Raymarine C70 gps/radar update

Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭✭✭
I believe that lots of Rinkers from the early and mid 2000s have this system. Has anyone updated the software yet? I was having an issue earlier this summer where the system would reset itself while under way which seemed to go away with a full system factor reset that I did myself. Then this weekend I had the dreaded vertical lines in the screen which thanks to some googling is easily fixed by pressing on the screen. Loose connection that I'll be opening it up to fix at some point. The radar seems to randomly go in to standby mode but it shows that it's still spinning/transmitting with no errors, wondering if that's a software issue. So I plan to download the latest software (latest version released in 2012) and was wondering if anyone else had these issues and if they have had success with the update? From what I read the updates fixed a lot of issues and I know that no update has been done at least in the last 6 years. I plan to download to a micro sd card and then use a micro sd to compact flash converter to get the compact flash in to the c70. Please share your trials and fixes please :) 
07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

Comments

• LaReaLaRea Member Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Those problems sound like hardware issues, not software.  I recommend shipping the system to Raymarine.  They will do a full system check and update the software as a no-charge warranty repair.  All you pay is shipping one-way.  And if they find hardware problems, obviously they can fix them.  

I did that with my C80, and had it back in my hands about a week later.  
  • Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks LR. One thing I've learned since this post is on the radar going in to standby mode issue- the C70 will lose radar overlay on the chart when you go less than 2 kt and of course both times I lost overlay and went to standby last weekend I was either stopped in the channel waiting to turn, or just after I docked the boat. The fix there is either to add a flux compass to the system (which I will not be doing, not worth it$) or only use radar in radar mode, not in chart overlay mode which is fine with me. I am going to try to update software this weekend as a lot changed from 2005/2006 to 2012. Agree that the vertical line issue is hardware. There are some good posts online about fixing this hardware issue yourself but I may send back this winter anyway. Just looking for any and all experience. Thanks!

I do have one other question - Does everything (GPS antenna, Radar wire, etc) plug in to the back of the C70 display or is there a "brainbox" somewhere? I assume it all plugs in to the c70. Thanks!

edited September 2016
    Ooh, I'm glad you mentioned radar overlay.  It reminded me:  the C70 software versions 5.04 and later DO NOT have the ability to do radar overlay without a heading sensor.  So you will lose the radar overlay!  

IMHO, radar overlay is one of the most important features.  So, here's what I'd recommend:  

Buy a heading sensor (which includes the E12102 rate gyro module plus the M81180 heading sensor, total cost around $300 used on eBay).  Then send your C70, heading sensor and GPS antenna to Raymarine and have them all tested and updated. 

You will like having radar overlay when anchored or tied up because it's easier to watch approaching storms.  Installing the heading sensor is simple and totally worth $300.  
  • reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just purchased 2005 boat with same unit and will do the 5.16 update this week end I'll let you know how unit goes.
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just bought the Raymarine A128. 
    LR - yep your right. RM's website lists 6 or 7 updates but only lets you download 4.3 (update just before overlay was removed) or the newest 5.16 which has the most updates but removes overlay. I downloaded both to dropbox so that I can switch back and forth if I want. I do not have a Navionics chip which is why overlay is not too important right now. I mainly use iPad for chartplotting. I am looking at older Navionics CF chips on eBay for $50 or $60 for next year. Also looking at Raymarine fluxgate compasses as I think they will plug in to the seatalk input on the c70 and can be bought used on eBay for $80. Do you know whether or not the Fluxgate will plug in and solve the overlay issue? 
    renee - yes please let me know, I also plan to update this weekend with a micro SD card plugged in to a MicroSD to CF conveter card.
    Handy - nice

The radar, GPS and fishfinder (if you have one) all plug into the C70.

Same dealing micro to cf.I do have a Navionics card.
    edited September 2016
    @Liberty44140 - you need that plus the E12102 rate gyro module.  The fluxgate plugs into the rate gyro, which plugs into the C70.  That's the system I had on my 342 for ten years ... very reliable.
  • Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod

@liberty44140, I may be able to get you a Navionics card.  I was just messing with a friends C120 this past weekend and he had a couple extra cards, and one may be for your area. 

Also, one thing figured out this weekend was why maps updated moved so slowly on the C120.  I'll have to get more details, but it depended on the Navionics CF card.  For years my friend could almost not use his C120 because as he cruised, it wouldn't update map quick enough.  Come to find out this whole time it was related to the Navionics card.  It's funny this topic came up on here, because we also were talking about fluxgate and rate gyros this past weekend. :)

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

@Dream_Inn thanks! Would be great if your friend had a card for my area. Thanks for checking! Interesting on the slow map refresh rate. Has he been updating the software along the way on the C120? I assume yes if he has been playing with diff nav cards. You'd think that would be fixed with a software update but who knows.

