What is this piece of canvas?

Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭✭✭
came with my 342 but I don't know what it is. Looks like a very small boot cover. Roughly 24" long by 3" wide and opens to 6"'wide. Tag says "cmpr boot siv". What is it for? 
07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

Comments

• aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like it could be an extender for part of your canvas?
    2008 330EC
  • Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2016
    If I remember right, if you roll your front canvas top piece around the bar that will go over it and zip to keep in place. It may, may, fit the rear the same way if you roll it over the rear most bar.

Updated:  I overlooked the 24" length, too short for the canvas boot as noted by Lifes Good.  You can always call/email Ameritex

http://ameritexdirect.com/popular-boat-brands/rinker/?gclid=CMnN2Oiw780CFQ6LaQodqtAOsA

Post edited by Black_Diamond on

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Lifes GoodLifes Good Member Posts: 465 ✭✭✭
    To small and zippers not right for a canvas boot.  However, would it fit zip to your front windows back to your arch to hold the front window's up and open out of the way?  If not, it looks like it should bridge to other pieces together.
  • Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks gang. I think that you may be on to something that it is a bridge. I'll check in with TJ and probably call Ameritex. Doubt i need it but would be good to know what the heck it is. 

• raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,455 admin
    I will check out mine. Looks like the canvas boot for the front on a 342. What does the other side look like? Looks like there is a "pocket" or "sleave" on the bottom. 
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • LaReaLaRea Member Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I bought my 342 new, and owned it for ten years, and I never figured out what that thing was.  So don't feel bad.
  • SerenitySerenity Member Posts: 162 ✭✭✭
    I have a 2005 320. I have a similar piece of canvas although not as long that holds up the middle support pole to the arch when I roll the entire aft camper canvas into the boot. I have a twist lock fastener that it attaches to at the base of my anchor light on top of the arch.
  • gslprogslpro Member Posts: 222 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2016
    That is too small to be a canvas boot.  They are usually the width of the canvas (beam of boat).  It does appear to have a pocket, but it could just be a heavy seam as well.  The tag n the top in your picture has a part number.  Have you typed it into a google search to see if something pops up?  It also has two zippers on one side, but only one on the other, so it does not extend an existing zip, and it does not wrap and zip to itself.  So, unless there is something on the backside of that canvas piece that I don't see, you need to find two zippers on your boat that have zippers the same size as the two on that canvas.  Wouldn't make any sense to have a 12" zipper zip onto an existing larger zipper.  And, if it is a sleeve, then it has to be for something that comes apart easily, which the canvas bows do not, or something loose that can slide in, ie: table support pole, etc, though it does not make sense to do that.  I am not totally familiar with the 342, but I am stumped when thinking of my boat what it could be.  
    Gary and Diane
    290 FV Nauti Bonnie
    Sorry not true. The boot for the canvas over the helm is very short and not the width of the boat. Yes the boot has "split" zippers just like its shown in the picture. A picture of the other side would be very helpful.
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • SerenitySerenity Member Posts: 162 ✭✭✭
    The one I have does not hold the canvas--that goes all the way back around the rear support bar and then is wrapped in a boot. I have a middle support pole --no canvas-- that then gets stored against the rear of the arch. The canvas piece I have just holds the pole in place.  
    Thanks guys! Serenity I think you are on to something. When I fold my rear camper top in to the arch that middle bar hangs down so a piece like this to get the bar up would be great. I'll play with it this weekend. I did send a note to @boattech01 also to get TJ's thoughts. Thanks! 

• Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My front bimini needs to be removed and a small 'boot' goes over the rain and pulls the bimini rail to the arch. I rarely take the front top down.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • holscher2438holscher2438 Member Posts: 26 ✭✭
    It looks like the piece of canvas that is zipped over the top support bar of the back bimini.  It zips in to keep that bar in place.
    Y Knot?
  • mikejudd65mikejudd65 Member Posts: 25 ✭✭
    Anyone figure this out? Just bought a 2004 342 with new rear canvas, havent had much time to figure out canvas , removed canvas to have it shrink wrapped , would like to know how to fold aft canvas , thanks in advance 
    "Next Adventure" 2004 Rinker Fiesta Vee 342 , FWC Horizon Mercs, Blue Imron Hull
    Here is how it works behind the arch. Most of the camper top folds back and a boot goes over it. There is a support that’s unzips from the camper top and folds toward the arch. That little sleeve holds that support against the arch. Zoom in to my radar dome and look just below it and you will see the sleeve in action...

• Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So that's where you store the support pole. What's that big gouge in the gelcoat below the gas cap?
  • randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @mikejudd65. most of us do not fold we roll it up. 
    Boat Name : 

@Liberty44140 that is not how I open my 342. I "fold" mine up right to the arch. So the whole back is wide open. Just say'n
    Hey Ray, Have a pic?  I believe that with our set up I could not do that in a clean way. When I folded it all against the arch the bars hit the arch 8" or so below the arch so it looked weird. This was the cleanest way. Will have to play with it this winter.

• davidbrooksdavidbrooks Member Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭✭
    I ordered both bimini boots from TJ after i got my 342.  it took a while to figure it out because of all of what you guys are saying.  I like the idea of putting the boot on with the two poles towards the rear of the boat for exactly the reason that @Liberty44140 mentions.  I installed a second set of anchors for the bimini poles for when i fold it up to the arch.  My boot also came with a small strap that looked like it was meant to secure it to the arch.  
    It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!
    This is the only pic I have of it..... Hope it helps.
    Thanks Ray, looks like you are using the pole attachment at the base of your arch. I have an attachment Point there but I’m not using it, I use the pole attachment that is just aft of the arch, I’m sure the different angles are why we close the tops differently. Nice that we have all of these options!

• davidbrooksdavidbrooks Member Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    @raybo3 That is how i did mine as well. I installed a twist snap on the arch to also use the extra tab that is on the boot. This thread made me feel better because i really wrestled with figuring this out when i got these bimini boots.  I think i remember saying about 20 times...this shouldn't be this hard.
    It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!
    @davidbrooks its really not that hard just a PITA to do. Back to the original post/picture that piece is for the canvas over the helm although it looks a little smaller than mine.............
    Hey Ray, The piece in the original post is mine and it holds the posts to the arch just below the radar dome. Here is a close up of it in action:

edited November 2017
    Yes exactly....... my canvas wraps up in mine....
    Same here but only with the larger boots, that little mini boot in the pic is only a few inches wide and 2 feet long so it is just for holding one pole against the arch like I have it.