Listing to starboard - ballast ideas?

Captain_AwesomeCaptain_Awesome Member Posts: 10
I can't figure out why my 300 FV is listing. It does it even when both fuel tanks are full, fresh water (port side) is full, and waste tank (starboard) is empty. Any ideas on why it's listing?

If it's just a design imbalance, my only options are weight redistribution or ballasting. It is almost level when I stand on the port side (I'm 190 pounds) so I'm thinking it will take about 250 pounds to level it. If I move the two starboard side batteries to port that's about a 160 pound shift but I still need to ballast. Any ideas for semipermanamt or adjustable ballast systems? Maybe add another house battery to port? Maybe gym weight plates? Maybe a bunch of beer under the port settee?

Post edited by Captain_Awesome on

Comments

• Captain_AwesomeCaptain_Awesome Member Posts: 10
    rasbury said:
    Two hot girlfriends?
    Wife likely to veto
  • rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My 270 also has a list and I'm sure it does not take much- first I've heard about your model, lots of discussions about the 270...i just deal with it
  • StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    You're listing to port and you have 35 gallons (292 lbs) of water on the port side?  

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,054 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Where are your batteries and how many and what size?  I'd go get three of the biggest heaviest batteries and put them on the stbd side
  • Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Thats pretty normal. My 310 had a little bit of a list if the water tank was full and waste empty and vice versa. I can even see it on my 342, not as noticeable but some kind of a list when water is full and waste empty and vice versa. Dont add ballast, if you do then when things flop and your waste is full but water empty it will be much worse on the side with ballast. If it really bothers you then try to keep waste/water tanks more even.
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I still like my idea better...
  • MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭✭✭

What other loads are on the boat, like the batteries (which are also absurdly heavy), and what about fridges full of drinks?

If the batteries are on the same side as your full water tank, I'm not suprised it is listing.

One option to fix, without adding weight is to relocate the batteries to the other side.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

Sorry...Listing to starboard, that is the top of the anti foul paint is under water on the starboard and 4 inches out of the water on the port side.

2 batteries on starboard, 1 on port.

The fridges​, head and empty waste tank are starboard - on the side that's lower.

The full water tank, HVAC, and electrical panel are port - on the high side.
  • Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Hmm... any chance your fuel gauges are way off and you have a lot more fuel on one side than the other? 4 in higher on one side than the other is a lot. 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• andydandyd Member Posts: 849 ✭✭✭
    I keep hearing about listing with various models of Rinkers. My FV 250 is level to the water. Am I alone?

Andy
  • J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,054 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No- as long as I have at least half a fresh water tank mine is level too. 
  • andydandyd Member Posts: 849 ✭✭✭
    Oh, good. My fresh water tank is usually half full too and my waste tank is nearly always empty.

Andy
  • Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mine was level, then I added a second group 31 house battery, and now I have a slight list. I am considering relocating one house battery to the starboard side of the boat to help level things out.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • captpaulcaptpaul Member Posts: 41 ✭✭
    I have the same slight list to starboard and seems to be the norm for the 300...tried all tanks full/empty/shift load...it does not cause any adverse handling but just looks a little off when viewed from astern. most don't even notice unless you bring it to their attention.
  • captpaulcaptpaul Member Posts: 41 ✭✭
    do you have a generator? that weight may have been designed into the port side which may account for the slight misbalance without generator.
  • IanIan Member Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭✭
    Thinking the same as captpaul. Slight to stbd on our 310 when loaded right - full water and fuel and empty waste - and no gen which goes on port side that would balance her out. Considered similar to add a little ballast port side. 

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• welliswellis Member Posts: 57 ✭✭
    rasbury said:
    My 270 also has a list and I'm sure it does not take much- first I've heard about your model, lots of discussions about the 270...i just deal with it
    Same here to starboard.  When FW tank is full, she sits perfect.
  • laureniac1laureniac1 Member Posts: 253 ✭✭✭
    Ditto 270 lean! Fill fresh water she is level 
    captpaul said:
    do you have a generator? that weight may have been designed into the port side which may account for the slight misbalance without generator.
    Yes, I've got a generator, but it is amidship.
    captpaul said:
    I have the same slight list to starboard and seems to be the norm for the 300...tried all tanks full/empty/shift load...it does not cause any adverse handling but just looks a little off when viewed from astern. most don't even notice unless you bring it to their attention.
    So you also have the 300 and the same issue... Captain Awesome is also known as Captain Paul. Small world.
    Mine was level, then I added a second group 31 house battery, and now I have a slight list. I am considering relocating one house battery to the starboard side of the boat to help level things out.
    This is the potential solution I am going to try... relocation of batteries and addition of another house battery, especially since I just beefed up the sound system.