Options

Fuel pump

aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,797 ✭✭✭✭✭
My 2001 242 is new to me, we bought it last year and had a great season. There is a issue that I have with the fuel pump, if I turn the key to the on position the pump constantly runs ( am I right that this is not supposed to happen?) The pump doesn't run in the accessory position and starts normal.
2008 330EC

Comments

• Options
    Capt_SteveCapt_Steve Member Posts: 281 admin
    Glad to have you here, aero...you'll probably get a solution before I can get an answer from Rinker Support tomorrow, but I'm sending them an email with your issue.
  • Options
    Great, thank you!
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    Capt_SteveCapt_Steve Member Posts: 281 admin
    Aero...here's the response from Rinker Engineering...

That sounds exactly correct.  The “On” position is the “engine run” position and the fuel pump is necessary to make the engine run.  When the key is in the “On” position, the fuel pump, ECM and any other engine support equipment are energized and consuming battery resource.  It’s a good idea to leave the key “Off” or in the “Accessory” position unless you want the engine running.
  • Options
    Thank you for the reply! I could be wrong but thought the fuel pump was supposed to run only when the engine was cranking and oil pressure was present?
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    BabyboomerBabyboomer Member Posts: 918 mod
    aero3113 said:
    Thank you for the reply! I could be wrong but thought the fuel pump was supposed to run only when the engine was cranking and oil pressure was present?
    As far as i know, the fuel pump runs constantly, excess pressure is relieved by simply dumping it back into the tank.

Slip 866 Sunset Marina Byrdstown Tn
  • Options
    TikiHut2TikiHut2 Member Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    On my '04 Merc 350 MPI when the key is turned to the 1st "on" position to the rt I'll hear the warning alarms test themselves briefly and I can hear what I think is the fuel pump pressurizing the system for about 2sec. I wait a few sec longer making sure the alarms stop, indicating they've tested properly and that the fuel pumps up to pressure, stops, and then turn the key to "start" position.

Steve and the Rinker/Merc guys might know better but if the pump continues to run at the "on" position before the key is turned to "start" it may not be holding pressure like it should. I believe my FI pump on my car engine only runs on demand as the pressure lowers after the engine starts.

Just like your car, I don't leave the key in the "on" position if I'm tailgating with my sound system on for instance. You're right that the engine won't be energized in the Acc position and the pump can't run in that position.

Glad you're enjoying your boat and have a great season, Mike

Here's a couple of youtube links that might be helpful re Fuel pumps for FI engines and how to test them:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=QbzEeWy1b3o#t=67s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=aITQclp7zIE#t=42s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=ia0xFQH5kTg#t=7s
    2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
    Regular weekender, Trailer stored indoors, M/V TikiHut, Sarasota, Fl
  • Options
    BruceBruce Member Posts: 167 ✭✭

I have been an automotive mechanic for 30 years. On most G.M. fuel injected vehicles the PCM (computer) will energize the pump for aprox 2 seconds when the key is first turned to the on position. Once the computer sees oil pressure, the pump runs constantly.  Although boats may be wired differently, and the earlier answer you received may be correct. That being said, I would turn your key to the on position with the engine off and see if you are showing oil pressure on your gauge, if so replace the oil pressure sending. Just my 2 cents worth. Next time I get in my boat I'll see if my pump runs all the time with the engine off.

Hope this helps.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

2004 250 FV 
  • Options
    YouTube won't run in Firefox which I have been using to get around the slow typing had to go to Chrome or IE to watch.

• Options
    Thanks for the videos. I don't think it makes any difference but thought I would let you guys know that my engine has a carb and is not EFI.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    YouTube won't run in Firefox which I have been using to get around the slow typing had to go to Chrome or IE to watch.
    Firefox works for me
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    aero3113 said:
    Firefox works for me
    Says I need real player which I have no big deal works on my other browsers

• Options
    TikiHut2TikiHut2 Member Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2013
    Bruce, Thanks for the clarifier and I humbly concede to the GM mech w/30yrs experience. I can see how the pump'd run constantly after there's running oil pressure, but as you said, I too thought it pressurized the system and paused until the key advanced to "start".

Glad to have you on the forum sharing your experience. My 2003 Suburban 2500 tow mule will be needing your insight too I'm sure. It wouldn't make it far if it totally depended on mine.
    :)>-

Boomer, Those links were straight from youtube so it must be an internal setting for your browser that wants to use RP....I think. Hey, I'm using FF too, it solved the typing issue. The site is coming together.
    =D>
    2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
    Regular weekender, Trailer stored indoors, M/V TikiHut, Sarasota, Fl
  • Options
    BruceBruce Member Posts: 167 ✭✭

Sorry my mistake, I thought you had a throttle body fuel injected engine. And I assumed it is a G.M. engine, (5.0L, 5.7L, or 7.4L). I'm surprised that a carbed engine would have an electric fuel pump in the first place. All the factory equipped carbed engines I have seen, whether it be in a marine application or automotive, have all used mechanical fuel pumps, but yours is a newer year model than what we typically see with carbs so it may be different .  Could it be that someone added an electric pump?  Either way, I don't see why it would run constantly, without a return line (as most carbs do not have) the pump should shut off as soon as the carburetor bowl is full and the needle and seat close, and the come in spurts as the engine is running.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Hope this helps,

Bruce

2004 250 FV 
  • Options
    TsquareTsquare Member Posts: 47 ✭✭
    The Vortec GM blocks which are carbureted have an electric fuel pump.  The pump is only activated when oil pressure is present.  This is a safety hazord and not CG approved if the pump is running constantly.  Sounds like someone miswired the pressure sending unit.  Please have this checked asap.  Note, the pump either EFI or carb is NOT supposed to run constantly while the engine is not running with key on.  Hope this helps.  Al
    Undercover,  Alswagg
  • Options
    Thanks for the reply Tsquare, that's how I thought it should work.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    TsquareTsquare Member Posts: 47 ✭✭
    I hope you can rewire properly  good luck  Al
    Undercover,  Alswagg