Zebra Mussels Found on our Lake...how to prevent damage on our 410 FV?

Big story broke on local TV & radio two days ago that Zebra Mussels were found in Lake Travis.  Never had to worry about them before and didn't see any evidence of infestation during when the boat was out of water in February 2017 for a bottom job.

I presume our 410 FV will now require additional regular maintenance to prevent Zebra Mussels from causing damage.  What is recommended to combat Zebra Mussel damage to engines, drives, generator, hull, etc.

Thanks for your input!

Treemagnet

Comments

• WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    We have both zebra and quagga mussels in Lake Simcoe. From what I've seen so far, not a huge issue unless your boat never moves. I've seen a few small ones on outdrives and I suppose you'd want to check your generator or other raw water intakes once a year, otherwise not an issue. Never seen one on a fibreglass hull.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270
  • Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep, just check metal components and knock em off. I only get them on my outdrive mounts when we pull out in the fall and by spring they are so dry they fall off from a light brushing 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The key is run your engines to temperature at least once a week. That will help prevent them from growing on the inside. The hot water kills them.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • IanIan Member Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    We've had them here on the Mohawk for years, some years better or worse than others. Nothing you can do will stop them, getting off the dock helps but if one attaches 2 minutes after you get back, going out the next day won't blow him off. And when dead they are still stuck. If bottom painted, minimal issue, if not then they can build up in the chine corners. If real bad, your marina will likely charge extra for removal.

When anchored out and swimming, apart from scrubbing the port side waterline (non dock side) I usually have a look around drives, transom and rams and trim tabs etc with a paint scraper and knock them off or even by hand but note they can be sharp so gloves are recommended.
    Post edited by Ian on

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• 69fastback69fastback Member Posts: 948 ✭✭✭
    Use the boat.  All the lakes have them up here, and they're not the devil that some make them out to be. Lake Ray Roberts has them bad. One of the worst concentrations of them, and it's one of the top fishing lakes in North Texas, and the water is very clean as a added bonus. Just use your boat, and it'll be fine. 
  • Lake_BumLake_Bum Member Posts: 918 ✭✭✭✭
    Clean water isn't a bonus.  The Mussels are filtering the plankton out of it (eating it) and in turn, the young fish as fry don't have enough to eat.  They are the devil.  If your boat sits for awhile, they will plug up your impellers, and overheat the engine.  Regular use, and trailering your boat and letting it dry out are the best ways to get rid of them  B)
    2000 Captiva 232 
  • 69fastback69fastback Member Posts: 948 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Yet every lake here has them, and have for years, and the fishing is great......weird all those young fish don't have enough to eat, but record fish are still being caught. Like I said, use your boat and enjoy the clean water. That's what I've done the entire life of my boat, and I've caught plenty of fish doing it, and zero issues. 
  • F1100F1100 Member Posts: 292 ✭✭✭
    We have them on lake simcoe, they are not an issue. My boat sits in the water for 7 months, and when it comes out for the winter all I have to do is clean a few of them off the trim tabs with a light brush.

100% have your boat hull painted however

They do clean the water up nice as a side effect
    1993 300 FIESTA VEE TWIN 5.7L ALPHA GEN 2
  • Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ++Lake_Bum.  That 'clear water' allows algae blooms and as noted snuff out the bottom of the food chain. 

Send your thanks to Mother Russia. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • TreemagnetTreemagnet Member Posts: 14 ✭✭
    Thanks for all the info, I'll provide an update regarding any impact when we haul out in the spring for wax and bottom paint check (last repaint 2/2017).