moving generator exhaust from side to transom

Mercury2005Mercury2005 Member Posts: 141 ✭✭
This is a pic of the side of our '06 270 generator exhaust, disgusting!!  Rinker name/stripes were removed to compound, wax and buff then install new name and stripes.
I am thinking of moving the generator exhaust outlet to the transom and just block off the current outlet.
Will survey the available space this week and put together a plan.  Observed the location on the transom will be a little lower than the current outlet so I may need to install a riser to mitigate water back flow.  Will probably be more quiet then it is now.

Comments

• randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought they moved those to the side for safety reasons, if in the rear someone could be fixated swimming or climbing in the boat. Mine does not look like that at all, do you need a tune up? looks like your running rich, or a diesel?   I see why you want to fix it, ugly hard to clean up. lets see what BD has to say. 
    Boat Name : 

• Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

A well as what @randy56 said you would likely also violate marine installation and insurance regulations. Highly do not recommend.

• Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agree, you should start with a mechanic and not move the exhaust 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like your generator is running rich.
    2008 330EC
  • Mercury2005Mercury2005 Member Posts: 141 ✭✭
    Thanks all, I will get the genie tuned up and see what happens
  • summerxsummerx Member Posts: 211 ✭✭✭
    yes, folks have died from the CO getting "trapped" between the swim platform and waterline.  Floating in the water hanging onto the platform, and not realizing they were getting affected.  I would recommend leaving it out the side.
  • raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,455 admin
    Another thing you could do is put a piece of hose in the exhaust. This way the water drains out and not on the side of the boat. About 3 to 4 inches should do the trick.
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod
    You may have a leak around the feed thru.  I'm saying that because you should not have any water touching the sides when flowing out.  Take a look at it while it's running.  Only time mine looks like that is when I'm rafted next to a diesel and he runs his genny! :)

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• craigswardmtbcraigswardmtb Member Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭
    Agree mine spits pretty far and doesn't run down the side of the boat.  Do you have good flow?  Check the impeller, check for leaks, backflush the heat exchanger, and make sure the strainer is clear.  I actually drilled out the holes to be wider on my strainer as they constantly fouled up after a few weeks in the water.
    If you still have bad flow you may need a new seawater pump.
  • Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Adding my .02.  Certainly looks to be running rich, I don't get that kind of mess and I use my genny quite a bit. 

The exhaust thru hull: look for a crack as noted.  I had one crack before (plastic type).  Personally, I would get rid of the exhaust thru-hull with that flapper.

New plugs and clean the spark arrestor too.

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Mercury2005Mercury2005 Member Posts: 141 ✭✭
    Again, thanks to all for the advice. I will troubleshoot, tune up, and hope it improves. Also will leave outlet where it is.
  • Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Adding my .02.  Certainly looks to be running rich, I don't get that kind of mess and I use my genny quite a bit. 

The exhaust thru hull: look for a crack as noted.  I had one crack before (plastic type).  Personally, I would get rid of the exhaust thru-hull with that flapper.

New plugs and clean the spark arrestor too.

I don't even get that with a diesel gen