Trailer a Captiva 196 BR with the cover on?

I just bought a Captiva 196 and the dealer told me that the OEM cover can be left on when taking the boat down the road.  This is contrary to everything I have seen in the past.  Anyone have a statement from Rinker on this?

Answers

• Glassguy54Glassguy54 Member Posts: 588 ✭✭✭
    I don't have a trailerable cover for our Captiva 246BR and usually tow it wide open, but last summer we were coming home from Table Rock Lake in Missouri (about a 500 mile trip home) and it was raining heavily. I put on the mooring covers (bow & cockpit) and hoped nothing would come flying off while under way. Nothing did. I don't want to make a habit of it, but it can be done.
  • Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I never trailer with my cover on. IMO, it isn't worth the cost of possible replacement by leaving it on.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • 212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    there is a liability issue involved- some states will nail you for it.  check that first.  

I've towed with the covers on w/o issue.  not on an interstate, though.  i'm thinking a loop/sleeve sewed into the cover than any canvas shop could pull off for minimum charge, along with a nylon strap and/or clip to hardware would eliminate legal concern as well as concern of losing it and the multiple financial concerns that creates. 
  • BulldogBulldog Member Posts: 2
    I tow mine covered at highway speeds with out any issues! 
  • trcsmithtrcsmith Member Posts: 4
    Where did you have that made? It's nice.