Options

Depth Finder

HD2PctHD2Pct Member Posts: 13
Hi Everyone-

I swear I did STFF before posting this.

I just bought a '96 Captiva 212 BR and one curiosity about it is that it has no depth finder. Like most boaters, I operate in an environment where this is sort of a necessity since my budget for props and outdrives is limited.

What are other owners doing as far as solutions? I saw another forum where a guy rebuilt his entire instrument cluster to accommodate a normal gauge, but short of that, what solutions do I have other than the giant "'Bill Dance'-style 'fishfinder'" clumsily bolted somewhere on the drivers side?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Options
    99270fv99270fv Member Posts: 94 ✭✭
    search for a 2 1/2 in depth finder  hummingbird  faria and others
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,797 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Along with the depth finder you can use a good GPS app on your phone to help. I use the navionics app.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    Thanks guys. I do have a good app, which everyone should, but there is a component of my environment that involves rivers, and that is the issue. You know - the same portion that is 4'6" one weekend and 1'6" the next. 

I do hope to find some way to mount a unit such as what 99270 suggests. It might be a weird spot but as long as I can see it.....
  • Options
    MDboaterMDboater Member Posts: 298 ✭✭✭
    Do you already have a transducer that you are trying to connect to or will you install a new transducer?
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Hi MD. I haven't taken delivery yet but I see no indication that anything (display) has been externally mounted so I think they never had one, which is weird. I understand I can put a transducer inside the hull, so that's the plan.
  • Options
    MDboaterMDboater Member Posts: 298 ✭✭✭
    Well you have 2 basic options: thru hull transducer or surface mount at the edge where the transom meets the hull and run the cable up the transom and into the boat above the waterline.  The big difference is drilling a hole in the bottom or your boat or in the transom above the waterline.  I have had both.  My current depth gauge with thru hull transducer goes wonky when traveling fast over shallow soft bottom.  I wonder if it has anything to do with the transducer being on the angle of the hull instead of horzontal or just the quality of the stock depth finder.

• Options
    zaverin1zaverin1 Member Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2016
    I will correct you
    there is one more option and that's surface mounted ducer
    mounts inside the bilge. So no drilling. I use to have one on my dancer hooked into a Garmin 541s
    5200 the base
    fill base cavity with antifreeze 
    install ducer into the base and you are good to go.
    now they can read depth, contour and be used as a fish finder option. All worker real well for me.
    only thing you don't get is water temp since it's not in the water.
  • Options
    howardramshowardrams Member Posts: 223 ✭✭✭
    If you're not looking to mount a huge sonar/plotter combo on your dash, and don't want to bore a 2" hole for a Faria gauge, you could use a little bracket for a single gauge like from an automotive under dash application.  Don't know what kind of space you have to work with on your bow rider.
  • Options
    Going with Hawkeye D10DX. They have a little pedestal mount to use, since I have no instrument cluster room. Seems like this little unit has a ton of features for the money(!)