What size prop do i need--no one from Rinker will respond to me !?

BeebeBeebe Member Posts: 16
edited July 2016 in Engine Discussions
I have a brand new Rinker 2015 170 OB with a 90 hp 4 stroke mercury. I let the dealer with a 15 pitch prop , which is so far off I cannot even get a baseline reading to speak to mercury. they said to contact Rinker and find out what the manufacturer of the boat recommends with that specific paring of boat and motor. This sounds reasonable since my dealer is not helping much. But i have emailed, called and even private-chatted on Facebook and no one will answer any  of my questions. I am so disappointed and heart broken that I need this help and can't find a reliable source to advise me. 

any suggestions? Is there some secret password to speak to Rinker? I am exhausted.
Post edited by Beebe on

Best Answer

Answers

• 212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2016
    they're in a bit of a transitional period right now, but are usually very quick to respond and very personable atop that... sorry for your issues with contacting them... 

you found the right place to get prop help though!!!  Though I claim no expertise, I have a decent grip on the subject, and combined with others here knowledge, you'll be squared away quickly... 

what RPM range are you seeing? 

what is the prop brand/model? (good to know for geometry; i.e. cupping, rake, transition of pitch from front to back)

aluminum or stainless?  

number of blades?  

• BeebeBeebe Member Posts: 16
    so I made a mistake. My pitch is 15 P , RPM s are 6,000 or more ...I actually think my prop may be the one for 140 hsp...but not sure  
    aluminum, 3 blades
    edited July 2016
    edited to reflect your gear ratio- you're in the 2.3 range, which makes a big difference between 2.0 and 2.3... I moved your rec'd pitches higher to reflect that... 

I think 6k is the ceiling of where you wanna be... not more... if I'm not crazy, between 5500 and 6000 is prescribed... so... you're under propped...

even on outboards, 3 and 4 blades play by the same rules (unless you're talking pontoon- that's a whole other story)....

1 inch in pitch moves you 200rpm's or close thereabouts.. up, lower, down higher... aluminum spins faster than stainless by about 100rpms... an added blade will cost you 50rpms...  cupping effectively acts like a higher pitched prop, by about 100rpm slower turn, but not until you're all the way up on plane and after the water has transitioned down the blade and is flipping off the trailing edge... an aggressive pitch transitions as much as three full pitches from the leading edge of the blade to the trailing edge, and forces the water to push off of different places on the face of the blade determined by load (expressed by RPMs) on the prop.. rake will generally manifest on the front to back attitude of the boat, and is caused by the difference in angle of the blades entry into to water ahead and the angle it flips it off behind...

a lot to absorb, huh?

how much does your boat weigh? in the 2k range?  

small hub on a merc >115hp outboard... largest diameter is what, 12 3/4"?  

I'd think, decided on weight and what an average user would expect, you'd need at least a 17p 12.75" fury, turbo, or mirage geometry'esqued four bladed wheel on that thing in stainless...  if aluminum you can possibly venture up to 19p three blade... these would be un-vented props, or at least with the vent inserts installed which, in effect, makes them unvented...

your dealer ought to make this right... Rinker can likely make them see it that way...   
  • Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Boat only weighs 1400 I think I have too much rake. diameter is 13.75. tinker will not.does not respond to me!
    I appreciate but I think the rake is off and this prop is rated for 140hsp or more. Mine is 90. Very troublesome.
    after 115hp the gearcase changes from 2.38:1 to 2.03:1- which is pretty significant... do you know what brand and model the prop is?  
  • randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @beebe you did not state your problem, to slow ? to long to plane time? to fast? cannot pull skier?, your rpm sounds a little high. keep giveing more info someone will help you. how do you rate preformance? how long to get on plane? 
    Boat Name : 

to randy...not really a matter of too slow. I can't get out of the hole enough to really find out. when I can get it planed off she just flaps like crazy and rpms start to go above 6m.  It's a merc prop but I was checking it and it seems to be rated fro 140 hsp and more I guess because of the rake. So I think...I could have the same or similar size but designed for my hsp. I could not even think of pulling a skier!

And yes way way to long to plane off and I have to have trim in just one specific spot to do so. 

At first I  thought it was way too small for this boat but this new insight by researching it's ##s are telling me it's too much for my boat...not in size but relating to the rake. Driving me crazy.
    @Beebe, I cannot believe your dealer won't make this brand new boat right. I would be hauling that boat back to them, explain your problems, and ask for solutions. And park in the way of there lot or driveway. And leave it there, if not addressed that day. It's a dealer problem not Rinker problem. Rinker may not have provided the 90 hp. It could have been shipped from Rinker without any engine at all. If it is a good dealership they will make it right.
    Boat Name : 

edited July 2016
    @randy56  you are right and I have just done that today. I just went there, un hitched the trailer and I told them I want it out on the lake and trying multiple props and then on Friday i am coming back and I want THEM  to take me out and show me what they selected. I really wanted to more steps ahead of them 'cause I am not convinced they will come through and not convinced they know what is best. But now I am going to wait till Friday and see what happens. I just have the crummy feeling in my gut.

thank you so much for all your input. If it doesn't work out I may be back on here crying!
    What does it mean to "dial" a prop?  My deal says he is going to do this ....? 
    He likes to be cryptic.
  • raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,455 admin
    edited July 2016
    I would think he means putting a dial indicator on the prop to check its balance. To make sure its not bent........
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
    a dial a prop is a prop that you can change very easy, you can make it a 14, 15, 16, 17, and so on, or what ever works best for your boat. I don't think you would want one permently. ? you will have to ask about that question. but at least you can find out what is best. I thought they would make it right. Good news for you.
    Boat Name : 

Al, got any to fit a Suzuki outboard?
    @raybo3, @randy56, @Alswagg   Well i hope they are doing right by me. I'll find out this afternoon. I just am concerned this guy is going to try to convince me that the current prop is OK. but I don't see how that is possible unless he's a magician. 

Wish me good luck !

• raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,455 admin
    Good luck and keep us posted.
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

Geez Al, here I am at 1:56 in the morning laughing at your post. The Admiral will have me certified.

MY guess.... Steve is drinking too many margaritas in his hot tub/spa resort in C.C. and his beam has increased too much?

90 HP Al. I got caught up on an oyster bar. I will email you the number on the prop