@LaRea thanks for the links and info on the rate gyro. I added this to my long winter expense budget :) May try to keep an eye out for something used over the winter. Would love to add at some point. I am now thinking that I may just update software to v4.3 instead of v5.1 so that the overlay option is still there now and then go to v5.1 when I get the fluxgate added. 

Thanks gang! 

• Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod

Yes, we tried several software updates with the cards and it did not matter.  Really strange and wondered how many other people may have the same issue.

I'm happiest with the v4.3 load.  It does what I need and I have to have the overlay!  (I do Radar for a living)

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• NavyCTRCNavyCTRC Member Posts: 303 ✭✭✭
    For the record, I am very happy with new Raymarine MFD (e97) and radar (Quantum).  I do miss the overlay function, but I've found that if I put the map next to the radar it achieves the same thing after a bit of practice.  I just could not justify investing several hundred dollars into old technology just to keep it going.  I sold both of my old ones on Ebay and got more than I thought I would!!  So all said and done, I am out around $1300 for both and I have new equipment that can be upgraded instead of old equipment that has to be nursed along to keep it going. 
    I think that rather than upgrade to 5.16 this weekend I am going to go to v4.3. Taking @LaRea advice on not losing overlay and reading that @Dream_Inn who is a Radar guy is sticking with 4.3 has me convinced. I am loving this thread as the experience is invaluable. @NavyCTRC you bring up something I didn't think of. If overlay is not working due to very slow speed or upgraded software, side by side is a great way to get the best of both the radar and the chart. Great point! I agree that its hard to justify putting much money in to this system but that said I think its a great system for being 10 years old. Thanks again! 

If anybody reading this has compatibility problems with the Mercury Smartcraft Gateway, 5.16 resolves those problems.  Aside from that, most people won't have a strong reason to upgrade past 4.3.  
    con't even get the download to open the zip file on the pc.so mini sd had nothing on it to update the C70.Epic failer for me. :s:'(
    I didn't have success either. I had v4.3 on the mini sd and then the mini sd plugged in to an sd to cf converter from Amazon. No luck on getting c70 to read. Now if you look on RMs site about the c70 software upgrades it says that v5.1 adds the capability to use a CF converter card so that is likely my problem. I am on v2.1 now so I need to upgrade, probably going to try 5.1 next weekend and if I lose overlay than it is what it is. I did try split screen yesterday and really liked that. Open to suggestions...

Yah I'm on 2.12 but will not read my Navionics card to see maps.just bought the boats a couple weeks ago.had Garmin on my 270.way easier just plug and play.radar,transducer and SD card just worked.oh and maps are preloaded.
    Failure for me on the upgrade. Could not upgrade to 4.3 or 5.1. I think the reason is that I was using an Amazon bought sd to cf converter and it's not right. Not sure what my next play will be. 

Coming back to this. I did get the Great Lakes navionics card on eBay this spring and it nicely works. My C70 is still on software version 2.something so now that I can use it as a chart plotter I'm considering buying the stuff to upgrade the software to 4.3 so that I am up to date and keep radar overlay. No need for 5.1. Question is this- what do I gain with 4.3 vs current 2.1 that will make a difference? Considering sticking with 2.1 but @Dream_Inn you mentioned you are happiest with 4.3. What does 4 add? Thanks!

Anyone have experience with software upgrade 4.3 vs 2.1?

My c70 will not do the update,tried with 3 different CF cards and nothing.guess I'll stay with 2.1.
    The raymarine site list all the up grades from the 2's to the 5. I would not want to give up the radar over lay.
    Agree, plan was to go to 4.3 if there was a good reason. Will keep overlay that way. I have 4.3 downloaded to my laptop already but I think it's still available? 2.15 works but if there is a good reason to go to 4.3 I will try again. Did you buy an older 128mb Sandisk cf or were you trying converters? I was going to buy an old cf on eBay like raymarine recommends. Thx 

Yes tried the adapper 1st,no go
    Bought 128 CF on ebay cleared card,no go
    Bought one all ready for update,no go
    Next I'm looking at a A98 for next year should fit in the same cut out.but need new dome too
    Great info, thanks, not going to waste my time or money on it if that didn't work for you. Thanks again 

• mipandmipand Member Posts: 13
    Good Read!  I had the same problem, most likely hardware problem with the CF reader. Tried 3 different CF cards, even the recommended brand CF card.  Wont read update or load maps.  Will be upgrading electronics.