Options

2003 290 Fiesta Vee cooling system

jcc2823jcc2823 Member Posts: 54 ✭✭
I just purchased this boat with twin 5.0 L MPI Mercruisers. The previous owner told me it has a closed cooling system, but I now can't tell if it actually does. The seller said the heat exchangers are on the right-hand bottom side of each engine. I'm really not very mechanical, but I can't find anything on the internet that depicts a closed cooling system on the bottom right side of an engine. Everything I see on google images shows the heat exchanger right up top in front of the engine. 

Does es anyone else have a closed cooling set-up like I'm describing?

thanks! 

Comments

• Options
    frenchshipfrenchship Member Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭
    I know that some 4.3 Mercruiser had the closed cooling system at the bottom.

• Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have the 350 MPI in my 270. It is not or ever a totally closed system like you would think. I have a similar heat exchanger o the top of mine, painted black. You should see it when you open the hatch right on the top. That is the cooling for the internal engine. You have a water pump just like a car that runs the coolant through that exchanger. Then, you have a raw water pump which brings in raw water either from the foot of the motor or a thru hull fitting (or both like mine, have heard of just the foot) that cools the heads and the risers. That is your "closed" cooling system. It's great not running raw water through the motor either fresh or salt!
  • Options
    the raw water also cools the coolant through the heat exchanger as well...
  • Options
    Thanks guys. I will take a picture when I go to boat next time. It's not on the front at top or bottom of engine. It's supposedly on the side of the engine- like under the exhaust manafold and riser. I couldn't really see it when the owner was pointing it out so I'm just concerned I was lied too. :-/

will post pics as soon as I can. 

Thanks again. 
  • Options
    That might be a cool fuel module...don't know a thing about it..
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    You're right, it's the cool fuel module. If there's a closedcooling system I can't find it. :-/. The previous owner did say there were 2 zincs on each engine in the cooling system- one up top in front where the hoses come together and one down low. Anybody know anything about these? I can't find any reference  to them in the engine manual or on mercruisers site. 

Thanks
    Post edited by jcc2823 on
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    email Al, he will answer. Allansmobilemarine@msn.com
  • Options
    I'm glad mine is- was on my list when shopping for ours. Especially buying an older boat. Good luck. I learned I have a horizon motor, did not know the difference.
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    Well that's what I figured...  any opinions on whether closed cooling conversion is worth it on a boat that's been in salt water since 2003? Or conversely any way to 'flush' a motor that stays in the water?
    Post edited by jcc2823 on
  • Options
    probably not a cost effective thing I'm sure but others will chime in...