Options

Replacing Blower Hoses

WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭✭✭
Blower hoses are ripped in a couple of spots so want to replace them.
This thread https://rinkerboats.vanillaforums.com/discussion/5834/fv-312-blower-vent-hose
shows both intake and exhaust hoses. Mine has none on the intake side, just the covers up top. Should there be?
Also, I'm thinking of using 4" "Big O" pipe (weeping tile). Still flexible but a lot tougher than the flimsy plastic stuff. Any reason why I can't or shouldn't?
"Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)

Comments

• Options
    frenchshipfrenchship Member Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,555 mod
    Any time you need to temporarily move the hose to reach something in the engine room, I think a semi-rigid hose such as drainage tile would be a pain.  With the flimsy plastic stuff, you can just pull it out of the way.
  • Options
    That's a good point LaRea. Can't recall much over in that area, but I'll take another look. Anybody have an opinion on hoses attached to the intake side?
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There should be a hose running from the vent to the bottom of the bilge for an intake.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    Thanks Cableguy Greg. Just the one? Leave the other vent for just general air? (I have two in each side)
  • Options
    J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The goal of the hoses is to remove air from the lowest part of the bilge possible... so one hose should go to one side of the bottom of the bilge and the other should be on the other side of the bilge... gets the fumes out faster or something. 
  • Options
    J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    zaverin1zaverin1 Member Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Go to lowes or Home Depot and buy flex dryer hoses not the regid kin but soft flex.
    they dont burn and save you a ton $
    One hose goes to blower and then to a vent
    then same side hose goes to forward of the engine
    two hoses on opposite side will be routed down transom and the other one will be forward again
  • Options
    skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    @zaverin1 - just a suggestion to your idea which I did.  Got the vent at Menards but noticed the opening would suck against the transom when I turned the blower on.  My fix was to put a 4" pvc collar at the end that gives it rigidity and keeps it open.  Used a 4" clamp to secure it
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,332 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I did this last summer but i read that you should not use dryer hose due to flame rating or something like that so I found 4" bilge blower hose online pretty inexpensively 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    If I went that route (dryer vent) I'd use the aluminized version, not vinyl. In fact, in Canada anyway, the vinyl vent no longer meets code for dryers or heating. Has to be aluminum. As far as a boat though, I suppose it doesn't really matter. If there's a fire in the engine compartment the style of vent isn't likely to change anything.
  • Options
    Alluminized hoses will not burn
    i tested it personally and they meet government rating. That's why you can use them on a dryer
    i did use clamps and zip ties.

• Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,332 ✭✭✭✭✭
    http://www.discountmarinesupplies.com/product.cgi?product=138431&group=112933

That is what I used, I think all in it was less than $40
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    Yep that's standard rubberized hoses that either way will last 10 plus seasons lol