Well this is gonna hurt

davidbrooksdavidbrooks Member Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭✭
So I guess it was a matter of time.  I was moving my boat to a different slip today and gouged the #$@$%#@ out of the boat next to me with the stainless steel bracket on the swim platform.  We were wrestling with getting the last line out from under someone else's line that had been wrapped over mine.  Wind started blowing and we couldn't keep it off.  Put about a 3 in gouge in his hull.  Now the fun part is that the entire boat is covered in a wrap.   The guy was there and very cool about the whole thing.  I gave him my info and will just have to wait on the quote.  There are a couple of other folks that had asked earlier about fenders for the swim platform.  Most folks just recommended more crew.  I know that isn't always possible so I am thinking about trying to come up with something to use when I have a small crew or am going on by myself. Has anyone ever come up with a good solution for a fender for the swim platform? 

I am really thinking I have to be mostly worried with the corners. I was thinking about buying something like this ( http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?i=87171&from=grid#reviewsInfo) Then putting in two snaps on either side to just snap it onto the swim platform and go around the corners.  

Thoughts?

It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!

Comments

• Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When I tell my story of Easter Sunday you will feel a whole lot better
  • russellhrussellh Member Posts: 155 ✭✭
    Know the feeling too well, I did similar a few years ago. Wind and my inexperience at the time cost me a few £££s. I hit my swim platform entering the lock at my marina as well but fortunately we were the only ones in the lock at the time. Went out and bought a rudder indicator straight after that incident
  • Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod
    David, what stainless steel bracket do you have that is causing the problem?  Do you have a picture?  Sorry to hear about the little incident.  No worries, it happens to us all.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I always TRY to have someone on the boat with a loose fender in hand with a line on it whenever we dock. I sailed on larger boats with captains back in the days and one captain always made sure at least one of us had a loose fender in hand so that if we got close to something we could jam in the fender quickly and not an arm or leg. Always thought that was good practice, has come in handy a few times.
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• davidbrooksdavidbrooks Member Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks all.  I know it happens. @Dream_Inn Here is a pic of what I am referring to. 
    The offending issue is really how the swim ladder and tender davits stick out from the edge of the swim platform.  @Liberty44140 I had the extra tenders....just not the extra crew.  You know it is one thing when you have to unexpectedly put $$$ into your boat.  It is a whole other thing when you have to put it into some one elses and @Handymans342 we are all waiting.  Cough up the story.
    edited April 2017
    No, I will let you suffer for awhile. LOL
  • randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can tell it now, may as well as start a new thread, with pictures.
    Boat Name : 

That boat should have Axis 
  • Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod
    David, where did you say you keep your boat?

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

@Dream_Inn.  I am at Smiths Marina on the Severn River.  The pic is from the PO house.  He had a beautiful home and I was super envious.  All I needed was a spare 1.2M and I could of had the home next to his.  
    edited April 2017
    I know its kinda "ghetto" but you could always put tennis balls over those protrusions. When I am on a mooring ball the fiberglass boat that comes to get us and move us to and from the boat has hit my swim ladder pole sticking out. It scratched up their boat but they dont care. I just worry about it hurting the ladder so I keep a fender out when they pull up. Offends the drivers trying to get a perfect landing but I dont care about their feelings, I care about both boats. So I was thinking I'd have tennis balls on there for when we are moored. 

• MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is that the factory ladder?  Mine definitely didn't stick out like that ... although I had a different model.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

Mine doesn't stick out quite that much (Rinker changed platforms on the 342 in 05 or 06) but it definitely sticks out like this 

• aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,776 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is it worth going through your insurance?
    2008 330EC
    Not sure yet.  I haven't talked to the Insurance company.  I was going to wait until I got the estimate to decide.  I have a feeling in the pit of my stomach that it is going to be bad enough for me to have to go through insurance.  
  • WildboatingWildboating Member Posts: 957 ✭✭✭
    After it happened I bet he yelled out Mother Foca.....LOL
    2003 Rinker 342 Fiesta Vee, 350 Mag MPI, Bravo 3 2.20:1 w/ 22p 4 x4 props

David, if there's no structural damage, I don't think it'll cost much to fix that. When you say a 3" gouge, do you mean length or depth? I'm guessing you're talking length. If so, how deep is it. Did you damage the fibreglass?  If not, gelcoat is really easy to fix, you could do it yourself (although I recommend not to, as it's not your boat and the other guy will probably never be satisfied, so just use his guy).

"Boat + Water = Fun"

If it's a wrap then it will likely need re wrapped 

Yep it definitely damaged the fiberglass.  3 in long and about 3/16 in deep.  Through the gel coat and into multiple colors of fiberglass.  Lets just say if it was my boat i would be nervous even taking it out.  I am also feeling it is going to need to be rewrapped.  
    They can tape up the wrap. That's easy. 
    Cut a hole, fix the gel coat and tape up the flap

Wrap is easy to fix if he's okay with a patch. I don't think he'll like that though. What you can do is get a vinyl decal made to go over that spot (add a graphic layer) and mirror it on the other side ... it will probably be the cheapest option and look the best without having to get it all re-wrapped.

3/16" isn't that deep. Gelcoat is at least 1/8", so you really only scratched the fibreglass.  That can easily be filled with a resin, and gelcoated over. I wouldn't worry about that.  It's more how fussy he's going to be about the wrap ...

"Boat + Water = Fun"