Options

New products

frenchshipfrenchship Member Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭
Did you see that new product that will replace flares U.S. Coast guard approved, not yet in Canada.

Comments

• Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    Got one last season.  :)

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Options
    cassiolacassiola Member Posts: 41 ✭✭
  • Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They've been talking about changing the reg's on flares in Canada too, but nothing yet. Wish they'd hurry up. Causes problems with what to do with expired flares. Local fire dept. used to take them and dispose of them, but no longer. Once in a while the local branch of Canadian Power Boat Squadron will put a clinic on and also take old flares, but also then an issue for them to get rid of them. I tried to buy some new flares yesterday, but everything I found at local retailers were already at least a year old, so only three years legal life left. Offered one of the big box stores to take a set off their hands for 3/4 the price, since there was only 3/4 of their useful life left.....they thought I was kidding, but when they realized I wasn't they spun around chasing their tails like they didn't know what to do. Not a kick at the poor kid working the counter, I also work part time in retail in semi-retirement to keep busy, and it's a thankless job sometimes. They were going to check with somebody higher up in the food chain and get back to me maybe today.
    Electronic flares would solve all this. Could still keep a set of conventional as back up, but at least expiry date wouldn't be as big an issue.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    According to the manufacture of the electronic flare they are in contact with the Canadian coast guard since 2015. But still no answer from them.
  • Options
    From what I've seen they usually watch what happens in the US and then follow about 2 years later. For a US boater visiting Canadian waters, they'd still need to carry conventional flares as it now stands. 
  • Options
    The US regulations existed for several years but no manufacturer went through the certification process.  I asked the Coast Guard Auxiliary leadership for a list of products that met the regulation a couple years ago and was told none existed yet.  

@Willhound good to know, I'll make sure I still have some stick flares on board when we go up North in August.

• Options
    Thanks Stodge.  I'm no expert but I believe you need to follow the regs for whatever waters you're in. Far as I know the US and CDN regs are pretty much identical except in this regard. Oh....and no one on board can have open alcohol unless anchored and engines off. A responsible captain wouldn't drink of course but I do know that in many states it's legal for your passengers to enjoy a tipple when under way. Not so here. 
  • Options
    Not a problem, we don't break out anything stronger than pop while underway.

• Options
    In Quebec the la is different.

In Quebec, the fines and penalties for driving a boat while under the influence of alcohol or drugs are the same as those applicable to operating a motor vehicle while under the influence of alcohol or drugs. There is NO difference between drunk driving and drunk boating. However, boaters in Quebec are permitted to carry open alcohol on boats while the boat is underway. Even the boat operator may do so, as long as their BAC level does not exceed the legal limit of 80mg.

For more information about Quebec’s laws for boating with alcohol, contact theSûreté du Québec (SQ).

• Options
    Yes, sorry Frenchship, the open alcohol thing is Ontario. Other provinces may vary. Also sorry for side tracking the thread....
  • Options
    Don't worry about it, I'm ok with this