Smoke and CO2 Detectors

WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭✭✭
Looking at purchasing smoke and/or carbon monoxide detectors for FV270. Currently none on board when we surveyed the boat . Interestingly, a search on the forum came up zero on smoke detectors. I guess just commons sense that everyone has one?
I was going to go with a combo unit to save some $$$, but thinking about it, I think I'll go separate, that way if one goes off, I can tell which one, and if a unit fails, I can just change the one unit.
Also thinking of a CO2 with digital readout, that way I can monitor to see if anything at all is building up, not just when it triggers.
Good thinking??
"Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270

Best Answers

Answers

• Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You really only need one if you run a genny
  • WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I believe that CO not Co2 is what you mean and CO(carbon monoxide) builds up down low thats why they are mounted lower in houses if my memory is correct
    Heh heh.  You are correct sir! No wonder I failed high school chemistry!
    You really only need one if you run a genny
    True. I wad thinking about a neighboring boat idling or maybe back draft ducking in under the canvas at slow speed. Will do the smoke detector for sure. Thanks guys. 
  • Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod
    yes, if you are around others with generators, it certainly is a good idea to have it.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

Ras. Why Do you use covers in Florida? Come on Man!
    You know? Even the fancy CO digital readout model is about $39 CDN ( I get a deal), so what...about $10 bucks US? (heh heh....actually heading to FLA Monday, exchange sucks right now)
    So for that, I think I'll just throw one in
  • laureniac1laureniac1 Member Posts: 253 ✭✭✭
    I would definitely get 2 separate units. One smoke detector and one CO monitor that way you are covered on both ends. Digital read out is nice to have, but ultimately make sure any detector you purchase is UL ( underwriters lad) tested. The digital is of course more money , but any CO & Smoke dectector is good with a UL listing.
  • rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We bought two detectors, smoke and co at home depot- battery operated, why would you trust them wired in? I'm getting another one for the helm since this last bad experience.
    You can get a dual unit I think with a 10 year battery. 
    Yep. I'm actually in the construction supply business, so very familiar with the units out there. Was interested in what other boaters are doing. I am looking at the 10 year lithium battery options, no hassle with having to remember to change batteries, and it is always recommended that both CO and smoke units be changed out after 10 years anyway as the sensors are not as dependable after that time frame. But on the other hand, the lithium batteries don't keep well in the cold, which it is here 6 months of the year so a regular battery unit makes sense so I can just remove the batteries when the boat is laid up, and separate units as the sensors can sometimes fail, and in a combo unit, have to change out the whole thing.
    Or you can just keep a canary on board LOL
  • J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,054 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have 2.  One in the front and then one attached to the rear wall near where you sleep. 

It is completely false that you only need it if you have a generator.  There are certain areas of the country with weather conditions that can come together to cause problems when OTHER boats are running generators..  We have one island where I am that creates a bowl at low tide... and if people around you are running them on a day with no wind, you're at risk.  Gotta with two because of what was said earlier, gotta have a backup! 

• Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    rasbury said:
    Not true handy - we were running with full enclosure with the screens open on the back and the sides, slow speed and apparently pulling engine exhaust back in the bat. The kids were in the cabin which the windows were closed and mine went off. Everyone need to have them.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You should have a CO detector even if you don't have a genny. If you are cruising at idle or even decide to start up to start your batteries, wind drift can easily fill your cabin with CO. 

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

Thanks once again everyone. Done. Picked up a small smoke and a digital CO detector a few minutes ago. 
  • reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good call be safe.smart man.
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct