areas in the transom that can leak

rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
For those that have followed I'm in the process of completing a bellows replacement with the goal of solving a leak. While the bellows was due it does not appear to be my source. I don't think from where I saw the water trickle it is the transom asy itself not sealing and leaking as I have read others have dealt with but don't have the experience to rule that out. I wish I could nail down when the leak really started. Have had the boat about 3 years now and the first boat like this we have had. As best as I can recall when we would go out for the day we would be dry. If we stayed out and used the a/c we would start to have some water- and that a/c here in FL can generate some water. At some point the water really started to build up. I had a couple events during this time- a big one was a leak in the waste tank that may have been going on for some time. I discovered that as a leak source after a coupler repair and thought it was resolved but still had the problem. I ran the boat at home but could find no leak, at least at the rpm I could run at home. I explored a leaking drain plug and ruled that out. And then finally with the boat sitting in the water was able to spot a pretty good trickle if water from what appears to be within the transom asy as opposed to say the bottom edge like a transom asy leak. When the coupler was repaired, what would have been unhooked that perhaps not hooked back up tight that could leak? It is higher than the exhaust but I could not see the source- don't where the spots could be back there to check. I am suspecting where the water pickup tube connects on the inside transom connection a possibility as I assume at the least that hose had to come apart to pull the motor - where else back there do i need to get at and check? It dies leak while the boat is not running, can't really tell if it is any worse while running.

Comments

• aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,775 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If the bellows weren't sealed/seated properly, it could leak at that point.
    2008 330EC
  • Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had a leak this past spring. Turned out the spedo hose was not plugged in to the barb on the transom assy. I dont have a spedo on the dash so I never thought about it. Tech found it and capped it. 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes @aero3113, that is a possibility I have considered.  The U joint bellows seemed to be on there pretty good- the shift bellows was also glued in there pretty good- the shift bellows looked like it may have had some water going through it but I don't have s sense of where I saw it dripping to the out side components. Not that I have torn everything apart I think I would have a better idea of where it was coming. I think it is something leaking inside but not sure. I will be getting it back together and in the water and perhaps the problem solved- just now looking for some guidance of where it could be leaking and where to look if not. I don't think it is a hose, certainly not one of the main ones but it is tuff to get at anything down there to see. MY speedo was for sure hooked up but I will look again at that more carefully as it has to go through the transom also, thanks for the tip @liberty44140
  • skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Have you ruled out the ever so popular steering seal leak?  I'm dealing with that right now and my bilge goes off maybe every 2 days...it's a slow leak.
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
    No...i will see if I can can find that. Did not realize there was a seal on that?
    Yes...and it's a PITA to replace.  It requires pulling the engine to gain access or there is a 3rd party kit for cutting into the drive housing from the outside of the boat.  This is their site and youtube video's.  http://jrmarine.com/videos.htm

I had it replaced last season and it's still leaking....my shop is going to look at it at the end of this season. :(
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • IanIan Member Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭✭
    Where the steering arm goes from your engine room into your transom housing look for a dribble. If none, good but feel in there for dampness - or stuff in some paper towel. 

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

@icoultha - good advice with the paper towel.  For me it's visibly wet and rusty water look.
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • rinker270nbrinker270nb Member Posts: 207 ✭✭✭
    I have a slow drip at the transom plate- '99 270.  Could see it dripping in the bilge and finally found the cause with my phone's camera at the top of the transom plate.  It's at the bolt, I may try to get a socket on it or put something on it to seal it.  It's slow, doesn't worry me.  I can send you a link to the video from my phone if you want it...

I do get a lot of rain water, most likely from my rub rail.  Guessing you determined it's lake water and not another source?
  • Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,550 mod
    Well, I've done the whole replace transom assemblies fun.  You'd be surprised how many different places it can leak or come thru and that be the problem.  For me, replacing the entire transom assembly got rid of any threat of leaks for a long while. Hopefully it's not that (I know you're tight on budget), but not sure I'd want the steering arm one either.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

So, I have seen the cutting of the outer transom ring ( I guess) to get the gimbal ring out by disconnecting the steering pin at the top and also the pin at the bottom- did not realize there was a special seal there to service. I think I would go that route as that is something I can do. So it sounds like it is either that, or the pick up water tube gasket/seal set up, or perhaps where the speedo tube comes through. Other than the u joint bellows or the shift cable bellows areas, that's the whole world of where it can leak from the transom? It is so hard to see anything back there. I mentioned in another post that I had either removed the hose or took apart the piece the hose goes to on the bilge side of the transom for the water pickup looking for an obstruction for an over heating problem-it does not appear to be loose but who knows, maybe I dropped the gasket out of it. So there is nothing else they would have un hooked to do the coupler when they pulled the motor other than I guess the pick up water tube where it is attached? Maybe they dropped the gasket out of it.....it really seems to have started then as best I can recall but was also dealing with the black water tank so I'm just not really sure.

I will get it put back together and see where I'm at, maybe the u joint seal or the shift cable seal was not good but I don't think so....

Thanks all, will update the bellows thread when I get there, hopefully by the weekend but depends on how work and honey do's go....I also have the tool to check the engine alignment, I hope that is good from just getting the coupler done or I'm sunk for this weekend, that's for sure. That will be another thread!

• IanIan Member Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭✭
    Have a look at PDF page 314, item number 4. Hidden gem that you don't pick up on if you just look at the gimbal ring/swivel pin pages. Luckily when I went through this - not being a mechanic I read and looked a LOT and asked my boat mechanic - I saw this and got another and put it in when I did the pin.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

edited June 2017
    Where the heII is page 314....LOL

Sorry brain fart.
    Post edited by raybo3 on
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
    Thanks- I will take a look at this tonight!