Planning on a 6 hour boat trip this summer - FV 270 - any tips?

Comments

• J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,054 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like you are prepared.  Nothing left but to get after it!  Sounds like a fun trip.  Make sure you know how to access your coordinates.   I am always shocked by how many people have no idea.
    They are right on the screen on the vhf :) 

I do have to figure out how to enable the DSC/program it though, I assume the button doesn't just work right out of the box.  

• randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @J3ff I just use 2 mpg for gas figuring on 270. 
    Boat Name : 

• WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭✭✭
    J3ff said:

I do have to figure out how to enable the DSC/program it though, I assume the button doesn't just work right out of the box.  

@J3ff do some research. It's not as simple as "programming" a DSC button. You must apply for a M.M.S.I. (Marine Mobile Service Identifier). Info here:
    https://www.boatus.com/mmsi/
    When you register they will get your vessel information, contact info, emergency contacts etc. You will then program this number into the radio. Do not screw it up, most radios only allow the number to be programmed once, and if it needs to be changed the radio has to go back to the manufacturer.
    To obtain an MMSI in Canada you need to have a Marine Restricted Operator's License (VHF License), I don't know if there's a similar rule in the US or not.
    And once programmed, treat the DSC button like a loaded gun. Once you hit and hold that button for a few seconds it will send a digital distress signal along with your coordinates to the USCG and any DSC equipped radios within range. They will not cease looking for you until found. There is usually a cancel procedure on the radio....so learn it. And once you cancel, be sure to follow up with a radio call to USCG explaining that it was a mistake, but again, be careful, they don't take it likely.

All that being said, don't let it scare you away. I would simply not contemplate a journey like you are planning without having DSC set up. In a fast paced emergency like a fire or sinking it can save your life.

True story- when researching a DSC radio at West Marine a few years ago, the salesman was laughing about the fact that "the radio is waterproof rated to operate up to 30 minutes under 4 feet of water...but who would be talking under 4 feet of water?" Huh huh huh.
    I looked at him like he had two heads and patiently explained that if the boat is sinking and you hit the DSC button, the whole point is that it will continue to transmit. He didn't have a clue.......
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270
  • skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    You could also go down the route of renting an EPIRB as I have done for long trips.  They can get it to you in 2 days and all the setup is done for you.  $65 for a week rental from boatus + shipping.  Unit touches water or you trigger it manually and the world comes looking for you.
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
    Willhound said:
    J3ff said:

@J3ff do some research. It's not as simple as "programming" a DSC button. You must apply for a M.M.S.I. (Marine Mobile Service Identifier). Info here:
    https://www.boatus.com/mmsi/
    When you register they will get your vessel information, contact info, emergency contacts etc. You will then program this number into the radio. Do not screw it up, most radios only allow the number to be programmed once, and if it needs to be changed the radio has to go back to the manufacturer.
    To obtain an MMSI in Canada you need to have a Marine Restricted Operator's License (VHF License), I don't know if there's a similar rule in the US or not.
    And once programmed, treat the DSC button like a loaded gun. Once you hit and hold that button for a few seconds it will send a digital distress signal along with your coordinates to the USCG and any DSC equipped radios within range. They will not cease looking for you until found. There is usually a cancel procedure on the radio....so learn it. And once you cancel, be sure to follow up with a radio call to USCG explaining that it was a mistake, but again, be careful, they don't take it likely.

All that being said, don't let it scare you away. I would simply not contemplate a journey like you are planning without having DSC set up. In a fast paced emergency like a fire or sinking it can save your life.

True story- when researching a DSC radio at West Marine a few years ago, the salesman was laughing about the fact that "the radio is waterproof rated to operate up to 30 minutes under 4 feet of water...but who would be talking under 4 feet of water?" Huh huh huh.
    I looked at him like he had two heads and patiently explained that if the boat is sinking and you hit the DSC button, the whole point is that it will continue to transmit. He didn't have a clue.......
    Got the MMSI number in about 10 mins... but as you said, someone had already entered theirs into the radio!! ARGGG, now it has to go in to get fixed.. for now I'm just going to keep it as the trip is coming up soon, sure when I push the button they'll have the wrong boat and contact info, but when they see a guy on a tube waving his arms, that probably wont matter too much! 
  • WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, one problem with used VHF gear. Check the instructions, there might be a way. But usually hard written into the radio. But as you point out, you hit the button and they'll come.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270
  • nick92675nick92675 Member Posts: 41 ✭✭
    we're on similar warpaths, i've been beefing up my stuff for a longer haul this weekend. (also just upgraded to DSC radio.)

skennley has a great idea about renting the epirb.  i went back and forth about that, and a PLB.  i ended up getting this:  https://www.amazon.com/ACR-PLB-375-ResQLink-Buoyant-Personal/dp/B006JXY0CQ

main difference is it's tied to an individual and not the boat, so can also be used if say hiking.  and not water triggered.   if i have to ditch the ship, it can velcro to the life jacket and keep transmitting even if the boat goes down.
  • nick92675nick92675 Member Posts: 41 ✭✭
    I just found this too - going to use for my upcoming trip https://floatplanregistry.com
  • skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    @nick92675 - that's what I did a personal PLB that my wife clipped to her vest and we always wear the auto inflatable life vests.
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
    Will add that to my ditch bag for sure. 250 bucks for 5 years of protection? seems like a deal !
  • Dude_HimselfDude_Himself Member Posts: 596 ✭✭✭
    Get a PLB and register it! I have a PLB, registered, with all my vehicle info, boat info, paramotor/wing info, immediate family names, sex, and ages, and a link to a Google Photos with pictures of everything too. PLB links to satellites, transmits your GPS coordinates repeatedly until deactivated, and has a VHF homing beacon as well. Good think to have.

