more. Strike three.

Some time ago I mentioned that I had talked with Kim Slocum and how he had given me a shot of lightening in the arm about the way he spoke of his plans for Rinker. I thought Oh Man! It IS going to happen - Rinker IS back.

Then when I saw all of the amazing posts from you guys showing all of your custom work and modifications and I thought - wouldn't it be nice to have all of these on one category. When Ray (@Raybo) said we didn't have the passwords to effect the change but graciously volunteered to collate all of the posts himself I thought, that's not fair. I decided to take my past advice to you and call Rinker. I hoped to get Kim again but I did just as well. Steve Wheatley went from maybe we can do something to I am going to make it happen and then expressed his desire to support you guys in the re-building of our beloved Rinker line. I could feel his excitement over the phone line!

That night I was sitting in the sunroom in the dark looking out across the water and I started to smile. I thought man, what a ride I have had with all these Rinkers and all the guys on the forum. What an exciting time for them to have those great boats and each other. I have been so lucky!

It IS time for me to leave the party, this IS a wrap!

So, I leave with the fondest memories possible. I am sure that I will look in from time to time, just because.....

But.... I just can't help myself, I have to leave you with a picture that appeared in our newspaper many. many years ago. It was shot by a photographer from shore. In it the Admiral and I were out for a run in our new Rinker 192 4.3LX. A guy in a another bow rider had tried to race us and the Admiral gave me the green light. We "spanked" him and then came off plane to enter our marina. That's when the picture was shot. I knew the photographer. He sent us the clipping and the original and asked, "Michael, were you racing him?"

I replied, "Darcy, I drive a Rinker, you don't race other boats, you "spank" them".

Comments

• aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MT, you've been such a great asset to this forum, you will surely be missed. Please sighn in once in a while and say hello. Our good thoughts and prayers will go out to you. 

P.S. Maybe you should get back in the seat of a little two seater sports car and spend some time on land with your Admiral. I think your first choice of car should be a Ghia  ;)
    2008 330EC
  • rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Michael- I knew you have some serious health issues from a post in the past but had hoped everything was under control. As one of those new guys, this forum is so much more than just that. Good luck, God bless and you do what you feel you need to do but, I do hope you stop by and say hello. None of us have a date stamp on our foot for when it is our time and we should all re read your post at least once. I know as I get older, the way I spend my time gets much more thought out than my younger days.
  • MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MT hats off to you. Take a break, enjoy life. We're here when you want to chat. 

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• LaReaLaRea Member Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MT, I can't agree that you're the crazy old fa*t talking too long about the good old days ... your posts are always insightful and entertaining!  I hope we'll be hearing from you often, my friend.
  • Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Godspeed my friend. Enjoy yourself and if you ever find yourself in the Steel City, look me up. If it is in season I'll take you for a ride on my "small to you" 280 on the Three Rivers. We can grab a Primanti's sandwich as well!!! Fries, slaw, meat and cheese on one sandwich. Oh so good!!!
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • BayrunnerBayrunner Member Posts: 177 ✭✭✭
    I've only been on for a short time but want to wish you and the Admiral best wish in whatever you do in enjoying your life together.  Thanks for all your great advice. 
    Bayrunner -- FV312 - Simple Pleasure
  • pault1216pault1216 Member Posts: 206 ✭✭✭
    Best of luck to you Michael T.Our thoughts and prayers are with you. Thank you for your many contributions to this site. -Paul
  • Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MT, You've been a great assest to everyone here, and I think we all agree: a great friend. Good luck to you, enjoy yourself!

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • HamdogHamdog Member Posts: 247 ✭✭
    MT...you have saved me many boat dollars with your sage advice including just this week with your spot on ice maker fix. The Admiral and I wish you nothing but the best my friend. The forum will certainly miss you but hopefully you have trained enough of us to keep up your good work!! 
    "Wetted" Bliss 2005 Rinker 342 - Black Hull - Twin Mercruiser 350 Mags - BIII's
  • Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Florida in August MT?? Are you nuts? Well you have my contact info if you ever want to meet up.
    Best Regards,
    Steve
  • randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mt agreed you should spend more time with your sweetie, you can still spend a small amount of tme with us also, your help, on this forum is unreplaceable. Going to miss you and Handy going at each other. I new you were haveing health issue's but did not know how far along you were. Listen up! this party will never end, and you can pop in and out anytime. Never Give Up!
    Boat Name : 

• halifax212halifax212 Member Posts: 553 ✭✭✭
    Michael, you are a class act and I wish you and your Admiral all the best moving forward. Stay healthy my brother and keep living life to the fullest! 

Brian

• DanD2DanD2 Member Posts: 847 ✭✭✭
    Good Luck to you MT....I don't post much but have certainly learned a lot from you.
    No longer a boat owner.....previous boat - 2005 Rinker Fiesta Vee 342
  • craigswardmtbcraigswardmtb Member Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭
    I hope you weather your storm and have many more days of sunshine. Thank you for all your contributions. It will be strange not to have your posts here. 
  • NavyCTRCNavyCTRC Member Posts: 303 ✭✭✭
    MT,

You will be missed around here.  God Bless...you are a class act sir.
  • jme097jme097 Member Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭
    Good luck to you and yours MT. I can say that I have only been on the forum for a year or so since I got my Rinker but I could always know that if I have an issue that I posted about, that I could always bet that you would chime in with an answer and a very knowledgeable one at that. In this day in age when forum members sometime get snippy with each other about using the "search" before posting and other stupid things, people could always count on your responses to be very useful but also very kind and respectful as well. 

Boat Name: Knot A Worry
    2007 280 Rinker Express 6.2L B3
  • terrypageterrypage Member Posts: 165 ✭✭
    Good luck Sir from the UK
  • Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod
    MT, I understand what you are saying (as I sit here at the beach looking at Rinker forum). Enjoy time with family and I really hope someday our paths will cross. God Bless!

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Mike_GMike_G Member Posts: 258 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2016
    Hey Mike..  good luck man.  I am glad that I got to experience a year and a half of your posts on this forum.  It's too bad I never got down to Erie to meet ya.  The occasional search finds even more of your wisdom and entertaining stories.

You will be eternally immortalized in many ways, one of which will be the posts on this forum (not to be "dark" or anything).  I'm not sure if you have children... My dad has Stage 4 pancreatic cancer that has metastasized into his lungs.  He is also almost out of options for further treatment.  He is barely in his mid 60s (I am in my 30s).  I missed many years of his life (my fault really) and I wish I had something like years of stories and knowledge on a forum to be able read.  I'm sorry... I'm not sure where I'm going with this.  I can tell that you (like him) are continuing to live life to the fullest.  Have fun in your travels and never stop living!

Come back and check in when you can.  I wouldn't mind reading an occasional experience about your travels.  Turks and Caicos (DROOL!!) is somewhere I WILL go some day.  

BTW.. here's a video that got me interested in the Turks and Caicos (and Exumas) in the first place.  Good music, cool Azimut boat and lots of cool footage.  
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBSX3-Q1O3w&list=PLA8A110269B13A46B  

-=Mike G.

2014 Rinker 260EC

• aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool video, I can't engine beaching a boat that big!
    2008 330EC
  • GreggGregg Member Posts: 93 ✭✭
    Not one to chime in but thank you MT really enjoyed reading all your posts. Have only been on hear for a short time. Greg
  • BellevilleMXZBellevilleMXZ Member Posts: 732 ✭✭✭
    Wow , stay away a few days, and all kinds of things happen!!  Keep up the fight Buddy,and get better, and send us all some pics on here of your travels.
    2005 Rinker 270 FV Volvo Penta 5.7Gi