Options

Trim Tab Failure

mawdymawdy Member Posts: 8
Hi there, just bought a used 2002 Rinker 270 here in the UK, however, one of the things that came up on Survey was that the Port side Trim Tab failed to operate. Strangely enough, another 270 in my marina has exactly the same problem. Coincidence or has anyone else had the same problem? Before I call out an engineer, if anyone can offer some advice on where to look, it would be greatly appreciated.
Tagged:

Answers

• Options
    J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I also have the same.. Sigh. On my short list to fix next weekend
  • Options
    TrashmanTrashman Member Posts: 432 ✭✭✭
    I replaced both of mine.  They were getting water inside when I inspected them after removal.  Fairly simple job. Just need a tube of good sealant like 3m 5200.   Mine were lenco 101.   Here's a link to eBay.  The listing actually has the measurements to be sure.  

http://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/251417204000 
  • Options
    bella-vitabella-vita Member Posts: 411 ✭✭✭
    I need to replace starboard side only goes half way and quits
    2002 Rinker FV 342
  • Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I replaced both of mine last spring,like trashman said fairly easy fix.
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    06Rinker27006Rinker270 Member Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭
    One went on mine two seasons ago, and the other went this past 2016 season.  No big deal, glad to have them new and working. 
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Options
    diggin2day1diggin2day1 Member Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭✭
    I had same problem and it was the trim tab controller behind dash panel. 
  • Options
    craigswardmtbcraigswardmtb Member Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭
    I replaced an actuator today. As previously mentioned you need a 101 lenco actuator. Simple job. All is well now. 
  • Options
    Craig.. what exactly did you do? Planning on doing it next weekend.. 
  • Options
    Thanks for the input guys, will check the actuator this weekend, otherwise looks like replacements.
  • Options
    @J3ff  1st test the lead in the engine bay for power.You will find the connecter there if no power cut there the wire feeds though the tramsom to the actuator.you got it from there.
  • Options
    @J3ff  1st test the lead in the engine bay for power.You will find the connecter there if no power cut there the wire feeds though the tramsom to the actuator.you got it from there.
    Thanks! Going to be a busy couple of weekends! 
  • Options
    Where exactly is the connector in relation to the stem wall in the engine room... Trying to avoid taking off a ton of zip ties in the cable routing hose.... I've been down there twice today but we'll have to hold off till the shrink wrap can come off...bought a new actuator anyway, might as well keep a spare
  • Options
    I had to open up quite a bit,had about 5' leads that were folded back and forth.just butt connectors on my 2002 270,and had no light up rocker switchesm
  • Options
    TrashmanTrashman Member Posts: 432 ✭✭✭
    J3ff said:
    Where exactly is the connector in relation to the stem wall in the engine room... Trying to avoid taking off a ton of zip ties in the cable routing hose.... I've been down there twice today but we'll have to hold off till the shrink wrap can come off...bought a new actuator anyway, might as well keep a spare
    your gonna need zip ties!   the port actuator cord comes in near the trim pump  I followed the black cord through the harness on the starboard side back to the front area of the poo tank and made my splice there. I used the butt connectors with the heat shrink. easy job if you arent too big of a guy. Im glad i dont have a generator in there. 
  • Options
    craigswardmtbcraigswardmtb Member Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭
    I cut about three feet off my actuator wire then used waterproof butt connectors. Still needed some zip ties to coil the extra wire. Use lots of 4200 where the wire goes thru the transom. 
  • Options
    Mercury2005Mercury2005 Member Posts: 141 ✭✭
    I replaced the entire trim tab system with the new "all in one switch". Ran the new included wires from transom to helm. Works great. After taking the old rams home, each ram worked when attached to 12v. I determined the controller box failed. Coincidentally the control box had been mounted horizontally instead of vertically as required by Lenco.
    When I removed the old rams, I just cut the wire at the ram and removed them from the transom. When I installed the new wires, I used 4200 to seal them at the transom holes.
    Just to see what was inside of a ram, I disassembled one. I will post pics later of what is inside a ram.  I plan to reassemble the one ram, install new wires with new water tight fittings on both rams and test.
    The rams, tabs and wiring will be for sale, so if anyone is interested let me know.
  • Options
    Trim tab ram had a small crack at back, replaced both and Bingo! everything operational! thanks for all your comments!