Here's a cool CG PPT that I found looking into this last year when preparing for the Bahamas crossing: https://www.usna.edu/Sailing/documents/lectures/SafetyatSea/2012/Sat 1115 USCG Search and Rescue.pdf
    edited July 2017
    Well, as things tend to happen, looks like the friend with a dock in Newport forgot about a family event that she has to attend.  Where would you guys stay in Newport?  Probably arrive about 11am, looking for somewhere to dock at during lunch, either get a mooring or just drop an anchor somewhere nice for the rest of the day/night.. then to cuttyhunk the next morning. 

Edit: Could also not go to newport, stopping in somewhere like block island instead..looks like it'll be 150 for the night there, wonder if there's anywhere to just drop an anchor..  
  • reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @luvinlife should have some suggestions.There are 1100 morings in the harbor. If your the middle of week it should be easy and taxi service to get to shore.
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • craigswardmtbcraigswardmtb Member Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    I would go to BI.  I go to Newport in the winter....  I guess it would be fun in the summer too, its just not my cup of tea...
    I'll actually be in BI next weekend as well.  We are staying at Paynes.
    There is also a large anchorage, which is what we typically do.  Its on the eastern side of the harbor.  We typically get as close to dinghy beach as depths will allow.  Good holding for the most part in there, although there is sea grass in areas, particularly north of breezy point.
    Or grab a mooring for $45 a night.  There are lots of moorings, all first come first serve and controlled by the harbormaster.  He'll find you to get his money.
    If you don't have a dinghy they do have a shuttle that runs until late.  Its $4 a person.
    Thanks, that sounds like the plan now... Don't need a mooring.. 
  • LaReaLaRea Member Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know I'm late to this discussion ... the US Coast Guard has a cell phone app that includes a nice float plan feature.  You can send the float plan to anybody (it doesn't go to the USCG).  Once you set it up the first time, it only takes a couple minutes to file a float plan.  

@J3ff - sounds like a great adventure.  Heed the advice from @Black_Diamond -- be flexible with your schedule.  Many bad decisions have been made in the name of staying on schedule.
    @J3ff the suggestion from @craigswardmtb is a good one because to get to the harbor in Newport is about ten miles off your course.Block Island is a much better pit stop.
    edited July 2017
    Sitting at Block Island right now..on a mooring..

1. Nobody seems to move fast here... the gas dock guy showed up 15 mins after I pulled up and then I never saw him again.. left the cash in his drawer.. 
    2. Wind rolled in after refueling... so glad I made it in before this, can't imagine what it is right now out there!
    3. Had to brave an incoming tide while going through the Race... top speed was 25mph through there.. was crossing my fingers that it wasn't going to cause a problem with the drive.. but then again if I had waited to go with the tide, it would be having to deal with this storm.

Cuttyhunk tomorrow if anyone's around!

saw this right before entering the race..

• diggin2day1diggin2day1 Member Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭✭
    Take a walk to Poor Mans Pub and get some junk fries and a cold beer.... I can't wait, 4 weeks away!!
    Thunderstorms rolling through, just going to hang on the boat I guess.. got to see the gas dock, oh well, will go in search of bacon/eggs in the morning

• aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @J3ff you should see if that sub will surface while your floating above it. This way you can clean your hull and drives without getting wet!!
    2008 330EC
  • rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was on about a 6 hour trip after we first got our boat on the st johns river...we were on lake George which is also training for the navy bombers....we were heading across the lake and suddenly, what seemed to me about 50 feet above the deck, this jet comes in on a strafing run- coolest thing ever! He did that 3 times and then wagged his wings and flew off....sure was hoping he did not have a finger on the wrong button!
  • craigswardmtbcraigswardmtb Member Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭
    Too bad I'll miss ya. I'll be there around 3. In the morning Aldos roams the harbor with all kinds of pastries, donuts, bagels, breakfast sandwiches, and coffee. Listen for them yelling "Adiamo" and flag them down or you can call them on 71. If you need water or ice, Water Boy boat is on 71 as well. Pump out is 73. 
    The best breakfast on the island is either Ernies which is in old harbor, or the airport diner. 
    If the rain stops go check out Mahogany Shoals bar at Paynes Dock.  I'm sure they'll have an entertaining old salt stringing away. Champlins has a dockside bar as well. 
  • Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm a little late here but after some research we also bought that ACR PLb in the link above in prep for our long trip coming up. After the $50 rebate it nets to around $200. Admiral really wanted the piece of mind. 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can always rent a satellite phone as well. Its cheaper than you think. 
    edited July 2017
    Too bad I'll miss ya. I'll be there around 3. In the morning Aldos roams the harbor with all kinds of pastries, donuts, bagels, breakfast sandwiches, and coffee. Listen for them yelling "Adiamo" and flag them down or you can call them on 71. If you need water or ice, Water Boy boat is on 71 as well. Pump out is 73. 
    The best breakfast on the island is either Ernies which is in old harbor, or the airport diner. 
    If the rain stops go check out Mahogany Shoals bar at Paynes Dock.  I'm sure they'll have an entertaining old salt stringing away. Champlins has a dockside bar as well. 
    Weather not looking good for the run to CuttyHunk... sigh. Wanted to leave around 9/10.. looks like we'll be in the middle of heavy rain! 

ps. I just started hearing that yelling, wondering what was going on.. that answers that ha ha!
    I guess you will enjoy the island.The water looked pretty good when you went by the sub.
    Wonder how much they make... 
    The admiral had surgery last Friday so no boat for 2 weeks or I would meet you guys out there. Maybe on the way back. Stay safe.
  • diggin2day1diggin2day1 Member Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭✭
    I love hearing "ANDIAMO" In the morning at Block!!! That's some good coffee and muffins right there.