Options

SideShift bow thruster?

diggin2day1diggin2day1 Member Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭✭
Does anyone have a SideShift bow thruster? Any experience or opinions? I love my FV270 but docking is always the most stressful part of the day. I have looked at traditional(tunnel) bow thruster but I can't justify the price. The SideShift is approx $3k and I can install it myself. I am not going to lie and say that I like the way it looks(awe ****, it's downright ugly!!), but if it works then I can deal with the way it looks. 

Comments

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can hardly see that! Go for it!
  • Options
    skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    I read some reviews of people saying corrosion was a problem...Meybe they fixed it in newer models.

I don't like the look of it.
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hehttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3Z9LodK2V4  

Here is Mike with Power boat TV installing a rear thruster, a DIY project. To me if it works as well as a bow thruster it looks better and no fiber glass work.

Boat Name : 

• Options
    Skennelly- I saw a couple of older reviews that said there was was intrusion through the motor seals and have since been rectified... reviews were from around 2011 on a different forum. 

Randy56- Thanks for the video! 
  • Options
    A thought just accrued to me, this will not work on the single 270. Because, It's location in the center. 
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    Yes Randy... sterndrive would get in the way!! Lol. 
  • Options
    craigswardmtbcraigswardmtb Member Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭
    I have owned one on my 270 and 360. It works great. The smaller size single prop version was perfect on my 270. The dual prop is good on my 360. I agree not the prettiest when on plane or on the hard but sitting at the dock you would never know. The install is straightforward. I do not recommend using the epoxy in method for the mounting bolts. Use locking nuts instead. Way more secure. Aside from that measure 3 times and drill once. It's nerve racking as you drill that first hole. 
    A bow thruster I think gives you way more control than installing a stern thruster. At least for these high free board sails of a bow that Rinkers have. 
  • Options
    J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    I could see the benefit of a bow thruster..but not a stern..

I really think if you stick to a few rules you'll be good. 

1. When turning the wheel from one extreme to the other, have it in Neutral.  
    2. Short bursts of power to get the bow where you want, then smooth low power to back in.

The stronger the current, the easier it is, as long as it isn't perpendicular to your slip! :) same with the wind.  The only thing that's a challenge for me is the STRONG gusts that come out of no where. Having to wait for them to come and go is tough. 
  • Options
    BellevilleMXZBellevilleMXZ Member Posts: 732 ✭✭✭
    Yeah, I have thought of one do......HATE it when its windy.......I probably wait till a wack something then I 'll buy it.....lol
    2005 Rinker 270 FV Volvo Penta 5.7Gi
  • Options
    BellevilleMXZBellevilleMXZ Member Posts: 732 ✭✭✭
    I missed one just before I bought mine with a tunnel thruster in it.....
    2005 Rinker 270 FV Volvo Penta 5.7Gi
  • Options
    The other time that a thruster would have been handy is when I'm at a dock that is north to south and the wind is coming STRONG out of the west...which essentially pins me onto the dock.. the only way that you can get out is to keep your fenders down and move either forward or reverse till you get to the end of it... let either your stern or bow rotate into the slip channel and then goose it. 

