Options

How do people position themselves to work below deck?

MDboaterMDboater Member Posts: 298 ✭✭✭
This might be a silly question but I find that I can rarely get my body into the position that I need to be in to work on the engine or other systems below deck in my 270FV (single engine).  Most things are too far away to reach when lying on the deck and there is little room on the sides of the engine to crouch down or get in a stable (semi-comfortable) position.  Many times I wish that I could just sit or lay on the engine but I don't see how to do that without breaking something.  How much weight would the exhaust manifold riser support?  That seems like a place to sit but I am concerned with putting too much weight there.  As much as I enjoy taking on boat maintenance projects it seems like I always regret them because I can't reach/see/get at the thing I need to work on.  After working below deck last weekend my arms were so bruised from propping myself up in unnatural ways that it looked like I was in a fight....and lost.  

And a question to people how have owned 270s and moved up to bigger boats.  Is there more room to work on the bigger boats given the twin engines?  

Answers

• Options
    jbschmalz23jbschmalz23 Member Posts: 219 ✭✭✭
    I have a 280EC with the 496 engine and generator. Very tight space. I'm not even able to reach my fresh water pump on the firewall to clean the strainer. I was able to lay a cushion down from a chase lounge we had on our porch. I didn't think I was going to ever make it out! Lol. I'm 6'4" and about 250lbs. Talk about interesting! 
  • Options
    skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    When I'm in the engine bay of my 270 it usually involves a lot of swearing and the worst is dropping a tool in the bilge and it falls way under the engine.  

Toughest job I had to take on so far was replacing the bravo fresh water pump while on the water and that resulted in some bloody knuckles.
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    skennelly said:
    When I'm in the engine bay of my 270 it usually involves a lot of swearing and the worst is dropping a tool in the bilge and it falls way under the engine.  

Toughest job I had to take on so far was replacing the bravo fresh water pump while on the water and that resulted in some bloody knuckles.
    Yeah, how much fun was it getting at those hose clamps and removing the hoses?
  • Options
    NavyCTRCNavyCTRC Member Posts: 303 ✭✭✭
    I have 300, which is really a 32 with twin V6's, generator, hot water heater..etc.etc.  It is tight in the engine room.  I am currently missing a day of work because I wedged myself in there to work on the genny.  I must have twisted wrong, my back is killing me.  I don't know how marine mechanics do it??!!  Next cruiser is having stand up room in the engine room, or outboards.
  • Options
    skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    @MDboater -  The hard part was scrambling after the plug I had for the hose was too small and I had to run and find something else to shove in there :)

Tightening the clamps was a B****
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    Volkl1996Volkl1996 Member Posts: 72 ✭✭
    Watch and learn from a marine mechanic. Most lay a cushion of some kind across the top of the engine and then lay across it.

I once got stuck behind the generator on my last boat, a 2001 Regal 3780. 5 minutes to change 3 spark plugs, 30 minutes to get in/out.
  • Options
    lionelzlionelz Member Posts: 54 ✭✭
    When I'm working in the bay I always disconnect the hydraulic ram and open the hatch right up.  This gives much more room and save some awkward positions
  • Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its the most enjoyable thing there is, twisted up like a bread wraper, bloody head, hands, arms, sweeting, learned new words, and yes I sit and stand on manifolds when not hot. Yes I sit on top of spark arester . I  Allways disconect hatch and open, unless just checking oil and such. LOL got to love it. 
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    diggin2day1diggin2day1 Member Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭✭
    I am able to drop into the engine bay on the port side, get on my hands/knees and crawl around the front of the engine to work on it. Anything involving the starboard/rear area I use a cushion and lay across the engine(like changing spark plugs).... I'm 6' tall and 235lbs.
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,460 admin
    This is my secret. I dont work on my boat. If I need engine work or any work in the bilge I bring it to my marine mechanic and let him do it. I have beaten myself up trying to access components in the engine compartment. So when something needs to be done I just work an overtime shift to pay for it. Works out very well for me...LOL 
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    lionelz said:
    When I'm working in the bay I always disconnect the hydraulic ram and open the hatch right up.  This gives much more room and save some awkward positions
    @lionelz Make sure you tie off the hatch so it can't swing shut on you.  See my earlier post and on disconnecting the actuator.
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,332 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I lay across the top of the engines and accept the chest pains that follow for days. 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yoga. lol

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I built a 14' gantry and outfitted it with an electric wench to pull and swap my engine... I intended to take it down when I was done, but I think it'll stay put, now...

I have a lot of room to work on my engine in my lil 212, but in all honesty, it takes no more than half an hour to pull an engine out of that boat- so for serious work to be done either on the boat or on the engine, I'm thinking I'll yank it right out and have at it.  

pretty much, the outdrive (six bolts?) in one piece, the engine harness, the power steering lines (quick connects), the throttle and shift linkage, the battery lines, and the four bolts to the engine mounts- drop a hook from the wench, put the engine level bar on the lift-eyes, and zip it north.... seriously- 30 minutes... 
  • Options
    pault1216pault1216 Member Posts: 206 ✭✭✭
    I noticed that there was always at least 1 skinny guy working for my marine mechanic....
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,561 mod
    Plenty of room in a bigger boat!  :)  That being said, I've done and still do my share in much smaller boats.  I just crawl down in and go for it.  Always feel bruised or just sore the next day.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    lionelzlionelz Member Posts: 54 ✭✭
    MDboater said:
    lionelz said:
    @lionelz Make sure you tie off the hatch so it can't swing shut on you.  See my earlier post and on disconnecting the actuator.
    I always have 2 of us when I'm doing it.  Lucky the other day I thought to myself how do I open the hatch if the ram fails (it never has) so I thought I would fit a line to the pin and run it to the inside on my rear seat and tie it of.  Thank god I did a few weeks later the ram failed.  So could not do my engine checks.  My bit of cord worked, managed to pull the pin out from the rear seat and pry the hatch open. My electrical cables had come disconnected so was easy to repair.  Would recommend it to anyone now
  • Options
    youstolemybeeryoustolemybeer Member Posts: 246 ✭✭✭
    Alswag.  I gotta comment on that.   I have a 25hp evinrude on a 15 foot johnboat.   It's a dune buggy on the water.   It's the old style so it has a shear pin.   It's freaking Awsome.   Get too far into the mud and the shear pin snaps saving the lower unit. Takes 2 minutes to change. 
    Mad far as positions to work.   I just find the most painful spot not lay on and take Tylenol and beer afterwords