Just got back from the Rinker factory

The swim platform on our '06 270 was full of spider cracks we assume from a previous owner's lack of docking skills.
We decided to purchase a new platform from Rinker and ordered one the beginning of May and it was completed mid June.  
Instead of shipping I decided to fly out, rent a u-haul and drive it back.
Rinker was closed the week of the 4th of July so I made arrangements to arrive on Monday 7/10.   When I got there the platform as done, BUT in the wrong color, beige instead of white.  Glad they did not ship it.
Anyway they determined there was a misunderstanding between parts and manufacturing as to the color.  
After some research they located the correct color of my boat and believe it or not, produced a new platform to be ready the next day around noon. This caused me to have to stay another night but hey these guys jumped right in and made a new platform within 24 hours, I was quite impressed.
When complete they installed new rub rail and backing, new ladder door and something new, covers for the davit locations, and provided all the hardware required to install the platform.
While I was there I got a tour of the facility in all areas by Steve Wheatley (manufacturing), Jeff Richardson (parts), Rod Mast (design engineering).  Also had a chance to meet Kim Slocum and chatted a while with him.
I met a lot of great people while there and was able to get answers to some of my questions about my 270.
Here a a few pics of my visit, the large boat is a new 37', I was able to go inside and look around, very cool. Other boat is just getting it's deck. Other pics are the platform of the wrong color. So if anyone needs a beige platform for a 270 here is your chance.

Comments

• raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,455 admin
    Awesome pictures....... Thanks for posting.
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • LaReaLaRea Member Posts: 7,503 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Covers for the davit locations - interesting.  I've never seen that on any boat.  I wonder if that's a Rinker innovation.
  • Mercury2005Mercury2005 Member Posts: 141 ✭✭
    Yes covers.
    When they discovered the platform was the wrong color, the design engineer, Rod Mast came out and looked at it. He mentioned there were covers for the davit cutouts but they had never been made available.  So I asked if they could provide a pair for me and they said OK. They also installed the ladder door and davit covers.
    I'm sure if you inquire they will make some for anyone who wants them.  Not for free thought.
    Here is a pic.

If you look close at the arch on the 370 you will see it 'folds', cool
  • skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    So would they make an arch for a 2002 270 if I asked?  I didn't know they made parts to order
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
    @skennelly, I was talking about the davit covers. Just mentioned the arch due to it's folding capability.
    @alswagg, yes stayed at Brook Point and did eat at channel Marker, also the Frog.
  • skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    @Mercury2005 - Right...but they built a swim platform for you???  Would they do an arch is my question?
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
    @skennelly. They already had the mold for the swim platform, so it was just a matter of using the mold to make a platform. I do not know if they build their own arch's or not. They may sub-contract them to their design.  Would not hurt to ask about an arch for your boat. Worst case is they will say no, or direct you to someone who can do it.
  • randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great people, when I went on the Rinker tour, Steve was my guide, also eat at Frog. The day I was there was a Friday and the workers were off, but it was cool to see the different stages of completion. and Quality craftsman ship, that was awesome they cranked one out that fast, for you.
    Boat Name : 

@randy56, I am also surprised by the quick turn-around and it was their idea not mine. I think they felt bad due to me flying out, renting a truck and then finding out it was the wrong color.
    I was able to chat with a lot of the workers and one guy who has worked there for 17 years said he could have built my boat, cool to think about that.
    Chatting with Kim was cool also. They were all great and friendly folks.
  • jme097jme097 Member Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭
    I have the davit covers on my 2007 280. Awesome pictures. Must of been very interesting for sure!
    Boat Name: Knot A Worry
    2007 280 Rinker Express 6.2L B3
  • Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,550 mod

That is very cool!!!!!  I really need to get out there to see the place and more importantly to chat with the wonderful people!  Amazing they could build that for you so quickly!

@Mercury2005 - are you coming up to Rinkervous this weekend?  If so, bring some pics so we can hear a bit more about it all!

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    LaRea said:
    Covers for the davit locations - interesting.  I've never seen that on any boat.  I wonder if that's a Rinker innovation.
    I have them on my 280EC. I am happy that it does have them.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    All that the covers are is King Starboard Anti Skid cut to cover those locations.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
    @Dream_Inn, we were going to the Rinkervous but plans changed, so we wish the best to all that attend, be safe and have a great time.
    CORRECTION - big boat in photo is a 320 not 370.
  • J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,054 ✭✭✭✭✭
    so what are you doing with the old platform? :) 
    @J3ff, right now we are having a round tubing bar bent for around it, then it will be for sale.
    Here are pics of the type of bar we are having made. This bar is mounted on a Formula.
  • davidbrooksdavidbrooks Member Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭✭
    That looks awesome. I would love to put that on mine as well.  Tell him to make more.
    It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!
  • rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think it would last long with my docking skills....but it looks sweet!
    Have him make 3, I'm in for a bar for the stock 270 swim platform! 
  • summerxsummerx Member Posts: 211 ✭✭✭
    I like that as well.  I would think the swim ladder wouldn't work with that there, however?  at least on my 310 it wouldn't without some modifications.
  • boatman37boatman37 Member Posts: 797 ✭✭✭
    Dock neighbor has that bar on his Cobalt. He bought it brand new and I think the bar was on there from the factory.
    Thanks to all for the comments.
    @summerx, the rail will be in two pieces, one will mount on the star side around to the swim ladder and then another seperate bar will mount on the port side from the swim ladder around the platform. So the ladder will be totally accessable.
    @J3ff they are not cheap, being a 'one-off' at $2k, sure you want one?
    The factory can make these by the hundreds probably using automated bending machines. Mine will be 'hand made', hense the cost.
    2k?!?! oh man, that's too rich for my blood, tapping out, thank you for letting me know that piece of info!! haha
  • zaverin1zaverin1 Member Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    You mean reasons it’s 2k because whoever is making it is making one lol not 10

They still use a tube bender and a welder but most of them are hand made unless it’s a high volume production piece.
    what worries me about that rail on the platform is one good bump and it will create stress poins right where the rail mounts to the Glass
    @zach1104, yes this fabricator has the tube bender and welding equipment but is a one-off builder.  I too thought about stressing the platform if bumped and may reinforce the backside with wood/fiberglass in those areas where the rail is bolted.
  • MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That looks great.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"