Cooler in 342

Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭✭✭
We are about to start a 10 day trip on the 342 and plan to do as much pre provisioning as we can. The two fridges are nice but I'm sure we will need more space. Have any 342 owners found a way to take a cooler along without taking too much space? What cooler did you use? I'm thinking we can perhaps fit a cooler under the stairs. 
07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

Comments

• Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I put my cooler towards the front berth on the floor. Stays in place pretty good. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod

Yes, you'll want a cooler.  It should fit nicely under the stairs or possibly under the helm seat.  Although, I agree with BD that up front might be good for the rides getting some weight up there.  We usually do two 10-day trips a year, but this August we are prepping for our first 17-day trip.  Definitely going to have to pit stop for restocking the food!

Enjoy the 10-day!  Where are you heading?

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    We picked up a 45 qt Rtic for our 2 week trip next month.  I was thinking the same thing.  Slide it up toward the V-berth when underway.  It has rubber feet that should hold onto the Lonseal floor fairly well.

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks Gang - Stodge we have a 45qt Yeti so I was hoping that you were going to say that yours will fit under the stairs :) I dont think it will fit though. Like the idea of putting it up front, the Admiral may like that for getting in and out of bed all week. I've got a 25qt igloo I am hoping will fit under the stairs on a towel.

We are headed up the Detroit river, through lake St Clair and up the St Clair river. Plan to stop at Gross Ile, Gross Point YC, MacRay Harbor, Port Huron and Detroit Yacht Club. We are traveling with 5 boats and are super excited. Runs will be 45 - 70 miles each. 

• zaverin1zaverin1 Member Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    Detroit yacht club
    required a membership or knowing someone's that's there 
    @shawnmjr the plan is to be at GIYC this coming Saturday night. If the lake is bumpy though we will leave Sunday and bypass GIYC. Hopefully we can leave Sat and make it.
    @zaverin1 - DYC accepts reciprocal boaters from other clubs as long as they are based 50 miles or more away from DYC and the home club is a member of ILYA or AYC. We meet all of that criteria so we do not have to be a member or know a member to go there. Reservations made weeks ago. Similar story for GIYC and GPYC. 

• wm61356wm61356 Member Posts: 201 ✭✭✭
    @liberty44140-what days will you be at MacRay? that's where I dock so perhaps we'll get a chance to have a cocktail or two.
    Thanks Shawn, right now we are just passing through GI but if we do stop I will keep this in mind.
    Hi @wm61356 - we are staying at MacRay Aug 1 - 3. Any advice for getting in there? the charts make it look pretty shallow but the people we are traveling with have been in before so I plan to just follow them in. They said that there is a channel from anchor bay straight in to the harbor. 

I tried to get it under the stairs but no luck.  It fit beside them OK though.

Let me know when you get to MacRay Harbor.  I only live a few miles away.

Sounds good - I will post back when we are there. 

• wm61356wm61356 Member Posts: 201 ✭✭✭

@Liberty4410 - The lake level is up this year so you shouldn't have any problems with depth if you're following the chart. There are two marinas next to each other, Belle Maer Harbor and MacRay (MR) Harbor. You will cross the entrance channel to Belle Maer first. Watch for it. The Belle Maer channel is well marked and extends out into Anchor Bay further than the entrances to MR.

A landmark for MR is the large American flag at the waters edge. You want enter the first entrance to MR which is located 1 mile north of the Clinton River and 3 miles north of Metro Beach. The MR Waypoints are: 4236.609 N 08247.746 W. As you approach this channel the flag should be to starboard and the channel to Belle Maer will be to port. As you enter the marina, the fuel docks, member services office, and sundry store will be on your starboard side. Transient docks are in the third aisle on the starboard side, just past the fuel docks.

Upon entering the marina call on VHF channel 14. They will guide you to your dock and have someone there to assist you in tying up, if you'd like them to.

If you miss the first MR channel and enter the second channel, the flag will be to port and you have gone too far. I hope you have an enjoyable trip and hope to see you there.

• WildboatingWildboating Member Posts: 957 ✭✭✭
    So Jealous!!   We were supposed to be making a very similiar trip in August however another year past and another failed attempt to find our hidden engine gremilin.   I hope you have a great time and awesome weather.  We lucked out for the races last week and had near glass conditions on the lake saturday for the ride out.    
    2003 Rinker 342 Fiesta Vee, 350 Mag MPI, Bravo 3 2.20:1 w/ 22p 4 x4 props

• Autodog61Autodog61 Member Posts: 92 ✭✭

I bought a 100 qt at Costco for prior boat.  Tied it down on transom.  Worked fine. If you have a dighny on transom wouldnt that provide adequate shade.  Costco sells both Yeti and this KYSEK. 40 QT all the way up to this 105Qt   

KYSEK 105 Quart Ultimate Ice Chest Cooler

Holy Smokes, don't forget the bilge plug!
    WM thanks! I will have these instructions printed and in hand!!!

Wild, so sorry that you can't make the trip this year. We are going the same week as some other boats but if that didn't work out we were seriously considering going later and meeting you at jobbie nooner. Next year!

Auto I have been wrestling with the swim platform but I'm worried that I'll be thinking about it the entire ride :)

edited August 2017
    Half way in to the trip. Great run from Sandusky bay to the Detroit river and then to gross point yacht club on Sunday. What an awesome club! Today we ran over to strawberry island and did a raft up for a while, will post pics when I have them, and now settled in at MacRay until Thursday. Never really needed a cooler, fridges were enough, just have a small soft side with a few things in it. Good stuff. Cellular and wifi won't let me upload pics but I will later.

MacRay has decent Wifi.  Ask the guest services folks for access.