Usually I picked going forward.. I prefer stern into the wind because it seems you can make small corrections easier. 
  • Options
    laureniac1laureniac1 Member Posts: 253 ✭✭✭
    Wow!! Love it! What is it called? Side shift? Website? Thanks
  • Options
    Here she the website: https://sideshift.com/bow-thrusters/ss230-bowthruster/
    Most of the places we dock are right off of the bay with little wind protection, no finger piers and just a set of poles between the boats.  
  • Options
    J3ff- I have always stuck to those rules... but sometimes they just don't work!! It's either I get a bow thruster or a FV342... 
  • Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just a thought price is in eros
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's called jet thruster 
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    Any videos of that in action? it must push a TON of water! 
  • Options
    laureniac1laureniac1 Member Posts: 253 ✭✭✭
    Good videos on installation on website thanks 
  • Options
    Goods28Goods28 Member Posts: 17 ✭✭
    edited January 2017
    i have had my sideshift for 5 years and no issues what so ever. Great for backing and tight spots. Wouldn't be without it now. Easy it install. I agree on not using the epoxy method 
    Post edited by Goods28 on
  • Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHXGO5FIoQE
    Here is Mike installing Bow Thruster,  It looks pretty slick, a lot of holes to drill  :o I cannot imagine not putting washers on the inside of the boat.
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    yikes, that's a TON of work.  I'd rather get some more fenders and just bounce off of things :blush:
  • Options
    jme097jme097 Member Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭
    Thats not that bad. If you've ever installed underwater lights or some sort, it's easy. I think drilling holes below the water line freaks people out at first. But if you properly seal the holes with 4200/5200, you have nothing to worry about really. 
    Boat Name: Knot A Worry
    2007 280 Rinker Express 6.2L B3
  • Options
    Last spring when sweede posted his bow truster installation. I did some investigating at that time. having being upside down in my boat allready, could not justified, the time and cost of installing one. So what it take's 3 try's to (hit) the slip.
    just sayin............... 
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    andydandyd Member Posts: 849 ✭✭✭
    I'm just going to keep working on my single engine handling skills, plus get better at using spring lines. I don't want any more maintenance headaches with tiny props under saltwater 24/7, so bow thrusters on my boat are not even on my wish list.

Andy
  • Options
    craigswardmtbcraigswardmtb Member Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    One thing i'll mention about the Sideshift's finish.  The factory coat of Trilux that they put on was garbage on mine.  It was midway through the first season before it completely pealed.  I sanded mine down, cleaned it up after sanding and then put 3 coats of Primocon, and three coats of Pacifica Plus.  Now i throw a new coat of Pacifica Plus on every season and its been great.  This may only be an issue in the salt.  Or maybe i just got someone that didn't appropriately prep and paint the unit.
  • Options
    boatownerboatowner Member Posts: 1

I paid over $5500. for front and rear thrusters from Sideshift, and have had no end of problems with them.  First of all, the salesman never told me that I had to install a second battery to run the thrusters, so the mechanic installed them without.  He called the company before installation and was also never told there had to be a second battery.  After countless problems and several hours spent trying to figure out the problem, the mechanic phoned Sideshift again and was then told there had to be a second battery.  Then I had to spend another $600. for a second battery to be installed.  The owner of Sideshift is very rude and does not care at all that his salesman did not tell us that we needed a second battery.  He just pointed out a statement on a page in the manual that says you need a second battery.  The manual was given to me AFTER I made the purchase, so what help does that do?  I think the company has a right to inform people that they need to spend another $600. on top of the $5,500. to get the unit working.  Shame on them for misleading the public and shame on the owner for not caring.  After installing the second battery, they still do not work properly.  I have to constantly turn off the battery and reset the fuses so the thruster will work.  And you cannot run both at the same time, which they neglect to tell you, if you do, the power source shuts down and they are inoperable.  I highly recommend NOT purchasing this unit, unless you want a ton of headaches.

• Options
    Wow, you can't run both at the same time?? that's almost useless!
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the info
  • Options
    Dude_HimselfDude_Himself Member Posts: 596 ✭✭✭
    Learn to use spring lines and you'll almost never need a thruster.
  • Options
    DanD2DanD2 Member Posts: 847 ✭✭✭
    Having a dedicated battery for a bow thruster goes without saying, I don't think that should be a surprise to anyone. I know when I was researching sideshift I downloaded the instructions and CLEARLY remember the battery requirement. I guess it sucks that you can't use them both at the same time but the most important one is the bow. Practice with just the bow and you should be able to dock like a pro.

@Dude_Himself many many situations where you just can't get a spring line hooked up. Sometimes you're just too far away and the thruster is nice to have.

I have twin screws so in most situations don't need a thruster but I get a lot of crosswinds where I slip and it sure would make things easier.
    No longer a boat owner.....previous boat - 2005 Rinker Fiesta Vee 342