Vacuflush horror stories

craigswardmtbcraigswardmtb Member Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭
I digress.  An awesome weekend turns sh*#ty...
Not sure if most people are like me in this regard, but when people come aboard my boat everyone gets the toilet speech.  Nothing but waste goes down the toilet (and I proceed to rattle off all the products that are not acceptable waste).  And If you can hold numero dos than do that, if not no wet wipes.  NO wet wipes.  NO WET WIPES!  NOOO WET WIPES!!!
This weekend we raft up to my uncle and cousin. And what does my 30 year old cousin and life long boater do, goes numero dos and clogs the head with wet wipes among other nastiness. And doesn't tell me. After cussing a while I break out the latex gloves and get elbow deep. I got it unclogged but not before getting my hand stuck in the toilet for about 5 minutes and creating a hole in the latex thus causing more cussing. 
What do you all do to promote proper boat toilet etiquette?  Anyone have a magical tool the works to unclog these vacuflush heads without getting elbow deep?

Comments

• zaverin1zaverin1 Member Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    Your cousin would be my tool of choice
  • rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,455 admin
    Don't invite them on the boat anymore............
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • zaverin1zaverin1 Member Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Years ago
    my buddy was on his boat near my marina
    i didn't even plan on coming out that day. It was tinkering day lol
    at that time he had a 22 cuddy with a portable 
    so long story short I make my way
    anchor and he had few female friends with him 
    one climbs on the boat and begins to chat
    then says do you have a bathroom 
    i say yes lol
    she said oh I just need the mirror 
    i am like ok
    jump in the water for few beers then went back to the marina and few summer days later let's just say walked into a death chamber called her number 2 lol
  • Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Admiral always handled the toilet etiquette talk with guests. She showed them the marine toilet paper, how to raise the water level in the toilet if planning on making a "solid" deposit, showed the females the paper bags (purchased at a pharmacy) marked "for feminine hygiene product disposal" and a pair bright yellow of rubber gloves - for those who didn't pay attention to her requests. We never had a problem in 4 years of boating with our vacuflush heads and they got used a LOT.

• Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just get a grinder toilet. Stop using that vaccu junk
  • craigswardmtbcraigswardmtb Member Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭
    zaverin1 said:
    Your cousin would be my tool of choice
    I agree...  Problem is he left before I discovered the injustice otherwise he certainly would have been the tool. 
  • Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,551 mod
    We have a plaque in our bathroom that pretty much says, if you haven't eaten it first, it does not go in our head.  (yes, that means TP as well...cause I like the good soft stuff).  Anyone new to our boat always gets the story before they even come close to using the head.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,054 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Number 2's forbidden on this boat, unless you're a kid and it's an emergency. 
  • reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear you had a crappie time.I also give the speech of how to use that special bowl.may be I'll remove the wet wipe firm the bathroom. The only reason we left is to pump out,the grandkids filled us up.avondale closes at 5 got there at 510 so went back to marnia.
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • frodo13056frodo13056 Member Posts: 212 ✭✭✭
    Believe it or not, but I have seen (twice now) where a good old fashion plunger has pushed blockage past the duckbill valves. 
    1) Turn off head vacuum / water.
    2) Open head ball valve (that's the one that rotates at the bottom of the bowl)
    3) A few pushes on the plunger (very slowly)
    4) Restart vacuum pump / water
    5) Test and repeat if needed.
    We also give the "speech" and also have placards in the head for proper use. I've been lucky and have never had an issue with clogs on my boat but I do keep a plunger handy since I've seen it work before.

• Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @frodo13056, great advice. Of the many hundreds of times we flushed solids down the two vacuflush toilets we had we only had one blockage and two more flushes cleared that. Use marine toilet paper (save money at an RV store). We even used the toilets when slipped at a marina. IMO and the Admiral's what's the point of having the convenience of an on board toilet if you don't use it? One hint is to use the toilet water control (all vacuflush controls should have the function) to add water to the bowl prior to a solid flush - if you are going for a world record - in which case all should be well. IMO if you have a decent toilet use it proudly! :-)
  • aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,775 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Michael T said:
    @frodo13056, great advice. Of the many hundreds of times we flushed solids down the two vacuflush toilets we had we only had one blockage and two more flushes cleared that. Use marine toilet paper (save money at an RV store). We even used the toilets when slipped at a marina. IMO and the Admiral's what's the point of having the convenience of an on board toilet if you don't use it? One hint is to use the toilet water control (all vacuflush controls should have the function) to add water to the bowl prior to a solid flush - if you are going for a world record - in which case all should be well. IMO if you have a decent toilet use it proudly! :-)
    Wal-Mart carries the marine/RV toilet paper at a great price also.
    2008 330EC
  • TrashmanTrashman Member Posts: 432 ✭✭✭
    ...I would just set the boat on fire