sea tow vs boat us?

rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
We have sea tow and time to write another check. Seems when we signed up, they were about the same deal between them. Have used the towing service once, turned out to be a customer of mines kid who was the operator! Anyway, anyone know the advantage of one over the other or is it just coverage area?

Comments

• gackgack Member Posts: 315 ✭✭✭
    I have Boat US towing because it came with my GEICO boat insurance policy.  Not sure one is better than the other, may depend on who has more boats in your area.
  • davidbrooksdavidbrooks Member Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭✭
    I have SeaTow.  Haven't seen anything else here in the Chesapeake.
    It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!
  • reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have had boat US for 5 years now.Been towed in twice both bills would have been over $400.Went with them because my 1st marina was a home base for them in Groton,CT,Was able to make friends with the driver's(captains).As to compare I pay $175. per year I think sea tow is very comparable.The 1st time I called for a tow on the vhf they both answered that made me fell good.The 2nd time I used the app on my phone and they knew where I was and the name, type of boat and color.plus I get a magazine.
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod
    I have SeaTow.  Haven't seen anything else here in the Chesapeake.

Really, you haven't seen BoatUS?  There are 4 stations just in Annapolis/Baltimore area. 

I have BoatUS.   

I'd say go with whichever has best coverage in your area as both have good reputations.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    that's what I figure....I have heard also they have some kind of cooperation between them, at least here in FL, that if one is not in the area, the other one will cover it. That tells me soon there will only be one!

Thanks,
  • 282CaptivaBigRed282CaptivaBigRed Member Posts: 2
    My 2005 Rinker 282 Captiva broke down here is Panama City beach 2 weekends ago, for you guys in MD it was a chilly 74 :) I have Progressive Insurance which has what they call Sign and Glide towing coverage, I called Progressive from off of Shell Island Saturday at 4pm and in less than 30 minutes Progressive had called Sea Tow and the Captain called me saying he was 10 minutes out, he assisted with getting us to our anchor, was patient and treated my family and boat like they were his own. Towed us over an hour to our marina where we put in and even docked us to where we could get the boat onto the trailer all before it got dark. Turns out the starter picked that day off an uninhabited Island to die. If I had to buy towing membership I would gladly pick Sea Tow based on my recent experience.    
  • Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If, if, if I ever need a tow I think they are both good. I have met a lot of the captain's in this area and they are all very knowledgeable guys and great individuals.