stalling while docking

pferris84pferris84 Member Posts: 1
I have a 2003 342 Fiesta Vee, 6.2 merc with bravo 3 outdrives. I have had 1 and 1/2 years of the starboard engine stalling at low idle (especially at the worst time...docking!) We have replaced the IAC valve, Cap, wires, complete ignition tune ups on both engines and it continues to get worse. Anyone else have this issue.?

Answers

• raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,455 admin
    Are you shifting when its stalling? Maybe neutral switch needs adjusting.
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    Might want to make sure the backfire flame arrestors are clean and allowing good air flow.

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Adding to ray's comment on the neutral safety switch, if you overshift slightly does the stalling problem go away? On one of my previous boats the shift cables were way over due for replacement and stretched. So I had to over shift a little in and out of neutral or the safety switch would stall me. Spent $1k on a new switch, thermostats and some other things before realizing it needed new cables. Cables solved the stalling while docking issue.
    @Stodge - Is removing and cleaning the arrestors as easy as it looks? Remove, clean with soap and hot water, put back on?
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Use compressed air to blow out the crud from the spark arrestor. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    @Liberty44140 BD is right about blowing them (from the inside) out with air if you have the newer "mesh" type.  The old ones were just aluminium rings and spacers and could tolerate carb cleaner.  2 goals: good air flow, no flammable material in the arrestor.

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• craigswardmtbcraigswardmtb Member Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭
    I have used carb cleaner on my arrestors every season with no issues. That metal mesh seems pretty tough. Is this not recommended?
  • craigswardmtbcraigswardmtb Member Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭
    Jeez, sounds just like an IAC problem. I would start swapping sensors (iac, maf, etc) between engines and see what does the trick. 
  • Goods28Goods28 Member Posts: 17 ✭✭
    Replace idle for air control valve and my stalling was cured. 103 dollar part on a 5.7 merc
  • YoullbefineYoullbefine Member Posts: 12 ✭✭
    Sorry for the late add, but make sure the IAC filter in the throttle body is clean.  It tends to get gummed up.  Either take it out and clean it with Dawns soap or replace it.  It's a $1 part.