Gimbal ring repair/replacement

IanIan Member Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭✭
So the need may have to be done, some play in the port side so best case the upper pin is shot, likely the gimbal ring is also worn. Will be going the Mercruiser repair route - drill the holes in each side - that apparently is not as easy as the other 3rd party method but I'd prefer to go the way the manufacturer puts in their service manuals. I have seen a few options here and in the web in general around around repair services - send in, weld and machine and return all good again - as well as buying a used part versus the horrendously expensive new unit.

Anyone care to offer feedback on who you have used, experiences etc? Feel free to send private message if you don't want to publicly air a bad experience you may have had with a provider.

Thanks.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

Comments

• Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭✭✭
    On my previous boat I had to have the gimbal rings done and I had a mercruiser certified tech do it via the JR Marine method. Worked very well, saved money, no complaints. I think a little wiggle in the drives, especially the non leading side, is normal. Someone else can chime in but I thought a half inch or so was normal. 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• craigswardmtbcraigswardmtb Member Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭
    I have a little play in mine as well but when i replaced my swivel shaft the gimbal ring was actually in decent shape.  So i'm guessing there is just some degree of play in the steering system.  Two Bravo 3 boats and both had a bit of play.  As for repairing the gimbal ring i have heard JR Marine does a nice job.
  • Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When I had my ring replaced on my old 232cc with an Alpha drive, I slid the engine forward to do it. I am not a fan of the drilling in the sides of the transom housing method. It costs a little more, but I like the results better.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • frenchshipfrenchship Member Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭
    The JR marine way was the best for me. Also if you change the pivot pin use the stainless steel one.
  • 99270fv99270fv Member Posts: 94 ✭✭
    I did the JR marine method on mine with the stainless steel pin and would recommend that to anybody thinking about another method.  
  • picturethispicturethis Member Posts: 103 ✭✭
    Bringing this up....  Those that have replaced a Bravo 3 ring ,, Any feedback on using the refirbished rings from JR marine??   I was thinking of going that way instead of new..
    I am a new boater with my first boat,  thats why some of my questions seem dumb
  • Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭✭✭
    On my 310 they did the JR method and rings on both drives and it was awesome. Worked great and affordable. 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

Thanks for the feedback,  it seems like a no brainier if these refurb rings hold up well
  • davidbrooksdavidbrooks Member Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭✭
    So i am gonna toss up an alternative opinion. Couple years ago i hit something underwater going backwards and it broke my gimbal ring.  See below.  In doing the research i found out that the cost of replacing the gimbal ring and then other common sense items i very quickly got close to the cost of just replacing the whole transom assembly.  I have a 2003 and the question came up regarding metal fatigue, improvements since 2003 and what else might be damaged that i am just not seeing yet. I found one TA for $1500 on craigslist.  New still in the box and another for $2400. It does require the engine to be pulled which is about 4 hrs labor to remove and 4 hrs to reinstall.  Just saying it may be worth it in the long run to put in a new TA.
    It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!
    Woah WTF did you hit??
      I will thnk about that pic everytime I m in shallow water .... or put it in reverse  Yeah I had shops that wanted to replace the TA for around $6k  Thought that maybe an overkill

I Forgot to mention that my out drive has play only to right about 3" not the left . 
    The more I research it and having different mechanics look at it im leaning towards the steering arm is rounded out,  The ring moves with the outdrive when moving it left to right and theres no up and down play  .  I wont know forsure until I get it torn down.
  • aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yea, you have to be careful backing up in shallow water with the drive up. When the drive is up, it’s mostly out of the guides on the gimbal ring, nothing to support it left or right. When you hit and the leverage of the drive, the ring snaps easily. Happened to my coworker, he also cracked the transom assembly.
    2008 330EC
  • rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I won't disagree with the whole asy but I have not heard anything about the condition of the boat. What is the cost of the JR method? I also say the asy off Craig's list with an engine pull might be the same cost when the smoke clears and you have new everything including trim pistons. That is what I should have done in hindsight so I would look at this with a sharp pencil. If you can do it yourself it's a no brainier. You could put a 4x4 across the boat with a come along and move the motor back enough without actually pulling it I think.  
    I have no idea what i hit. But i was lucky not to sink. Literally the only thing holding the outdrive on was the bellows. Drives will pop up if you hit something going forward. In reverse there is no give whatsoever. 
    edited May 2020
    What kind of shape was the drive in after that? 
    The boat in question is a 2000  27' Captiva In good to great condition thats worth on a good day $17k with a 454 b3  .  If I had to pull the motor anyway, could see MAYBE changing out the TA but in my situation that just seems like donating to the shops bank account .

edited May 2020
    @picturethis because i hit something they told me that i really should have the drive checked for any stress fractures, busted teeth on gears etc... We knew the TA had to be replaced.  When they looked at the drive it had about 650 hrs on it and determined that it needed a rebuild.  I found out that almost all B3's need a rebuild by 800-900 hrs.  So i sent it off to a great guy in MI to rebuild it and ship back.  He charged $3k plus shipping.  You are right though. As the boats get older we have to always ask that question.  I had a friend just total his boat because the windshield was smashed.  He had a 25 ft 2003 CC and was told the Windshield would be $8k.  Anything other than the exact right one would crack.  So insurance totaled the boat.